Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Little details in RPGs that annoy you

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
unless you're arguing for literally Shakespearean English or conlangs, I don't see the point, i.e. I don't imagine the people in Fantasyland speaking English in the first place. I always imagine it's a translation of their native tongue I'm reading, and in their native tongue, a peasant may absolutely talk like that.

Right. So by this logic, why bother having voice actors in RPGs even attempt any kind of a semi-authentic accent, or to even sound "evil" or "menacing" or "pious"?

Also, why even bother to render weapons and armor or castles or anything else in any form that the player might find to fit in with what the game's setting is supposed to represent?

I mean none of that really means anything, right?

Suspension of disbelief is a thing.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Something I hate is the complete separation of constitution & strength. If you watch a strongman competition, those men look like someone who has maxed out their CON scores to me. While not the same, they're clearly intrinsically linked with each other. I assume this was based on the idea of a bodybuilder compared to a strongman, but the latter would have both higher strength and constitution.
Yeah, also a pet peeve of mine. That makes no sense. Base strength, stamina, resistance, all is linked to CON. Someone with no muscles can't be resistant. Fight damage should be linked to weapon proficiency, since your strength is at least good enough to fight well. Huge powerful opponents always have a higher constitution, no need for separate strength rating. The only case I see for a STR value is for pushing boulders or similar acts, where a perk "muscular" should work well enough.

I guess the separate stat allows for glass cannon characters, which are objectively ridiculous but may be fun gameplay-wise.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
unless you're arguing for literally Shakespearean English or conlangs, I don't see the point, i.e. I don't imagine the people in Fantasyland speaking English in the first place. I always imagine it's a translation of their native tongue I'm reading, and in their native tongue, a peasant may absolutely talk like that.

Right. So by this logic, why bother having voice actors in RPGs even attempt any kind of a semi-authentic accent, or to even sound "evil" or "menacing" or "pious"?

Also, why even bother to render weapons and armor or castles or anything else in any form that the player might find to fit in with what the game's setting is supposed to represent?

I mean none of that really means anything, right?

Suspension of disbelief is a thing.

By this logic you'd have voice actors doing a "menacing" impression because that's the character's disposition they're trying to bring across, not necessarily because those were the exact words the character spoke to yours.

If your suspension of disbelief hinges explicitly on playing in faux England, maybe you're just too anglo-centric :P

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Whether you like it or not, Dungeons and Dragons, and by extension all RPGs inspired by it (which is most of them) is and always has been very "Anglo-centric".

Even though it was born on the shores of Lake Geneva, WI.

Harthwain

Magister
There are obvious ones like grammatical errors and things of that sort, but name something more intentional than that, something the casual gamer wouldn't necessarily object to or even notice, but would stick out like a sore thumb to you and drive you crazy.

For me, I can't STAND it when an RPG based on a medieval model includes any kind of modern language and/or phrases in it as part of its actual PC or NPC dialog.

"Oh, I think that's so cool, Sir Bingleswort. You totally owned that dragon," would be a blatant and supernova-inducing example.

Go.

The point is to make it feel a bit more realistic by avoiding a lingo that's obviously contrary to the period you're trying to portray (even if it's just a quasi-medieval fantasy). It's similar to non-English speakers using a few non-English words and foreign accent to underline the nationality they are supposed to represent.

curds

Magister
Val the Moofia Boss

Check out Ted Nasmith's vision of that scene:

TN-Gandalf_Rides_to_Minas_Tirith.jpg

Serus

Arcane
Patron
But it's this kind of thinking that keeps DnD from feeling like realistic medieval combat. Power attacks, hitpoints, etc.

DnD isn't an attempt at anything resembling realism. It is a game with a very abstract and game-y combat system, not a realistic one. On purpose. There a place for both kinds of games. People who wants DnD to have a realistic combat are similar to people who want Panzer General-like games* to be realistic simulations of WW2. Also known as... well, people who do not understand that different games with different design goals do exist.
*You look for Gary Grigsby's games and similar games instead.

Vavra made this point before he was driven from here by the whining. A lot of RPG modeling was done as a massive abstraction back in the day because there was either no computers involved at all, or very primitive computers. Now, we have the hardware to delve much deeper, and these abstractions are no longer necessary. New deeper and more concrete models are required.

Are we still talking about Dungeons and Dragons? You know that pen & paper system? The computer games only use the existing DnD rules, slightly modified at best/worst. So how Vavra's claim has anything to do with the discussion?
Also by that logic, on computers, simulation > abstraction. Every time, which is not true.

It seems to me that you just want DnD to be more realistic because you like the idea of simulation but at the same time like/want to like DnD. Just like someone wanting to change a Panzer General game into a Gary Grigsby's game because he likes deep simulation of WW2 but he also like Panzer General. That' nonsense.
That, or you really believe in some rule: simulation > abstraction.

Are you sure that the point of D&D is simulating medieval combat?

Why, yes, yes I am. In any decent fantasy game/book/movie, the main character spends the bulk of their time fighting against other humanoids (humans, other human-like species, skeletons, undead, etc) using regular weapons. Fighting against dragons, mages, etc ought to be rather rare.

PorkyThePaladin said:
... your position seems to be that D&D is just too far removed from reality. It should be more realistic.
Sure, would be nice. IF that wont result in more mess/bad ideas than there currently are in D&D.

[Yes, let's not improve anything for fear of upsetting the cart.

Why would be the point of DnD be simulation because you fight humans? It doesn't matter with what you fight, you can still represent it in more-realistic or more abstract kind of way. DnD is - on purpose - highly abstract. A conscious decision on part of the authors starting with Gygax. It did not want to "simulate" anything other than in the most basic of ways: there are sides and they want to hurt each other. Want a less abstract combat systems in (c)rpg? Maybe GURPS? Probably not but i'm sure there are some games to your liking. But you probably wont find anything that is a good simulation and at the same time very playable in p&p.

Why would making DnD to be more realistic would be an improvement ? You seem so sure about it. Realistic approach isn't better or worse than an abstract one by itself. It all depends on your goals. Majority of boardgame, most computer games and even many p&p games don't attempt to simulate reality other than in very basic ways. They attempt to have interesting and varied rules and provide "fun" through that, not from faithful simulation of reality. DnD is on the very end of the spectrum abstraction <-> realism. The abstraction end.

Starting to make DnD more of simulation-y and less game-y, something it never was, after 40 years, would be silly. And pointless because the whole system is highly abstracted, not just parts of combat moves or whatever. You'd have to change most of it. Better make a fresh p&p or computer game system designed from the start with combat more faithful to reality. Or use one already existing.

TL;DR: Abstraction as good as simulation. Possibly better. DnD is very abstract. It always was. It is fun. Leave it that way.

Last edited:

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Related to the discussion about farmland above, another detail that annoys me is when it's made obvious that the author (of an RPG for example) lacks even a basic understanding of the concepts that they are working with.

Usually it'll get a pass from the casual audience but if you happen to know anything at all about the subject matter it'll take you right out of the moment and for me personally it puts the whole work into question.

"If the author does not even understand plumbing, what else does he not understand?" kinda thing.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Similar to the OP: Applying modern values to medieval societies. Full stop.

Somewhat acceptable in fantasy settings. Completely unacceptable in historical settings.

How about a conversation with Woedica about social engineering?

bobocrunch

Educated
The OP example is why I can't get into Pathfinder games at all, the writing is just so atrocious with how it tries to be medieval fantasy while everyone talks like a Twitter user
Edit: didn't read other responses before posting and lol

Item bloat is one of my biggest pet peeves, whether it's 1000 crafting items you don't use or 10000 potions you don't need

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Whether you like it or not, Dungeons and Dragons, and by extension all RPGs inspired by it (which is most of them) is and always has been very "Anglo-centric".

Even though it was born on the shores of Lake Geneva, WI.

I've had a similar experience with the Realms of Arkania games (or rather setting), which uses some archaic words and Middle High German terms for flavor. Still not quite a convincing delivery of some kind of medieval language, and so I had to suspend my disbelief and imagine that what I am reading is not literally what a character was saying, but rather something rendered understandable to me.

There are obvious ones like grammatical errors and things of that sort, but name something more intentional than that, something the casual gamer wouldn't necessarily object to or even notice, but would stick out like a sore thumb to you and drive you crazy.

For me, I can't STAND it when an RPG based on a medieval model includes any kind of modern language and/or phrases in it as part of its actual PC or NPC dialog.

"Oh, I think that's so cool, Sir Bingleswort. You totally owned that dragon," would be a blatant and supernova-inducing example.

Go.

The point is to make it feel a bit more realistic by avoiding a lingo that's obviously contrary to the period you're trying to portray (even if it's just a quasi-medieval fantasy). It's similar to non-English speakers using a few non-English words and foreign accent to underline the nationality they are supposed to represent.

see above, that's fine and dandy to create atmosphere and convey that a character belongs to a period more primitive than your own, but does it make for a convincing "language"? I think not.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Roll-dodge in action RPGs
It's unrealistic, it's repetitive and no fun at all

Fall damage when done bland as is. One bad step and you are dead - is nothing but bad design.
If you do any health loss/death mechanics - make it interesting to the player.

Codex Year of the Donut
The problem of anachronistic writing/spelling should have gotten better with time, yet it has only gotten worse. I guarantee there's some off the shelf grammar checker that could be easily tuned to detect these issues, they just don't care.
Yes, I do want to feel like I'm actually in Ye Olde Englaland when I'm playing a fantasy game, thank you very much.

Harthwain

Magister
TL;DR: Abstraction as good as simulation. Possibly better. DnD is very abstract. It always was. It is fun. Leave it that way.
There is also something to be said about having to keep track of everything "manually" in PnP and having a PC to keep track of all necessary calculations for you.

see above, that's fine and dandy to create atmosphere and convey that a character belongs to a period more primitive than your own, but does it make for a convincing "language"? I think not.
Language doesn't have to be "convincing" as such. We all know it wouldn't hold up to scrutiny. It's all about - as you said yourself - maintaining the pretense of action taking place in a certain setting or with certain people, without being 100% authentic. Some phrases or styles are going to help with that, some are going to have the opposite effect.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
There is also something to be said about having to keep track of everything "manually" in PnP and having a PC to keep track of all necessary calculations for you.
But that was one of my points. If you want a game that uses the ability of computers to calculate fast things that would take too long in p&p then design one from scratch. However D&D was designed as a p&p system. Computer games are only adaptation of the pre-existing D&D p&p game and must use rules that work in p&p.

On a side note, i'm yet to see a crpg that uses the real computing power of today's PCs for something else than graphics. This is outside the topic though.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem of anachronistic writing/spelling should have gotten better with time, yet it has only gotten worse. I guarantee there's some off the shelf grammar checker that could be easily tuned to detect these issues, they just don't care.
Yes, I do want to feel like I'm actually in Ye Olde Englaland when I'm playing a fantasy game, thank you very much.

I vastly prefer exotic fantasy to generic medieval, but even there I'd prefer the writing to feel like fantasy, not like 2020 urban Americans speaking to their college friends.

Any 21st century slang (or 20th century slang - if 80s and 90s games had used the slang of their era, it would have been just as unfitting) in a fantasy setting takes you out of the setting, because people in other societies don't talk like that.

The one thing an ancient Sumerian, classical Roman, medieval Knight, Japanese Samurai, Spanish Conquistador, WW2 soldier, fantasy wizard, etc all have in common is that they don't speak current year slang. Whenever characters in fiction do that, it transports you out of the setting that fiction is supposed to evoke and reminds you that the author is a retard.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I've had a similar experience with the Realms of Arkania games (or rather setting), which uses some archaic words and Middle High German terms for flavor. Still not quite a convincing delivery of some kind of medieval language, and so I had to suspend my disbelief and imagine that what I am reading is not literally what a character was saying, but rather something rendered understandable to me.
I completely agree, this is also a pet peeve of mine.

Flavor (or flavour?) text just screams fake to me. It is something that goes against my attempt to suspend my disbelief and to immerse myself in the setting. Maybe there is a way to render the correct flavor text, but I still haven't seen one that didn't look completely fake.

So in general I think that is better to use plain English. The feeling to live in a specific exotic or non-modern setting should be conveyed by the semantic of the words and their context, not by decoration text.

The thing is that, if I am actually roleplaying a native of some exotic region or of some historical period, I just shouldn't notice the exoticness of the language or that it belongs to some specific historical period, because that language is supposed to be mine. Also for this reason everything feels more natural if modern language is just used as plainly as possible.

Sykar

Arcane
-Magic being so unimaginative in cRPGs especially magic like Illusion which can be utilized really creatively in P&P. It all boils down to damage, defense, CC and debuffing. Occasionally some utility but you can hardly do anything creative with it. BG 2 had some creativity thanks to triggers and contingencies as did Daggerfall and Morrowind thanks to spellmaker but even they still felt limited. What I really miss is actually finding a rare and obscure spell. Are there any RPGs that do this? Or researching spells actually? Like most magic users are scholars to varying degrees yet you hardly ever do something scholarly even in an abstract sense.

-RPGs going 3D and not doing ANYTHING with the 3rd dimension. NWN is a good example of this. Minimal vertical exploration if any. If you are not interested in utilizing the 3rd dimenions, stick to fucking 2D or 2.5D. What a waste of resources going 3D and having little to no vertical exploration or combat systems or well anyhing.

-Speech being rarely utilized correctly. The only two RPGs I played which did it right were imho Fallout 1 and 2. FO:NV was close but they should have not shown the value but at least you could screw up the dialogue after the speech check still. See Lanius.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What writers think their anachronistic dialogue sounds like:

MV5BOTE0ZWY5N2UtZTlmMy00NGIwLTg4MGItMzkzYTY5OTYyOWIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

What it actually sounds like:

MV5BZjcyZmUxMzEtZjdlZS00NTM5LWJjZTUtOTU5MzgyMTFjNjQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_.jpg

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
No cute girls, every female has to look like an angry dyke or a man to be strong, really makes you think.

Info dumps everywhere, dropped Pillars of Eternity for that reason. I don't go telling the story of my town to random passerbys.

Guest characters occupying a slot of party memeber which means you need to leave someone out of the party and makes experience uneven later on.

Group has no infighting whatsoever, that's fucking unrealistic when people fight for the pettiest things, imagine them in high stress situations.

Elemental spells are basic shit like fire ball, ice spear etc. It's fucking magic you can get a little more creative.

Resurrecting party members during combat doesn't translate to the story where a fucking important character dies and no one thinks of using a resurrection spell or phoenix down.

Suspicious party member from the begining of the game is clearly planning to sell you out and no way to call him out before that happens.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't like it when an assassin dresses in the most, "I'm obviously a serial killer" way possible.

Gargaune

Magister
Stealing items from a merchant while he's looking straight at you and selling them back to him right away.
Corollary - merchants who instinctively know items are stolen, even when they're generic silverware you boosted two towns over.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
To me it always looks strange when your actions affect reputation/standing (not karma) when there's no one who could know about them.

A good example would be Demonicon, where the way you've dealt with the cannibal in a secluded cave is instantly known to anyone and his dog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom