Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - dark fantasy reimagining of FF1 from Team Ninja

Zariusz

Arbiter
It seems that this game was rushed, im not even talking about optimisation but just look at this.

It seems that they wanted to make Cornelia a hub level with NPCs, merchants etc.
They have the map, they have some NPCs but every functionality was moved to a menu.

Silentstorm

Learned
Probably, either that or they decided to just make it an action game and let talking to NPC's to see the state of the world...but if that's the case, it's sadly underutilized, and yes, there is a map since you get missions where you fight in Cornelia, and people are just casually gone until a cutscene happens and the story treats them as being around looking at Jack and his friends fighting in Cornelia...i guess during gameplay they found a way to turn invisible.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
It seems that this game was rushed, im not even talking about optimisation but just look at this.

It seems that they wanted to make Cornelia a hub level with NPCs, merchants etc.
They have the map, they have some NPCs but every functionality was moved to a menu.

I got the same sense, the NPCs have updated chit chat after story missions, but none of it is remotely important. I bet they recorded all the dialogue earlier in development before cutting things like money, shops, and most of the crafting or whatever else that would have made the town relevant.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

Apparently this kind of shit is one of the sources for the questionable performance - at least on PC. I have no idea what the performance is like on consoles.
I tried fiddling around with some of the in-game graphic settings but none of them seemed to actually have any effect on the frame rate for me.

fucking lol did they just import zbrush sculpts without doing any retopo?

Gonna be honest I have literally zero idea what most of those words mean but it does seem like there's been some poor practice involved.

So this is finally a proper next-gen game. It is also one of the few games that makes sense to play in 4k. Why are people complaining?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Apparently this kind of shit is one of the sources for the questionable performance - at least on PC. I have no idea what the performance is like on consoles.
I tried fiddling around with some of the in-game graphic settings but none of them seemed to actually have any effect on the frame rate for me.

Gonna be honest I have literally zero idea what most of those words mean but it does seem like there's been some poor practice involved.

So this is finally a proper next-gen game. It is also one of the few games that makes sense to play in 4k. Why are people complaining?

This is cross-gen.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Releasing an action RPG this soon after Elden Ring's launch was a mistake if you ask me. I'm sure there a plenty of people who would be interested in playing the game but are currently busy playing something else instead.
Then there's also the matter of the PC port. EGS exclusive and a genuinely terrible PC port doesn't exactly make it easy to sell either.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It seems that the game is not doing very well:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-launch-for-a-final-fantasy-spin-off-in-japan

For some reason I'm not surprised, based on my demo impressions.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
seSvWTI.jpeg

Silentstorm

Learned
The game also seems to be way more focused on the West than selling in Japan, for God's sake, they had Frank Sinatra in a trailer, the memes, the way the characters talk and look, the main characters aren't even bishounen young men at all and the main character's crystal ability is suprisingly brutal, it kinda feels like the game was meant to sell more outside Japan oddly enough.

And it's a fun game...just with issues stopping it from reaching it's potential, but again, i wouldn't mind seeing a sequel that deals with the issues this game has, a different loot system would be great for example.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

drpg fans think this is actually "good" design

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
This game is not nearly as funny as Dunkey made it look, it's just boring.

The only saving grace is Jack who has the exact same attitude to JRPG shit that I do

notpl

Arbiter
Yeah calling this nioh combat in final fantasy world is really misleading. The combat is dogshit nowhere near Nioh's level and the world might as well be dungeon siege, there's nothing going on with it at any level. Complete filler trash of a game.

Hassar

Scholar

What in particular is next gen about this game?

CyberModuled

Savant
I will be sorely disappointed in the Codex if this doesn't get to be a RPG of the year nominee purely for the numerous amounts of narrative brofisting there is. Pure incline for FF at this point.

rqnpzu.png

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I will be sorely disappointed in the Codex if this doesn't get to be a RPG of the year nominee purely for the numerous amounts of narrative brofisting there is. Pure incline for FF at this point.

rqnpzu.png
Pewdiepie for RPG of the year

somerandomdude

Learned
I wouldn't compare this game to Nioh's combat at all, it's more of a beat-em-up looter, and it honestly does alright at that. The multiplayer isn't too bad, it's fun to team with some others and beat stuff up. If you don't have a good grasp on what works/doesn't the game can and will hand your ass to you, but it's more about learning how to abuse certain broken mechanisms than anything else. For example, builds that specialize in break damage are quite strong, as are red mage/sage, and Dark Knight/axe toss builds. I didn't care for the dark knight/axe toss gimmick build, and found break builds to be generally more versatile. Some combo of Assassin/Ninja/Thief, with fists. Red Mage/Sage is pretty insane on bosses, but they require some setup time in every engagement, and in most cases the break build clears faster, unless it's a straight up boss rush mission, and then I'd probably give it to the mage. If you got good enough equipment, you can spec a break build and a red mage/sage, and swap between the two at will, which is what I ended up doing. Break builds were better at clearing missions, and the mage was better at bossing. If you got 400% thief, you get bonus drop rates for finishing off stuff, so even if you burst a boss down with a mage, you can swap to the thief to finish it off and get bonus loot drops.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom