Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Project Zomboid - any good?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A friend gifted me this game, and I've played it a little.

I haven't had a chance to give it a fair play through yet, but the game has an autistic level of character skills.

You die once and that's it for your character. But you can make another character and kill your old self when you die.

Seems like there is a lot of building and fortification you can do which isn't typical in isometric games I've played. The low graphics requirements seems nice for people without strong computers too.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
So far this is my preferred start:
  1. Find decent house to use as beginner hideout (and for storage) near starting area. Should have functional windows, doors, decent bed, and a TV. Ensure closed curtains/sheets on all windows.
  2. Watch the life & living channel at 6:00, 12:00, and 18:00 each day (until the 17th, when it no longer airs). Big skill XP boosts. Use low volume.
  3. Between TV-shows: Start clearing the areas surrounding the hideout. Look for basic gear & skill books. Work your way towards houses with garages, and hardware stores (if any nearby), for best early loot.
  4. Read basic skill books ASAP (worth investing the hours), to get most value from the TV-shows while they still air.
  5. Work on learning how to hotwire cars. Look for a car in good condition, and siphon gas from other cars.
  6. After the 17th: Drive to whatever area you feel like building your first base in.
Most important semi-hard items to find early: Backpack (makes things so much easier), gas can (siphoning fuel), hammer, saw, screwdriver, and wrench (tools for carpentry, mechanics, and electronics). Also good to be on the lookout for helm, gloves, and military boots.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So far this is my preferred start:
  1. Find decent house to use as beginner hideout (and for storage) near starting area. Should have functional windows, doors, decent bed, and a TV. Ensure closed curtains/sheets on all windows.

I like to make sure the bedroom is on the top floor, so in case any zombies manage to get in despite my barricades, they'd have to find their way up the stairs first.

Alphons

Cipher
I bought it over a decade ago for $3. Don't expect quick updates.

My group plays it every few updates and the current version is a blast.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
CDDA is the better zombie survival crafting game, as far as those go.

Zomboid has some very odd design choices, like the "one bite = death" mechanics and zombies that will go after the player regardless of circumstances. I tripped the alarm on a house and instead of the zombies running towards the sound they all converged on me, despite being elsewhere at the time.

I'll use this thread to collect my thoughts, as I've played this non-stop for several weeks and want to forget it for a while.

The first thing to know if you've heard about the project before is that yes, it was in development hell for many years, but is now (as of version 41) a fully featured game with enough to keep you occupied for a long, long time. It's still in active development and will likely receive an even more comprehensive update with version 42, which promises interactable NPCs. This will change how the game plays at a fundamental level and on the whole I welcome the changes, although not without reservations given the devs' reputation for spotty programming and inconsistent approach (the game still lacks basic things like sitting in chairs and animations for opening a car hood). The game was mostly written in Java, so I'm skeptical about the feasibility of some of their ambitions.

If you haven't heard about it, it's basically a real-time, isometric, keyboard and mouse controlled survival crafting and survival horror hybrid. It's heavily inspired by, but not as deep as CDDA, but also adds different elements. The fact that it's real-time, as well as its delicate control scheme, where you control movement direction with keyboard and facing direction with the mouse, makes the game challenging not only from the POV of player skill, but also their ability to maintain a cool head and make right decisions on the spot. Faced with a zombie ambush, your hands will turn to jelly and you'll fuck it up. One scratch, you might be infected; if it's a bite you're dead. You'll die many, many times and this is how you learn. With every death you learn something new.

The words that flash before any new game is "This is how you died". That's the premise of the game. The situation is hopeless and you're just some regular Joe who is putting up a fight despite the odds. There's no end game, no cure, nothing to save. In the beginning you're unlikely to last a day in "Survival" mode, then you'll slowly begin to last longer. You move up to "Apocalypse" difficulty and repeat the process until you create your first survivor that lasts a month and finally becomes self-sufficient. Disappointed, you start fiddling with the "Sandbox" settings, making the game as hard as possible. Soon you'll be dealing with sprinting zombies who have superhuman strength and toughness, extra rare loot and all sorts of sadistic little details to make your life miserable. It's part of the development arch of any Zomboid player to become a fiend for punishment until they find a happy medium.

The versatility of the customizable settings in "Sandbox" mode is what adds longevity to the game. You can customize number and physical characteristics of zombies, rarity for different kinds of loot, availability of running water/electricity at the start, temperature and humidity, etc. Mods exist to further extend the options at your disposal. Some of my favorite mods, which I now consider indispensable:

Customizable Zombies - lets you specify the exact percentage of different kinds of zombies. I like playing with a minority (~10%) of sprinters, just to spice up the game without making it hellishly difficult (and repetitive).
Filibuster Rhymes' Used Cars! - greatly expands the selection of vehicles in a lore friendly way. The cars have more variety and are usually of much higher quality than the native ones. Safe to use even by newbies.
Cryogenic Winter - makes the weather a much larger factor in your gameplay. You'll freeze to death in the first day if you don't find appropriate clothing. I like to modify the LUA settings to make the weather very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter, although it's unlikely for any character to see the change of seasons.

I eventually grew tired of the game, as there's a lack of challenge in the late game compared to the first week. Once you become self-sufficient (usually involving the combination of defensible base, working car and generator) the game gets boring, as there's no reason to explore and you know you can only die if you commit a stupid mistake. At that point your death drive will make your character take unnecessary risks and you'll die a stupid, unfulfilling death.

Without going too much into specific mechanics, suffice to say there's enough variety to keep you entertained for a while. You can live your fantasies as a crazy axeman and zombie slayer, make a living from foraging and fishing, be a mechanic that fixes cars and drives around exploring the map (driving a car is surprisingly rewarding, specially after you've gone through all the trouble of geting a working one), etc. You can also do boring base building and Stardew Valley shit like farming, although I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.

One of the best things about the game is that the map is HUGE. Whether you prefer urban survival or a quiet life in the countryside, you're unlikely to see half of it in a single playthrough. Traveling between towns can feel like a real adventure.

I'm anticipating the release of the NPC update as I think we'll finally be given objectives to work on after we got our own base, car and generator. More variety in enemies and more dynamic events that add chaos to the playthrough would also be welcome. There's a popular Helicopter Events mod on Steam Workshop, but IMO it just adds arbitrary nonsense that clutters the game. I think I'll wait for version 42 before I give this a new spin.

CDDA is the better zombie survival crafting game, as far as those go.

Zomboid has some very odd design choices, like the "one bite = death" mechanics and zombies that will go after the player regardless of circumstances. I tripped the alarm on a house and instead of the zombies running towards the sound they all converged on me, despite being elsewhere at the time.

From my experience, zombies will converge to the origin of the sound or whereabouts, but if they locate the player they will chase him instead and move to the point where they last saw him. They also seem to have heightened vision when alerted. The best strategy is to leave the place as fast as possible in the direction of least population density.

You can also disable the infection mechanic in Sandbox, but the game is unlikely to provide sufficient challenge/tension in that case.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
It gets "better" all the time, but the core experience is much the same as it ever was. Personally, I despise how every multiplayer session I get roped into devolves into a housekeeping simulator. That sort of gameplay is just boring but for whatever reason the people who love zombie games LOVE that shit.

Theres a lot of mods now that spice things up and I hope they trend the community in that direction, mods like the CDDA zombies, supernatural fogs that bring sprinter zombies and so on. For me one of the fundamental problems is zombies - particularly the shambling variety - just aren't that interesting or scary anymore, quite overexposed in media. IMO PZ would be a lot more interesting and funner if it were a veritable hellscape - yes, closer to DOOM rather than Romero. The basis for good action gameplay is there, and what little gameplay exists outside of the simulationist aspects always involves people running around with 10000 modded AR15 clones, so why not? Go all the fucking way. I want to dodge fireballs and shoot demons in the face.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Picked this up recently. Very cool game. Obvious story-generator of sorts, too.

My current guy, a fat night owl security guard, was bumbling through town for a few days. An attempted venture into a local bank led to disaster and a swarm of zombies. I fled out of my two-story home, leaving behind a lot of supplies. Also I think he dropped like two or three spears I had prepared in a brief scuffle. That or maybe he lost them when he had to two-hop a fence, nearly getting eaten by a horde while scrambling for safety. Ran north. Broke into some woods. Woods... just kept going. Came across a logging facility. Nothing of value. Slept on the floor of a janitorial closet. Crack open the beer I've been carrying since Day 1. Figure might as well enjoy it before the end. Ran back out into the woods. Forever. Slept three days in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Consume the last of my supplies: tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Came across powerlines. Followed those east to a road. Followed the road to a side road. Followed the side road into farm fields and gardens and the like. Found a shed, no food, but gardening seeds. Cruel. Snorfing down antidepressants, energy pills, and painkillers just stay mobile. Find a house! It's... actually a construction site for a house! Worthless. Pop a few more antidepressants and carry on. Rain starts falling. Night is creeping. Starvation has my mall cop hero losing weight fast. Come across two zombie cops lingering around a car. Kill them both, get some sweet cop gear. Check the car. It's working, just barely. Drive my first car, which is fun. Spot a driveway, nearly wreck the car peeling onto it. Do in fact wreck the car crashing into the house's shed. Kill the engine. Break into the house. Scarf down some canned slop. Run into the bedroom. Crash and sleep for like half a day. Wake up and check the TV. All the stations are dead.

Feelsgoodman.jpg

Yeah, those moments where you're just barely surviving and don't know where you are, while shit just keeps getting worse and worse, then you find a ray of hope in the form a functioning car or a nice base with supplies. That's what I love about the game. The gameplay loop grows more predictable with repeated playthroughs, but enjoy it while you can.

None

Scholar
Once you stop surviving and start thriving the game falls apart. After you solve the food, water, and zombie problems the game kind of loses its point. The best I've managed is to extend that early survival period through a combination of mods and settings tweaks.

There are also a million little nitpicks I've got with the game. Like the zombie distribution, skill uselessness, lack of incentives to explore outside a certain range, etc. The game is still fun, but right now the devs are being too autistic and adding things like animal husbandry before polishing up some of the more fundamental areas of the game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Apparently a helicopter I heard was an 'event.' Problem is I was innawoods and so I just slept peacefully under the stars while it buzzed around me to no effect :lol:

thesecret1

Arcane
Once you stop surviving and start thriving the game falls apart. After you solve the food, water, and zombie problems the game kind of loses its point. The best I've managed is to extend that early survival period through a combination of mods and settings tweaks.

There are also a million little nitpicks I've got with the game. Like the zombie distribution, skill uselessness, lack of incentives to explore outside a certain range, etc. The game is still fun, but right now the devs are being too autistic and adding things like animal husbandry before polishing up some of the more fundamental areas of the game.
The autism is meant to address the issues you have with the game, lol. It's not animal husbandry for the sake of animal husbandry, but to have a source of leather – the idea is to provide resource chains so you can get on level of a medieval-ish society, and thus provide an end-game – generators will break down and stop working eventually, with no possible replacement. All modern tech will eventualy be lost if you play for long enough, necessiating low-tech replacements, thus providing a much wider range of activities and needs for players (geared towards MP. I imagine in SP you'll have far too much tech on the map to ever really run out).

Once NPCs are a thing (scheduled right after the crafting update), you will likely be able to turn the game into a colony sim where you use NPCs to automate production chains, which will necessiate the resources to feed them and to keep the production going, and so on. It should solve the issue of "I have nothing to do after looting the mall and barricading myself home."

The autism is meant to address the issues you have with the game, lol. It's not animal husbandry for the sake of animal husbandry, but to have a source of leather – the idea is to provide resource chains so you can get on level of a medieval-ish society, and thus provide an end-game – generators will break down and stop working eventually, with no possible replacement. All modern tech will eventualy be lost if you play for long enough, necessiating low-tech replacements, thus providing a much wider range of activities and needs for players (geared towards MP. I imagine in SP you'll have far too much tech on the map to ever really run out).

Once NPCs are a thing (scheduled right after the crafting update), you will likely be able to turn the game into a colony sim where you use NPCs to automate production chains, which will necessiate the resources to feed them and to keep the production going, and so on. It should solve the issue of "I have nothing to do after looting the mall and barricading myself home."

It's 100% geared towards providing entertainment for no-life redditors who want to play house. I've seen it happen with other sandbox games.

I don't want to play a colony sim. I want them to expand the core gameplay of surviving, fighting, scavenging, etc. I want more chaos and unpredictability, interesting events, new enemies. They should add balance to skills, remove grindy gameplay loops(disassemble watches to level electronics, mount/dismount car parts to level mechanics, etc.) fix the jankiness of combat and add basic features that afaik are still missing, like... siting in a chair, before they implement anything like animal husbandry.

thesecret1

Arcane
They should add balance to skills, remove grindy gameplay loops(disassemble watches to level electronics, mount/dismount car parts to level mechanics, etc.)
That's what next update is about, dude

I want them to expand the core gameplay of surviving, fighting, scavenging, etc.
You can do that however much you want already, the issue is that you stop having a reason to scavenge once you tend to your basic needs. Sure, technically, you could scavenge lots more and build a kick-ass castle, but as of right now, there is no gameplay reason to do that. With NPCs, you DO have that reason – more people means more mouths to feed, meaning you want to scavenge more to feed them, or be on the lookout for farming stuff so that they can start feeding themselves. You'll want to build defenses so that your NPCs don't get annihilated, necessiating yet more scavenging, and so on – a colony sim approach will actually result in a whole lot more scavenging from the player, along with things to strive for.

I want more chaos and unpredictability, interesting events,
scheduled for development later on, and NPCs ought to throw in a LOT more inpredictability and chaos. Actually, you can already get a taste of it with some of the modded-in NPCs

new enemies
Never gonna happen in vanilla, ever. But there's plenty of mods for that.

fix the jankiness of combat
Never really had an issue with combat myself.

basic features that afaik are still missing, like... siting in a chair.
Now who wants to play house? :lol:

They should add balance to skills, remove grindy gameplay loops(disassemble watches to level electronics, mount/dismount car parts to level mechanics, etc.)
That's what next update is about, dude

I want them to expand the core gameplay of surviving, fighting, scavenging, etc.
You can do that however much you want already, the issue is that you stop having a reason to scavenge once you tend to your basic needs. Sure, technically, you could scavenge lots more and build a kick-ass castle, but as of right now, there is no gameplay reason to do that. With NPCs, you DO have that reason – more people means more mouths to feed, meaning you want to scavenge more to feed them, or be on the lookout for farming stuff so that they can start feeding themselves. You'll want to build defenses so that your NPCs don't get annihilated, necessiating yet more scavenging, and so on – a colony sim approach will actually result in a whole lot more scavenging from the player, along with things to strive for.

I want more chaos and unpredictability, interesting events,
scheduled for development later on, and NPCs ought to throw in a LOT more inpredictability and chaos. Actually, you can already get a taste of it with some of the modded-in NPCs

new enemies
Never gonna happen in vanilla, ever. But there's plenty of mods for that.

fix the jankiness of combat
Never really had an issue with combat myself.

Combat is janky, see how hits connect when a zombie is down, for example. It's based on where you stand, not where the weapon animation hits. The kind of thing you may only find out about after 100 hours of gameplay. I've also had occasional trouble with stab animations.

NPCs are a welcome addition, depending on how they implement it. I think I'd said as much in a previous post. However, the husbandry stuff bodes ill for the future, if that's their priority. You already have enough food sources if you are sedentary. But it's the kind of stuff that redditors love, to build a community in MP and post screens on the subreddit for updoots.

When I say expand the core gameplay, I wasn't talking about giving more reasons for the player to engage in it. Ideally, you shouldn't need any particular reason. All the "mouths to feed" stuff, what if I don't care about that? The reason you lose motivation in the game as it stands is because it becomes safe and predictable. The helicopter event is one way they tried to make the game more chaotic, but it's only dangerous while you don't have a car(i.e. the first week). There needs to be more dangers, with less obvious means of dealing with them. New enemies could be just zombies with special characteristics(I know there are mods). If they're going to add animals, a priority should be adding dangerous animals that behave differently from zombies.

basic features that afaik are still missing, like... siting in a chair.
Now who wants to play house? :lol:

I didn't rate your post retarded, because I wasn't sure if that was just a joke. Having a chair to sit down (as opposed to having to sit on the floor) is important in a survival context.

thesecret1

Arcane
NPCs are a welcome addition, depending on how they implement it. I think I'd said as much in a previous post. However, the husbandry stuff bodes ill for the future, if that's their priority. You already have enough food sources if you are sedentary. But it's the kind of stuff that redditors love, to build a community in MP and post screens on the subreddit for updoots.
Animals are being added not for food, but as source of resources, such as leather. I noted as much in a previous post.

When I say expand the core gameplay, I wasn't talking about giving more reasons for the player to engage in it. Ideally, you shouldn't need any particular reason. All the "mouths to feed" stuff, what if I don't care about that? The reason you lose motivation in the game as it stands is because it becomes safe and predictable. The helicopter event is one way they tried to make the game more chaotic, but it's only dangerous while you don't have a car(i.e. the first week). There needs to be more dangers, with less obvious means of dealing with them. New enemies could be just zombies with special characteristics(I know there are mods). If they're going to add animals, a priority should be adding dangerous animals that behave differently from zombies.
It becomes safe and predictable because you lose reason to actually do anything dangerous. What are you even suggesting, a siege situation where zombies will home in on your location and raze it to the ground? I know new enemies can be zombies with different abilities and stuff, but it's not going to happen outside of mods. Dangerous animals will be a thing though IIRC.

I didn't rate your post retarded, because I wasn't sure if that was just a joke. Having a chair to sit down (as opposed to having to sit on the floor) is important in a survival context.
It's the sort of autism I can't understand why anyone would care about (especially from the standpoint of someone who scoffs at features such as animal husbandry).

Animals are being added not for food, but as source of resources, such as leather. I noted as much in a previous post.

It becomes safe and predictable because you lose reason to actually do anything dangerous. What are you even suggesting, a siege situation where zombies will home in on your location and raze it to the ground? I know new enemies can be zombies with different abilities and stuff, but it's not going to happen outside of mods. Dangerous animals will be a thing though IIRC.

It's the sort of autism I can't understand why anyone would care about (especially from the standpoint of someone who scoffs at features such as animal husbandry).

Making clothes from animals is cool. NeoScavenger has that, but tailoring isn't a chore there and you don't need to keep animals. I'd prefer if they just focused on making tailoring less tedious.

You siege situation sounds ridiculous because of how limited the zombie scenario(which I don't particularly care for, admittedly) is, but that's the kind of things that would actually make the game more interesting. I'd be disappointed if at some point the devs realize they've basically exhausted the possibilities of the zombie genre and they need to turn the game into something else, like post-apocalyptic colony sim.

None

Scholar

NPCs is a good step towards what I'd like to see, anything that makes the game more than just a relatively easy survival sim. Adding cows to milk isn't going to do much in that category. And if you think I'm balking at that concept entirely, no, it can be added, I'd just prefer work be put towards areas like the existing fishing overhaul. Cooking, first aid, and sneak could all use something similar. A broad pass for balance would be desirable as well. Like I said, the fundamentals need some work before we give me another option to get leather (hardly an issue to begin with).

thesecret1

Arcane
The entire crafting system is getting a complete rewrite, guys. All the skills are getting overhauled and massively rebalanced, several new mechanics are getting added, etc. The general idea is that you should be able to craft your way up even with zero modern technology (from caveman tech up to medieval, on a map where there's nothing but wilderness), though having modern tech naturally makes things faster and easier. Also, you won't be able to become a jack of all trades – your profession will come with specialization that'll make it easy to level up some skills, but provide a mallus for others, the goal being to encourage trading and interaction between players in MP (SP will be balanced a bit differently so as to not cripple you) as everyone will have something that someone else needs but cannot get. Tedious shit like dismantling CD players to grind electronics will be removed as well. You'll also be able to do more stuff, such as smelt ore into ingots and fashion a sword or armor out of it, etc.

In other words, a lot of your complaints are actually being addressed right now, in the next build – the devs are fully aware that the current implementation of crafting is tedious dogshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom