Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Alright, seeing all you guys suffer made me go back and get it working again.
Set it to fullscreen in-game for the best experience.

Hark, hark! Come and get:

AdolfSatan's
SMALL UI FIX

So, the issue with the game is that the menus have been designed on the very bizarre resolution of 1000x730, and while the game scales to your native res, the ui does not. Best possible solution right now is to make a compromise and get everything to run at that.
What this fix does is resize your screen, launch kotc2, then back to native after you close it.

It's set to run on standard installation directories and a 1920x1080 res. If you've got any other configurations, right click kotc2res.bat > edit with notepad and adjust accordingly, it's just 4 lines, super-easy to understand, no programming knowledge required. If something doesn't run, right click > properties > compatibility tab > check admin rights box

UPDATED LINK 2022
ChangeScreenResolution.exe goes to C:\Windows
kotc2res.bat goes to C:\Knights of the Chalice 2
KotC2fix is a shortcut, place on desktop or wherever

Alternatively, if you're on win 7, 10, or 11, go to System Settings > Display, and set everything to 125%

Last edited:

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Is there a way to remove your own characters or NPCs from the party that I am simply too dense to see? You appear to be 'locked in' to the party once you select who you want.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

AdolfSatan's
SMALL UI FIX

So, the issue with the game is that the menus have been designed on the very bizarre resolution of 1000x730, and while the game scales to your native res, the ui does not. Best possible solution right now is to make a compromise and get everything to run at that.
What this fix does is resize your screen, launch kotc2, then back to native after you close it.

It's set to run on standard installation directories and a 1920x1080 res. If you've got any other configurations, right click kotc2res.bat > edit with notepad and adjust accordingly, it's just 4 lines, super-easy to understand, no programming knowledge required. If something doesn't run, right click > properties > compatibility tab > check admin rights box

UPDATED LINK 2022

Alternatively, if you're on win 7, 10, or 11, go to System Settings > Display, and set everything to 125%

Or alternatively you can download a tiny app called reso (or reso7) that will create the file/shortcut, you can set up the resolution, it even has a gui. I used it from the start. Basically same thing.
http://www.bcheck.net/apps/reso.htm

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Is there a way to remove your own characters or NPCs from the party that I am simply too dense to see? You appear to be 'locked in' to the party once you select who you want.
You can choose to put someone in reserves(inactive). Formation screen, on the left. What else do you need? Afaik when inactive they aren't in the party for all practical purposes. Except they can be reactivated if you want.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Got the Steam key for backers! Also, here's a slightly better cover art to use on Steam, the default one really bothered me:

qlm1aHq.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can I rest in the tutorial? I have a red wizard an he is out of spells. I am after the golems and before the skeleton+centipede+snake fight.

The earliest location to rest is after you pull the first lever which opens the merchant area. There is campfire in the merchant area

After that there should be some rest location too. On the 2nd highest difficulty I have spare 1 rest including defeating the optional red dragon so it should be fine. Just save when you are in crossroads because the rest area should be in 1 of them, if you don't mind save scumming in case you fail.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Do you guys craft anything in Finchbury?
Yep, two or three leather armours (non masterwork) for the rats and bees fights. But you probably didn't ask about crafting like that.

Which school is most profitable for spell focus?
I went with conjuration because it seems to traditionally have some of the best crowd control and debuffs spells. However i just started the main campaign, haven't finished the starter town yet so i don't know how it will work in practice.

I heard red wizards are good but they need to be in groups of six.

:smug:

Yosharian

Arcane
Man come on. Isn't there some way to upscale this shit? Doesn't NVIDIA have a built-in driver upscaler now?
There are application to upscale it software-wise, i found two, maybe there are more. Didn't work for me, one is Win 10, another didn't work. Maybe you'll have more luck. What i did is "downgrade" the resolution on my side automatically when the game starts. Works well for me.
Wat

Why would you downgrade it? please explain

When I go fullscreen it just goes all fuzzy and shit
Ah, sorry. "Fuzzy and shit" seems the game doesn't like your graphic card or drivers... But why would upscaling help with that then?
I didn't have that problem. It displays fine for me, is just too small with my native resolution.

Edit: Maybe try those applications i mentioned, Lossless Scaling is one. Is Win 10, ~4$ but there is a demo. It supposedly can upscale almost anything.
Maybe it's something to do with my Windows settings, it's like Windows isn't scaling the resolution properly

Yosharian

Arcane
Alright, seeing all you guys suffer made me go back and get it working again.
Set it to fullscreen in-game for the best experience.

AdolfSatan's
SMALL UI FIX

UPDATED LINK 2022

Quoting so I can find this again later on

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Unfortunately I cannot play.
I have set the formation. I have met Necrofartius. And one of my wizards has been placed in the first row from the back.
And my party begin the battle surrounded in the middle of the room. They must be bumbling idiots. Bumbled into a TRAP!

IS it absolutely necessary to have a Psionist? What about a Druid? Don't like either of those classes, especially psionist, could deal with having a druid I guess.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
IS it absolutely necessary to have a Psionist? What about a Druid? Don't like either of those classes, especially psionist, could deal with having a druid I guess.

You can do without, but Psionist is super good for crowd control. Druid can mostly be replaced with a cleric, but you'll miss out on a lot of dialogue/pre-encounter options.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

You don't have to but stomp and later greater stomp will be your bread and butter, then energy stun and all the nuking spells, it's just endless.
The druid has great summons and a couple of invaluable spells like quicksand, earthquake, sirocco, and another one which can stun even gargantuan creatures, i can't remember the name.

There's an alternative, Storm warriors, less druid spells and fighter BAB or psion hybrids.

Or you could just skip them but then, I'd still recommend 3 casters at least (cleric, bishop and wiz or even two wizards)

You don't have to but stomp and later greater stomp will be your bread and butter, then energy stun and all the nuking spells, it's just endless.
The druid has great summons and a couple of invaluable spells like quicksand, earthquake, sirocco, and another one which can stun even gargantuan creatures, i can't remember the name.

There's an alternative, Storm warriors, less druid spells and fighter BAB or psion hybrids.

Or you could just skip them but then, I'd still recommend 3 casters at least (cleric, bishop and wiz or even two wizards)
was thinking

Fighter
Gladiator
Cleric
Bard
Rogue

then one other..either Bishop, Storm Warrior, Mage Knight, Champion or Paladin, but probably one of the more magic casters of that group.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
No class is absolutely necessary, you just need enough firepower and CC potential to go through the colossal set of challenges that this game is, and you can achieve that in multiple different ways. Having a Psionicist and a Druid is advisable because both bring to the table unique spells that are incredibly useful in most situations and that can outright trivialize certain encounters. I specifically remember two fights that traumatized many backers who played the game early without a Druid and that were a joke in my playthroughs thanks to Quicksand and Animal Trance. Moreover, having different classes and races in your party opens up more interactions to gain various advantages during many encounters, and in this game you need all the advantages you can get.

Fighter
Gladiator
Cleric
Bard
Rogue

then one other..either Bishop, Storm Warrior, Mage Knight, Champion or Paladin, but probably one of the more magic casters of that group.
I would never play the game with a party like this. Having a Psionicist and a Druid isn't mandatory, but you still need at the very least 3-4 casters. Melee characters can wreck enemies with their incredible feats and overpowered weapon properties, but I can't imagine going through chapter 3 and especially chapter 4 without AT LEAST 4 full casters. My Mantis Gladiator and Half-Giant Fighter were able to deal hundreds and hundreds of damage in a single round, but in chapter 4 they were useless compared to the rest of the team who could delete dozens of enemies with a spell.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
was thinking

Fighter
Gladiator
Cleric
Bard
Rogue

No psionicist, no wizard, no druid then ... you're so fucked!
I'd replace the rogue, it's ok with a classic party (wiz, psion, cleric, fighter) but not with this one.

Late game lichs, wizards dragons and giant spider are going to rape you!

No class is absolutely necessary, you just need enough firepower and CC potential to go through the colossal set of challenges that this game is, and you can achieve that in multiple different ways. Having a Psionicist and a Druid is advisable because both bring to the table unique spells that are incredibly useful in most situations and that can outright trivialize certain encounters. I specifically remember two fights that traumatized many backers who played the game early without a Druid and that were a joke in my playthroughs thanks to Quicksand and Animal Trance. Moreover, having different classes and races in your party opens up more interactions to gain various advantages during many encounters, and in this game you need all the advantages you can get.
I just kept kept seeing people say you needed to have these two classes, so was not sure how strictly they meant this...looking deeper into the classes, it looks like many of them can do abilities of other classes anyway, but perhaps its to get the special interactions that they were mentioning for why these classes might be particularly valuable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom