Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box Gold Box & other SSI D&D classics released on Steam & GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These are out. Tell me if you find the official launch trailers on YouTube.

From last week: https://bleedingcool.com/games/sneg-director-chats-dungeons-dragons-gold-box-classic-set/

SNEG Director Chats Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box Classic Set

Last week, SNEG revealed they will be releasing several Dungeons & Dragons classic PC titles in what's being called the Gold Box Classic set. Since that time, we've now found out they will be divided up into three different collections, as well as individual releases on Steam, so you can essentially pick and choose which ones you want or get everything together in a fancy set. Before those come out, the team set us up with an interview with SNEG director, Oleg Klapovskiy, who went into detail about the company and a little bit on the D&D titles before they are all released on March 29th, 2022.

Credit: SNEG

BC: Hey Oleg, first off, tell us a little about SNEG. How was the company formed and what was the motivation for it?

Klapovskiy: In early 2020 a friend of mine, Elena Roor (coming from the games services business), found herself both on maternity leave and in lockdown. To keep it together, she came up with a side project where she'd look for games that made her feel nostalgic and were, in her mind, the "most technically broken" and try to bring them back to life. That game happened to be Diggles: The Myth of Fenris. Soon after, I started helping Elena as an advisor and investor. One project led to another and fast forward to October 2021 the company shaped to how we know it today with three of us pushing it forward [with] Elena, Artem Shchuiko, my ex-colleague from GOG days, and myself.

What's the idea behind SNEG as a company and what goals does it have for the industry?

I think that in order to answer this question properly, I'll need to dive a bit into how the overall entertainment industry looks from the cultural point of view. Video games get old and sometimes forgotten many times faster than movies or music. From a purely human perspective, we can't replay the game from our childhood at any time, while we can watch an old movie or listen to a song from that time. Games are part of our culture, and we want to preserve them. That's the main idea behind SNEG. If we try to simplify it, we can say that we want to ensure all great gaming mechanics, games themselves, and the IPs that we loved 20+ years ago are readily available to anyone.

What is your experience with retro/classic gaming? Are you personally a fan of older games over newer ones? Which ones are your favorites?

I've spent 12 years at GOG (or as it was originally called – Good Old Games). When we launched GOG, nobody but us believed there was a market for old games. Over these 12 years, GOG not only established the market for old games but also brought many IPs back to life and motivated many developers to create re-masters of the classics. I'm grateful that I was able to be part of this journey. I've been a gamer for as long as I can remember. I love playing both old and new games. Sometimes it's interesting to see how certain game mechanics from the past get forgotten for decades and re-appear later to help some games to become massive hits. As for my personal PC favorites from the past, I'd name Sid Meier's Civilization, Eye of the Beholder, Half-Life, Diablo II, and Neverhood.

Some of the first titles you've published on Steam include classics like Blade of Darkness, Fantasy General, and the Witchaven. What made you choose those games to start with?

I think that behind each IP we work on, there is a story of one of us. A story of passion, love, and great memories. The Fantasy General IP was lost for many years as it went through dozens of mergers, acquisitions, and bankruptcies – even though it has some of the best strategy gaming mechanics. I'm happy that not only the original game is available, but also new games were developed on this IP. Witchaven was in legal hell for quite some time. Blade of Darkness is a similar case, as, for many years, different parties believed they had the rights for it and we were able to define the actual rights holder. And this IP is really unique as it was the first gore-heavy mature RPG game on the market. It was almost impossible to launch this game on modern OSs, due to technical issues, but we've managed to make it all work.

Will you be bringing any of these games to platforms beyond Steam?

The goal is to bring these games to as many gamers as possible. It appears that Steam has the biggest PC gaming community in the world, but we are also working with the GOG and Humble Bundle teams. As for the other platforms, we'll definitely check them out one day to see if there is an interest in these classics there.

Is SNEG only looking to re-release older titles or are there any plans on the horizon to improve those games or produce original titles?

For us, the most important thing is to bring back the elements that made certain games stand out. Some games are known for their mechanics, others became cult classics because of the story, others were known as the precursors of a specific genre. How can we create or honor these elements now? By re-releasing the original game and later on creating a new game based on similar mechanics or just making a sequel – all options are on the table.

Are there specific licenses you'd love to acquire and help bring to modern PCs?

There are a few, and we are progressing in our discussions on them. If we are talking about our dream games, they vary from Chasm: The Rift, No One Lives Forever, Black & White, Neverhood, Ecstatica, and Myth: The Fallen Lords. The list is long.

What tech do you use to bring the older titles to Steam? Is it DOSbox, or some other application?

It all depends on the game. We have an individual approach for each. If source code (or even a part of it) is available, we are working with it and tweaking the game based on it. If not – we might reverse engineer it. In the case of games from the DOS era, like the Gold Box Classics, we work directly with the DOSBox team to ensure the best performance.

As you bring these games to market, what sort of improvements are you making to them? Will you be adding extra tools and helper apps like you have with the Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box titles?

Almost all classic games have some historical bugs, problems, and issues. We are trying to make as many improvements to them as possible, which includes fixing these bugs when we can. We always start with checking community feedback on the game. They are our best helpers. Throughout these years, they've spotted all the problems, proposed different solutions on how to make the gaming experience better, and even created the mods. They are really great people! We always take such things into consideration and try to convince the most active community members to join our dev team for related projects and to reward them for their hard work and passion.

Are you adding in any extras to the games when they launch? Like art books, soundtracks, cheat codes, modding, etc?

I think this is part of our DNA, we always try to add as many bonus goodies as possible to the games we release. Sometimes these are just manuals, sometimes hint books, clue books, soundtracks, etc. When it comes to mods – we try to ensure games we release are compatible with the main mods used by the community.

Looking ahead, are there any other titles you're looking to acquire in the near future?

We currently have a significant list of titles in our dev team's pipeline that's keeping us busy, and we'll be announcing those titles as we get closer to each one's release date.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Dark Sun collection will offer the turn-based game Shattered Lands and its sequel Wake of the Ravager - neither of which used the Gold Box engine - set in the highly problematic setting inclusive of slavery, bioessentialism and racism."

hIgHLy pRoBleMaTiC sLaVeRY & rAcIsM

I am a little surprised that Dark Sun is considered more objectionable to progs than generic fantasy. The problematic and reactionary aspects of generic fantasy are kind of obvious.

I thought Dark Sun was somehow more progressive or anti-traditional than generic fantasy, which is part of the reason I wasn't that enthusiastic about the setting when it first came out. (The games were decent for their time despite the ugly heavy metal random leather straps and spikes aesthetics.)

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Pool of Radiance, while good, is vastly overrated.
No, it really was an effort to mirror PnP D&D and for the most part, it's guilty of being too accurate. They included the boring stuff as well as the exciting stuff.

The encounter design is terrible,
Follows AD&D Random encounters pretty closely. Also allows you to clear areas which drops random encounters to 0. Has some phenomenal encounters.

there isn't enough experience without grinding duels,
Follows AD&D xp system pretty closely. Nicely paced to allow you to finish game at max level even without grinding. Overall, I suspect its one of the better games for allowing one to feel a sense of progression until the end. It's a rip off that wights can drain levels and spiders can instantly kill and you get a measly amount of xps for either, but that's AD&D.

it has fewer classes than the other GB games,
Follows AD&D class system. Not sure what's missing - maybe you could clarify?

and it lacks various QoL features from the subsequent GB games.
Follows AD&D PnP system of resting and gaining spells. It doesn't have a "click a campfire icon to get back all health and spells" - true. I agree future Gold Box games made it easier in some mundane tasks, but mundane tasks are part of cRPGs. Without them, its pressing a button for something exciting to happen.

boring wilderness
:roll:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Pool of Radiance, while good, is vastly overrated.
No, it really was an effort to mirror PnP D&D and for the most part, it's guilty of being too accurate. They included the boring stuff as well as the exciting stuff.
Yeah, I don't give points for deliberately including boring things.

The encounter design is terrible,
Follows AD&D Random encounters pretty closely. Also allows you to clear areas which drops random encounters to 0. Has some phenomenal encounters.
At least half the encounters in Pool of Radiance are things like 50 hobgoblins or 50 orcs or 50 kobolds. Aside from the obvious problem of encounters lasting upwards of 20 minutes, it's all trash. You one-shot an enemy, his replacement waddles up and you wait your turn so you can one-shot him as well. You don't get Fireballs until a lot later, so there's really no fast way to clear all the garbage. The best encounters in the game are the ones that avoid this, like the troll fight in the slums and the Tyranthraxus fight.

there isn't enough experience without grinding duels,
Follows AD&D xp system pretty closely. Nicely paced to allow you to finish game at max level even without grinding. Overall, I suspect its one of the better games for allowing one to feel a sense of progression until the end. It's a rip off that wights can drain levels and spiders can instantly kill and you get a measly amount of xps for either, but that's AD&D.
There absolutely is not enough XP to hit max level without grinding. I played through the game not 2 months ago. I did every quest and cleared every section of Phlan. Not one of my party members hit level 8, and I still had to grind duels.

it has fewer classes than the other GB games,
Follows AD&D class system. Not sure what's missing - maybe you could clarify?
The Ranger and Paladin that were added in the following game.

and it lacks various QoL features from the subsequent GB games.
Follows AD&D PnP system of resting and gaining spells. It doesn't have a "click a campfire icon to get back all health and spells" - true. I agree future Gold Box games made it easier in some mundane tasks, but mundane tasks are part of cRPGs. Without them, its pressing a button for something exciting to happen.
I will gladly take my casual newfag Fix button that saves me at least an hour over the course of the game. Removing the need to heal/rest/heal/rest/heal/rest was an improvement.

There were other UI improvements made in Curse as well, like being able to move automatically in combat by pushing a direction key, and duplicate spells being represented as Hold Person (4) instead of Hold Person written out 4 times.

Berengar

Learned
The bundling and pricing is so strange lol. Collection 2 is the most bang for your buck. Although 30-something for all of the games is fine too.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There absolutely is not enough XP to hit max level without grinding. I played through the game not 2 months ago. I did every quest and cleared every section of Phlan. Not one of my party members hit level 8, and I still had to grind duels.
Grind Rolf duels? Are you fucking kidding me? Were you playing human or tri-classed Half-elves?

And if you didn't hit max lev on a tri-class, then remove the party members and start a new game adding them back in. It is a short jaunt to the big T. The game is pretty damn replayable. Maybe I come from a time when we had limited income and waited for releases based on store availability (I should have used mail order catalogs). Maybe they are shit mobs and maybe not not, but we plowed through the game. I don't get this one-shot mentality or being a bitch about "garbage mobs." Shit is supposed to wear you down on the off chance to cripple or kill the party. Or maybe you'll succeed and reap even the shit benefits/rewards. And with GBC you can FIX. No need to complain about the game.

But that's my opinion. I played nainly on c64 and Dos. Maybe if i gave every platform its due space I'd agree but you're looking a a combat fag grinder who enjoys grinding mobs to dust and thrn some. Clearing areas to zero encounters is MOST SATISFYING that the later games took away.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
Are the games completely unchanged or did they incorporate the later additions to the earlier games ?

For instance, Pool of Radiance didn't offer as many classes as its sequels would. And it'd be nice to be able to use the pregenerated character sprites of DQK in earlier games (as they're much better-looking).

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
they made a custom launcher and gold box companion is included by default, so no, it's not the same

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
upload_2022-3-30_0-12-49.png

Infinitron proves once again what an absolute cunt he is.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

You obviously can't have found all the loot, 'cause that's where the big XP is, including the loot you get from completing missions.

Erebus

Arcane
The madlads even included Hillsfar, for Mystra's sake ! I have to replay that godawful piece of shit at least once.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I am a little surprised that Dark Sun is considered more objectionable to progs than generic fantasy. The problematic and reactionary aspects of generic fantasy are kind of obvious.

I thought Dark Sun was somehow more progressive or anti-traditional than generic fantasy, which is part of the reason I wasn't that enthusiastic about the setting when it first came out.
The Dark Sun campaign setting had an associated storyline with a series of 5 novels and a few related adventure modules, both of which began with a revolt in one of the city-states (Tyr) that resulted in the abolition of slavery, eventually followed by revelations that the setting had become environmentally-devastated as a consequence of a genocidal war to exterminate non-human sentient races, in a conflict that was led by the current villains of the setting (the sorcerer-kings of the city-states and the Dragon). However, progressivism has degenerated to such an extent that even the existence of such evils as slavery or genocide in a campaign setting are regarded as "toxic" and "problematic". Progressives now prefer to play in a mushy, super-generic, pseudo-medieval campaign setting such as the Forgotten Realms, where they can easily make the culture and society as ahistorical, anachronous, and anodyne as they prefer; a stand-in for their own parochial 21st-century pseudo-culture.

(The games were decent for their time despite the ugly heavy metal random leather straps and spikes aesthetics.)
d71de1f2be8d1d0b1d485bd730a40a6c.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
why'd they go through all the effort of putting those games on steam then skip over the best goldbox game, Countdown to Doomsday?

Erebus

Arcane
The Dark Sun campaign setting had an associated storyline with a series of 5 novels

I've only read the first one and it was a long time ago, but from what I've heard about, those five novels half-destroyed the setting by removing 90% of its main villains.

newtmonkey

Arcane
There is more than enough experience in Pool of Radiance to reach max level for most characters, without having to fight even a single duel. In fact, I had the opposite problem; everyone but my fighters reached max level approximately 80% through the game, just through normally playing the game.

Encounter design is great, too, unless you boost all your abilities to 18.

Herumor

Scholar
They should make a new Dark Sun game setting during the Cleansing Wars that lets us play as the most based Sorcerer-King of all, that being Hamanu of Urik, and then develop our city-state from there on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom