Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

ColaWerewolf

Educated
Ho boy, I can't wait until BL2 comes around and it turns out you're the childe of Lilith sent to test how vampire society reacts to getting wantonly slaughtered and put to shame by a freshly embraced thin-blood (but it doesn't matter because Lilith uses her McGuffins to up your blood potency). Oh man, it'll be so funny when they reveal that the Uber driver you've been calling up was actually Lilith the whole time! Haha, what an awesome, creative, and not at all grossly-exceptional experience.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
So I've been a Bloodlines fan since I played back in the 2000s and now I've written off the IP as cursed. Are there any other urban fantasy crpgs worth playing that have been released or are upcoming?
shadowrun dragonfall director's cut & shadowrun hong kong
Anything that takes place in a contemporary setting? Give or take a couple decades, I guess

Codex Year of the Donut
So I've been a Bloodlines fan since I played back in the 2000s and now I've written off the IP as cursed. Are there any other urban fantasy crpgs worth playing that have been released or are upcoming?
Anything that takes place in a contemporary setting?
basically the only game that fits is Secret World but they made it an MMO for whatever reason, guess you're out of luck

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
basically the only game that fits is Secret World but they made it an MMO for whatever reason, guess you're out of luck
Thanks for trying. I would make the sort of games I would want to see if I had the requisite skill and funding. Sadly, game design was not my area of study and I'm not gonna upend my career just to make my dream games.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Thinking about starting a betting pool for how many pages this thread will have before the game releases (if ever).

I'm thinking around 1000 pages, that sounds about right.

The fact that they haven't hard confirmed a dev for this project is nothing but bad news.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The fact that they haven't hard confirmed a dev for this project is nothing but bad news.

I keep saying this is because they don't want people to dismiss it as a walking sim until they have something to show, and they don't want to repeat the mistake of announcing it too early. It could just get canceled again this time for good.

hello friend

Arcane
Thanks for trying. I would make the sort of games I would want to see if I had the requisite skill and funding. Sadly, game design was not my area of study and I'm not gonna upend my career just to make my dream games.
Secret World is well worth playing despite shit combat and mmo gameplay. Damn shame.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I keep saying this is because they don't want people to dismiss it as a walking sim until they have something to show, and they don't want to repeat the mistake of announcing it too early. It could just get canceled again this time for good.
That's some strong copium.

What makes you think the project won't suffer from similar mismanagement issues as version 1.0? And even if it's not mismanaged, do Paradox even have anyone with the talent and passion necessary to do the IP justice, or is this going to be another anemic flop shoved out the door to cash in on the previous game's fame?

Far as I can tell Paradox have no clue what they're doing, and all the studios under their thrall are shovelware tier or asylums for woke clowns, so there is virtually no hope they'll make anything worthwhile.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Anything that takes place in a contemporary setting? Give or take a couple decades, I guess
I am curious too. Western RPGs in contemporary setting are strangely nonexistent. Instead, If you don't mind JRPGs, there are a ton in contemporary setting (just one example: the Persona series).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What makes you think the project won't suffer from similar mismanagement issues as version 1.0?

Paradox said:
For externally developed games, we have reworked how we, going forward, invest in projects that are outside our core segments and how we collaborate with third-party developers. The investments will be monetarily smaller and managed by a dedicated team working outside the regular development organization. In parallel, we have reviewed the production process in order to be able to identify problems earlier and sharpen the focus of these collaborations. All in all, this means that we can act at a lower cost and with a lower risk while simultaneously enabling us to find new sources of revenue more efficiently.

It could be mismanaged again, which is why I said they could just cancel it. It'd be less embarrassing for all involved this time around though.

And even if it's not mismanaged, do Paradox even have anyone with the talent and passion necessary to do the IP justice, or is this going to be another anemic flop shoved out the door to cash in on the previous game's fame?

This is the entire game industry.

Codex Year of the Donut
I am curious too. Western RPGs in contemporary setting are strangely nonexistent. Instead, If you don't mind JRPGs, there are a ton in contemporary setting (just one example: the Persona series).
This is one hell of a monkey's paw if I've ever seen one.

Ask yourself: do you really want western devs to be making anything set in contemporary times?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

Ask yourself: do you really want western devs to be making anything set in contemporary times?

As a matter of fact I love contemporary setting with some elements of mystery/sci-fi/horror/fantasy (like Bloodlines), while I don't care too much about standard generic medieval fantasy settings.
I would like to see a full fledged RPG in these settings rather than a JRPG.

But I agree, It's 2022. I don't know if western devs could really do that in a proper way.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

We've seriously reached the cultural epoch when we're afraid of media that reflects our times.

Can this smilie go backwards?

:dealwithit:

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I think it’s possible to make a contemporary urban fantasy crpg without inserting obnoxious partisan messages. If we can do it for imaginary pasts and futures, then we should be able to do it for imaginary presents.

I don’t think the topic IP is suited for this, even if it wasn’t owned by Paradox. It has a blatantly partisan counterculture message baked into it since its inception three decades ago. Even the mechanics reflect this, with it being impossible to increase your magical power without literally cannibalizing the higher ups. “Eat the rich” indeed. The other games in the IP are no better in this regard: e.g. the werewolves are eco-terrorists and the wizards think science is bad/wrong.

If we want contemporary urban fantasy crpgs, then these will have to come from somewhere else. But that’s just my opinion after years of burnout

J1M

Arcane

Every 50 pages or so I advocate for treating VtM as a period piece that remains set in the 90s.

Sidestepping contemporary politics is a nice side benefit.

Codex Year of the Donut

Every 50 pages or so I advocate for treating VtM as a period piece that remains set in the 90s.

In before tards pretend a single throwaway line by an NPC or a reference in a newspaper is anything close to what happens in modern games.

Fully expecting vtmb2 to have drumpfler as the ventrue antagonist.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

As Netflix showed with Fear Street, period pieces written in the current year are not immune from current year political perspectives. There's no going back.

J1M

Arcane

As Netflix showed with Fear Street, period pieces written in the current year are not immune from current year political perspectives. There's no going back.
You can sabotage anything. A period piece provides cover for those who want it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom