Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starship Troopers: Terran Command - survival RTS from Order of Battle devs

Luka-boy

Arcane
I liked the first animated film (Invasion) quite a lot. It had pretty good action and was enjoyably cheesy, like an Aliens movie focused exclusively on the Marines.

Avoid Traitor of Mars like the plague though.

lightbane

Arcane
I get that the source material is absurdist (e.g. society collapsed because parents didn't spank their children),

I think that was a symptom of a failing society, not the main cause. The vets have enough of a failing state and decide to take over. What's idealistic in the book is that the world DOES NOT become a military dictatorship against all odds, despite what the movie made you believe.

The setting is underused. The power armors were crazy powerful (they're capable of flying for short distances and shooting micronukes IIRC) and it would make for a good power armor tactics game, whether it's in first person Terranova style, turn-based or even RTS.
There were more alien species than the insects, so there's no shortage for enemy factions if necessary.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I get that the source material is absurdist (e.g. society collapsed because parents didn't spank their children),

I think that was a symptom of a failing society, not the main cause. The vets have enough of a failing state and decide to take over. What's idealistic in the book is that the world DOES NOT become a military dictatorship against all odds, despite what the movie made you believe.

The setting is underused. The power armors were crazy powerful (they're capable of flying for short distances and shooting micronukes IIRC) and it would make for a good power armor tactics game, whether it's in first person Terranova style, turn-based or even RTS.
There were more alien species than the insects, so there's no shortage for enemy factions if necessary.
There was a tabletop rpg released in the early 2000s. That’s pretty much the most we got. That and the Roughnecks cartoon.

It could have been a profitable IP if Sony handled it properly.

Olinser

Savant
Pre-order available for those who go for that sort of things.

Never pre-order for any reason. The benefits are never actually meaningful they're always just cosmetic crap or items that get outdated fast.

Warcraft Refunded broke me from ever pre-ordering any game ever again.

Olinser

Savant
Someone play it and post if its any gud pls.
6jw62s.jpg

Skdursh

Savant

Bit off topic, but I just about 10 minutes ago tried to post a GOG link and NuDex kept forcing an ad-tracker into the link regardless of how I tried to enter it. So how did you post a GOG link without the ad-tracker BS? I know I've never had the problem before now, so I'm not sure why it's happening now, but it's doubly bizarre that it seems that it's not happening to everyone.

Alpharius

Scholar
Someone play it and post if its any gud pls.
Played a few missions.
The art style is kinda ok.
Liked the elevation thing, the rifle squads block each other's line of fire unless they are located on different levels.
Disliked having to constantly focus the shooting bugs, requires a bit of APM.

Missions usually go like: you start at the base with a few squads of infantry and no tech. The bugs attack it ocassionaly so have to defend it. Finish objective one, get "war support" to build a tech building one which unlocks more unit types, finish objective two, build tech bulding two, etc. Objectives are usually like "clear the hive by killing the bugs until there are none left" or "capture radio tower".

There are supplies scattered across the map which increase unit limit and radio towers which provide landing points for reinforcements.
Calling in a new squad or reinforcing an existing one takes one transport, transports replenish about 1 per 10 seconds. So losses don't matter too much and you cant run out of resorces.
Squads get experience which unlock new active abilities at maximum 3rd level but newly called in squads get 3rd level very fast.
The strategy part of the game is limited to a choice of which tech building to build first.

Overall, pretty simplistic game. Like a mobile phone rts maybe. Pretty much impossible to lose a mission with unlimited resources (though bugs are also unlimited). Unless some missions will have a time limit.
I guess i would have been dissapointed if i bought it. :keepmyjewgold:

Last edited:

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Mixed or average reviews on Metacritic. Very positive reviews on Steam. As of this writing

Modron

Arcane
Bit off topic, but I just about 10 minutes ago tried to post a GOG link and NuDex kept forcing an ad-tracker into the link regardless of how I tried to enter it. So how did you post a GOG link without the ad-tracker BS? I know I've never had the problem before now, so I'm not sure why it's happening now, but it's doubly bizarre that it seems that it's not happening to everyone.
It's a referral link for the codex not an adtracker pretty sure old codex did that as well. Overzealous adblock software will block it of course.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Seems a bit too simplistic for my tastes but the ambiance is fun enough i’ll probably pick it up 2 years from now when it’s at -90% discount.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I watched a five hours stream of the first ten or so campaign missions and liked what I saw.

As they keep adding more unit and enemy variety it keeps getting better. It also has facility missions like in Starcraft. Some missions have either time limits, an inability to recruit new units or even an objective to not lose more than X soldiers so there's some variety.

As far as I've seen, unless they screw the pooch in the later parts of the campaign it's likely a solid enough game. Nothing groundbreaking but nothing offensive either. If you like the movie's atmosphere it's probably a safe investment.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
this any good? looks like a mix of Terran Ascendancy and Stronghold

i think this game could benefit from some mechanics from DoW 1 like cover and squad upgrades

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Unfortunately there's no pause command, or even a way to toggle slower/faster game speeds. I suppose making the gameplay more frantic and sloppy fits the theme, but I can't be bothered with games that rely on high APM to succeed anymore. Was looking forward to this but oh well.

Skdursh

Savant
It's a referral link for the codex not an adtracker pretty sure old codex did that as well. Overzealous adblock software will block it of course.
It's still an ad-tracker. It's processed by Adtraction (who, obviously, makes their money through ad-tracking and when you click the link your user data gets sent to them as well as GOG) and the referral program follows people across devices as mentioned in the GOG referral program ToS. It can't follow you across devices if it isn't tracking the account. Might not be quite as malicious as some others, but it still is what it is.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Weak Woke Shit based on Verhoffen, its shame because earlier it was advertised as non lineral with choices for next missions etc, and moral choices as well. its really dumbed down from concept, but should have been expected since its gonna be Tumblr Quality devs who are gonna work Verhoffen based version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom