Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Rain World

Lucky

Arcane
http://rainworldgame.com

https://af.gog.com/game/rain_world?as=1649904300

Playing this right now and really enjoying it. It's about being a grossly cute slugcat trying to get back to your family. A lot harder than it sounds. No hand holding or intrusive hinting at solutions. Controls take some getting used to, but work well.

It has a really great sense of discovery to it; figuring out things your slugcat can do and getting familiar with its alien world. What I'd seen of it up until now led me to believe that it was just going to be cute platformer, but it's turning out to be a genuinely good game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sadly no, otherwise the game wouldn't have gotten the moniker "2D Dark Souls platformer".

I agree with the exploration sentiment, it's truly a joy to play this and just keep discovering new things and end up in new situations which even make sense (stray too far up and you'll be stalked by birds, stray too far down and everything's submerged).

What put me off is how Rain World adopts a game design decision from the 1980s: Create a bloody big game world, and then give no indication for the player where he's supposed to even go - let him figure it all out. It's extra work, but I've done that far too many times already and am rarely up for it.

Overall it's a good game, but not to everyone's tastes.

Falksi

Arcane
That looks mint.

Just another reminder to me of a game which would fade into nowhere if AAA companies had their way.

lightbane

Arcane
I remember reviewers were especially harsh with this game due its absurdly high difficulty and lack of checkpoints. The former is pure butthurt from game journos, but the second is a legit concern, but I bet it's been fixed by now.

TheRedSnifit

Educated
My Rain World experience:

- Get to Industrial Complex and love it.
- Go through the gate to Garbage Wastes
- Have my game crash before I could reach a checkpoint
- Have to reset the game (since it crashed), and lose Karma because the devs don't want you doing this
- Be unable to pass through the gate again, being stuck in an area I've already completed
- Get eaten by invisible lizards until my Karma bottoms out
- Quit

I did get most of the way through the game by modding out the stupid Karma system, but there was so much other bullshit that I quit out of frustration anyways. I've been meaning to return to it now that most of it's been patched out.

I remember reviewers were especially harsh with this game due its absurdly high difficulty and lack of checkpoints. The former is pure butthurt from game journos, but the second is a legit concern, but I bet it's been fixed by now.

No, the game was insanely hard for the wrong reasons when it came out. I don't think it's fair to criticize the reviewers on this if most of their gripes have since been patched out of the game, most notably the issue with slugcat getting sucked into unusable enemy holes. The game was buggy, some parts (especially water areas) were basically broken, food was so scarce in late-game areas that progression was sometimes literally impossible, the tutorial gave incorrect/misleading inputs, etc. It's a shame that none have chosen to go back and revisit their reviews after these issues were fixed, but frankly, they're under no obligation to do so.

Last edited:

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I'm beat. I've given this game two attempts now and played it for almost 9 hours, and I still have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I get to new places but I haven't found any acknowledgement anywhere that I'm actually progressing.

Terenty

Liturgist
I'm beat. I've given this game two attempts now and played it for almost 9 hours, and I still have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I get to new places but I haven't found any acknowledgement anywhere that I'm actually progressing.
Try following the yellow thingy, it actually shows you where to go. The best route is Industrial Complex -> Garbage wastes-> Shoreline. Dont go to Drainage System its too brutal

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Try following the yellow thingy, it actually shows you where to go. The best route is Industrial Complex -> Garbage wastes-> Shoreline. Dont go to Drainage System its too brutal

I've been through the Drainage System, and have gotten to the Shoreline - which is where I quit.
The yellow thingy is being extremely obscure. Most recently it was showing me a little angel guy, so I followed it and now it has stopped showing the little angel guy and is just making diamond shapes again.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I've been through the Drainage System, and have gotten to the Shoreline - which is where I quit.
The yellow thingy is being extremely obscure. Most recently it was showing me a little angel guy, so I followed it and now it has stopped showing the little angel guy and is just making diamond shapes again.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rain World :D

The game design is really obtuse. To be honest I gave up on the game once I realized that the Kb + mouse control scheme was obfuscated on purpose.

And I'm not alone: https://steamcommunity.com/app/312520/discussions/0/135513549094993934

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I guess I found my first thing? It made weird noises at me, so I threw a spear at it and it squeaked, and then I ate two of the jellyfish floating above it and it squeaked some more
9PWlVZS.jpg

If I had owned this game as a kid when I had nothing else to play I might have lost my sanity for good

Last edited:

awsker

Novice
I guess I found my first thing? It made weird noises at me, so I threw a spear at it and it squeaked, and then I ate two of the jellyfish floating above it and it squeaked some more

If I had owned this game as a kid when I had nothing else to play I might have lost my sanity for good
You are making good progress.

This is one of my favorite games of recent years, but it turns a lot of people off by not giving much guidance to the player. It really just lets the player loose in an open world and leave them to their own devices. This doesn't mean I don't have my share of criticism of it, and this part you're at is one of them. Your choices matter and their ramifications are for the most part permanent. I won't say much, but to encourage you to keep at it. The game rewards you for persevering.

Ivan

Arcane
that's a gorgeous screen. I had a similar experience. I made it to some like, sewers with a lot of water. I got frustrated b/c slugcat kept getting stuck on geometry and drowning. Game is gorgeous though.

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
9PWlVZS.jpg

The lore in Rain World is akin to the Souls series,very obscure but cool nonetheless. I read wiki after finishing the game.

After i got to this place i looked up a Youtube walkthrough to see where to go next, but i had already fallen in love with the game by that point so didnt mind the frustration tbh

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

DLC after all those years.

FEATURE LIST
  • Breaking New Ground to Explore - With ten expansive regions across thousands of new maps, environments, and weather to survive and discover
  • Five Additional Characters - All with unique abilities, skillsets, gameplay style, and stories
  • Challenge Mode - Put your survivability to the test in multiple pre-constructed arena scenarios, adapting to each room as the difficulty increases
  • Safari Mode - Observe an ecosystem unfold! Revisit areas once explored safely through the eyes of an observer - control and play as other creatures in the game to influence the scene.
ABOUT THIS CONTENT
Rain World: Downpour is a DLC expansion of Rain World. Take control of five new characters with new abilities in this vast, redefined world. Slugcats have adapted to the harsh conditions alongside evolved predators! Survive new environmental conditions, dangers and explore uncharted territory.

Return to the unwavering wild in Downpour, where you explore new, harsh lands and survive new predators. As time passed, the slugcat has evolved. With five variants of the species - take advantage of various skills that they possess and explore their own personal tales.

Characters:

RW_Graphic_Icon_Rivulet_MSC_75x75.png

The Rivulet
An aquatic evolved slugcat - it breathes underwater and moves through the world with ease.

RW_Graphic_Icon_Gourmand_MSC_75x75.png

The Gourmand
An indulger of the simpler pleasures in life. Can store multiple items within the pouches in its cheeks.

RW_Graphic_Icon_Artificer_MSC_75x75.png

The Artificer
A fierce combatant; master of pyrotechnics and explosives.

RW_Graphic_Icon_Spearmaster_MSC_75x75.png

The Spearmaster
An abnormality with no mouth that uses needles pulled from its body for combat and to feed.

RW_Graphic_Icon_Saint_MSC_75x75.png

The Saint
Attuned to the etheric plane, this slugcat uses no weapons but instead uses its long tongue to grip far away objects or platforms.

The expansion includes optional additional mechanical additions that allows for a spin on the Rain World experience – tutorialized hints, alternate routing options, a new map system, handy collectibles tracker for storyline completion, and many more."

Ivan

Arcane
Nice, I wanted to like the original so much but found the progression so opaque, multiple times, that I dropped it each time I gave it an honest try. Hopefully this new hand holding will help me out next time.

lightbane

Arcane
Well, isn't this interesting? I tried playing this game a few weeks ago, then ditched it because it's intentionally obfuscate and punishing for the sake of being punishing and, unlike the fucking Dark Souls saga which has seemingly infected EVERY game ever since 2010s, there's no hint system or anything to help you. Instead, you have to wrestle with awkward controls and a Slugcat that moves slowly and can't jump well. Meanwhile, even enemies that aren't very mobile can use unique corridors to ambush you, or worse, spot you from another screen to attack you. I tried using a pad, but my PS3 one doesn't work well, so I have to use the KB system which isn't just as good.
I love the ambience and what they were trying to do, but all of that hard work comes at odds against the RNG elements, as there's no telling where will enemies respawn (if you're unlucky you can get enemies stuck in your way and be unable to move around them, which happens quite frequently) and how long until the rain comes is random too. Which means that the allegedly good AI doesn't matter because you'll be more busy getting around before rain comes than paying attention to the NPCs.
Sure, the Slugcat has some cool moves, but these require some odd key combinations, and he's artificially limited for the sake of game balance (against you). For example, you can't stab anyone with a spear, you have to throw it like a moron so that you risk the chance of losing your weapon. You also can't throw the thing upwards because Slugcats lack brain mass to think such advanced tactics, it seems. Also, using mods is more difficult than it should be, because there's no telling when a mod does actually work, or if it will fuck something offscreen you may never notice until it's too late. Even QoL ones.

As for the additional Slugcats, it seems the devs had some offscreen drama with the publisher after doing the Switch edition, hence why the latest patch for the Switch, which included important changes such as new endings for the Monk and Hunter modes but never came to PC. Supposedly it was resolved and the devs decided to reward players' patience by making the "Additional Slugcats" mod official. What they don't tell you is that each new type has some gimmicks.

• Rivulet: Attracts rain. No idea if that means your timer is short or what. It can breathe underwater, but I have no idea if you can survive under the rain, even if temporarily, which would be the main attraction.
  • Gourmand: Must eat a lot and is even heavier and slower than usual. To compensate, it can store lots of items inside, can survive being bit sometimes due its extra fat, and can hurt enemies by jumping on them Mario-style.
  • Artificer: Very interesting. Explosives are extra effective and you can make a double jump by creating an explosion, which can be used to stun enemies too. To compensate, it cannot open karma gates, instead requiring you to drag the bodies of certain Scavenger types to the doors, and said tribes will obviously be hostile to you.
  • Spearmaster: Has no mouth so it cannot eat or store stuff I guess, but can spawn 2 spears at will and eat by poking stuff with said spears. A shame it still can't properly stab things instead of throwing the damn spear.
  • Saint: Very mobile due using the tongue to stick anywhere, can't eat meat nor use weapons (no idea if tools count). To compensate for making the game actually fun, you lose ALL karma upon death, which means you might as well start over.

Last edited:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's not the first time I read someone did not like the ending, never understood why. I thought it was a nice wrap-up, very coherent if you had enjoyed the "journey is the goal" theme of the game. What would you have expected ? A boss fight ?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not the first time I read someone did not like the ending, never understood why. I thought it was a nice wrap-up, very coherent if you had enjoyed the "journey is the goal" theme of the game. What would you have expected ? A boss fight ?
No, it just didn't feel very satisfactory to me.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
No, it just didn't feel very satisfactory to me.
Found it was quite relevant:
Five Pebbles gives the slugcat the only way to find back its family. I also find it very interesting visually, and a nice change compared to usual game endings.

Maybe the real endgame is to adapt to the ecosystem and keep playing. Settling in a nice place such as the floating islands, and become part of the lore.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe the real endgame were all the controllers we broke along the way? I wasn't that big on the Buddhist big picture and would have preferred something more pragmatic for everything I endured.

In fact I'd call the ending a sucker punch considering that the start of the game gives you the idea that you're trying to find your family, only to achieve nirvana instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom