Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You could trade hits if you initiated the attack first and the enemy attacks during a specific period of your animation frame. Otherwise a group of rats can stunlock you and stop you from doing anything because you are always vulnerable during the starting frames of your attack. Your so called "poise" video is just bullshit apologist nonsense. It's called hyperarmor for a reason.

Which explains why the video showed the difference in poise levels when the guy was just standing there and not attacking. I mean, you watched it, right?
PVP shit, different balance, show it with PVE mobs and we'll talk.

Why don't you find or make that video? I mean, the guy you're going off on is some absolute genius in fairly low poise armour panic rolling into objects (which didn't work even in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls). Most people intuitively understand that solid objects are solid, but not you guys.

The state of current year Codex makes me sad.

Silva

Arcane
Never had this impression myself. Sekiro enemies felt much more varied than Souls, from the bandits looking like bandits while sacking that starting village, to guards and soldiers and those snake snipers feeling like normal combatants. Only the monks in that mountain monastery felt ghoulish, but even then some of their guards felt pretty much alive (and those big hat ones felt like they were on CRACK).
Dunno man.

This is one of the most basic bitch you meet in the beginning of Sekiro :
ixbHNQ2.jpg

It's not an outright zombie but.. does the skin tone look human to you? I mean it and not in a racist way. This is not a healthy asian skintone, or arab, or black, or anything human. All the regular mooks look like there's something wrong with them.

Then you meet something like this mini-boss :

VNsGz7j.jpg

That thing looks sickly and more like a zombie than a proper "monster" or yokai. I mean, some yokai of asian myth do look diseased but this just looks like a giant traditional zombie to me. Look at Nioh for a more japanese vision of monster folklore.

0w17jJC.jpg

This is Genichiro, your main foe throughout the game. Interestingly, the same skin tone as the ogre (at least on my monitor). Dude looks like he's half dead.

Then the deeper you go in the game, the more fucked up people look.
NGAtA9o.jpg

lzfxcR8.jpg

It's hard not to feel like you're going through a post-apocalyptic world where everyone got fcked up just like in a souls game.

Really, the only characters that look normal in the entirety of the game are Owl (well, normal as in healthy, because he's strangely gigantic for a "human".. is he really human? ah, whatever, it's a From game), the kid and Emma. Of course, any From game needs a good looking woman even when the rest of the world looks like it came from Satan's butthole (not to mention, your own player character that looks like a disgenic abomination because of the character creator system in games other than Sekiro).

The noble garments actually say everybody is losing their minds and living "immortal, pointless lives".

Interesting, but which garment? I tried looking it up but couldn't find it.
Oh sure, I didn't mean those fucks are completely normal. I think Sekiro is more grotesque than apocalyptic though. Those enemies don't behave like zombies or mindless dudes like they do in Souls, on the contrary they feel pretty much alive and goal-driven. It's only that they can have a centipede sprout from their asses in good Japanese horror fashion (reminds me of those freaks from Ninja Scroll or Naruto's Akatsuki). So, in conclusion I think there are different aesthetic styles at work here. The fact From executed them so well only attests to Miyazaki prowess. (and the fact Elden Ring feels so disjointed in comparison proved no one is perfect and producing some dungs now and then is expected).

And it's Aristocrat garment in Limgrave that describes how those guys are fucked up. It says they are Undying and living pointless lives. It doesn't cite insanity but I'm sure I've read this elsewhere. Probably an item. I'll find it and link here.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
PVP shit, different balance, show it with PVE mobs and we'll talk.
Nah passive poise is in the game but is pathetically weak, only being able to poise through 1 or 2 hits before getting staggered, it's also highly dependent upon what attack the enemy does, only staggering through lighter attacks. It's possible that there's more hidden modifiers to poise that change how it works that will be found in the future though. It seems better vs bosses as vs Morgott i was reliably able to poise through two attacks in a row (depending on the attacks he was doing.) Hopefully they buff it, since this is with the highest poise armour and the talisman for a total of 133.

Anyway here, I recorded a video just for you:

SumDrunkGuy

Rabarbar ng+.

I bought the dance pad, but there is not enough buttons to bind every action like special attacks and jumping, hmmm

Oh you're asian. Well that's not fair. Asians are inherently better at vidya than us whiteys.

SumDrunkGuy

I only have 1 boss left and one achievement left to 100%. I'm on NG+2. I don't want to stop playing, so I went and killed Malenia. It kind of sucks. I'm thinking of purposely not getting the achievement to replay one more time. However, bosses have gotten somewhat harder on NG++. Not hugely, but enough to notice.

I don't know what to play next.

Nioh 2. We can be bromosexuals in coop. It's the natural progression from Elden Ring if you've already played through all the other Soulsborne games.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
OK. I'm level 205 and it's already hard to get summons. So I just beat the game and 100% it. Feeling of emptiness rising. I loved this game, but I wish it would have made 100%ing it harder. Just having to get a few select legendary items that you can get all in one playthrough was lame. I wish it had made you collect all boss items or something. Or grind for shit like all the DS games did.

I don't know what to play now. I want another Souls-like, but I've played them all. I suppose I could finish God of War, although it was kind of lame.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I only have 1 boss left and one achievement left to 100%. I'm on NG+2. I don't want to stop playing, so I went and killed Malenia. It kind of sucks. I'm thinking of purposely not getting the achievement to replay one more time. However, bosses have gotten somewhat harder on NG++. Not hugely, but enough to notice.

I don't know what to play next.

Nioh 2. We can be bromosexuals in coop. It's the natural progression from Elden Ring if you've already played through all the other Soulsborne games.

I've already 100%ed that shit. I loved Nioh. I wish I could play it again......for the first time.

This is everything I've played. Someone give me recs:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/derungrund/games/?tab=all

SumDrunkGuy

I've already 100%ed that shit. I loved Nioh. I wish I could play it again......for the first time.

Seems to me you're gonna have to find a cheap PS4 and play yourself some Bloodborne. It's one of From Software's best. It's amazing from start to finish. It doesn't even feel rushed in the later half like some of their other stuff. It's a must play.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

Seems to me you're gonna have to find a cheap PS4 and play yourself some Bloodborne. It's one of From Software's best. It's amazing from start to finish. It doesn't even feel rushed in the later half like some of their other stuff. It's a must play.

I've never played Demon Souls or Bloodborne. I've waited this long for PC, I can wait longer.

Nathir

Liturgist
I played Demon Souls for the first time last summer. I used RPCS3 and it was very playable, even on my 5 year old average rig. The only time it stuttered was when I would break objects like barells. Or after 2-3 hours of emulating, but you can just restart the emulator. It's a good game.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
You don't say? What is the PS3 emulator of choice? I never emulated that high up due to my shit rig but now I think I can.
https://rpcs3.net/ I remember emulating it 5ish years ago and i never finished the game because it was at 10 to 15 fps. Now it's mostly 60 with a few stutters on the exact same pc I've had since 2014. Very impressive work they've done.
Vimm's Lair has what you need people.

SumDrunkGuy

I gotta go back to Elden Ring. Nioh 2 just ain't doin it for me right now. Nice combat system though.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Ok I changed my mind, STR builds are actually good in this but the investment before it gets any good is significant you and simply must colossal weapons and good armor (and thus its actually an STR/END build)

Secondly while some have complained about the lack of care given to the colossal swords, I actually think they've done quite a good job here. By mid game you will probably have access to the zweihander, the guts greatsword and the grafted greatsword. People getting tunnel vision about the scaling or damage miss a trick: the zwei offers a lightweight option for a colossal (huge poise damage and range), allowing you to utilize heavy armor or a shield while keeping the med roll. The zwei also has a crouch poke, that is very fast and VERY long range. Words can't describe how satisfying it is to stunlock rivers of blood katana fags who werent expecting to suddenly get hit.

And the other thing, armor actually seems pretty worthwhile quite unlike DS3. I was laughing at my friend who was screeching at me to stay away from a particular enemy because their grab attacks would knock off half his health bar every time, but in the banished knight set they were doing less than a quarter to me so i just waded in and swang n banged.

The secret to getting the most out of colossal weapons in PVE is lots of jump attack, but in general the stagger potential when you have some investment is so fucking good, I was melting enemies that many players think are hard just because of the staggers.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok I changed my mind, STR builds are actually good in this but the investment before it gets any good is significant you and simply must colossal weapons and good armor (and thus its actually an STR/END build)

Secondly while some have complained about the lack of care given to the colossal swords, I actually think they've done quite a good job here. By mid game you will probably have access to the zweihander, the guts greatsword and the grafted greatsword. People getting tunnel vision about the scaling or damage miss a trick: the zwei offers a lightweight option for a colossal (huge poise damage and range), allowing you to utilize heavy armor or a shield while keeping the med roll. The zwei also has a crouch poke, that is very fast and VERY long range. Words can't describe how satisfying it is to stunlock rivers of blood katana fags who werent expecting to suddenly get hit.

And the other thing, armor actually seems pretty worthwhile quite unlike DS3. I was laughing at my friend who was screeching at me to stay away from a particular enemy because their grab attacks would knock off half his health bar every time, but in the banished knight set they were doing less than a quarter to me so i just waded in and swang n banged.

The secret to getting the most out of colossal weapons in PVE is lots of jump attack, but in general the stagger potential when you have some investment is so fucking good, I was melting enemies that many players think are hard just because of the staggers.

The lack of poise damage is actually one of the things that bugs me the most about many dex weapons like twinblades and katanas. I hate being able to whale on a knight, have him not flinch and counter with something that's at least as bad or worse than whatever I was dishing out. Better to have something meaty to hit them with and rattle their cages a bit. Besides, it's funny to send someone flying across the room.

Silva

Arcane
That's it, I'm dropping this for good. I realized I'm still in Leyndell and I'm already forcing myself to play. Didn't like the (DS3) mechanics, didn't like the spastic enemies that get samey and repetitive fast, didn't like the vanilla fantasy aesthetics and didn't like this world design.

This is worst than DS3 for me, because for all this game's pros (like legacy dungeons) it has a flaw that's simply game-killer for me: it's quality time ratio is really low. I must be around 60-70 hours in it but the really good time must be less than half that. The game forces you to spend too much time wandering through its boring, flacid open world for it's own good. For all DS3 flaws in the end I found it's corridor levels mode fun than this. Oh, and if DS3 has linear world design, Elden Ring has linear enemy design, because every enemy behave the same and require the same patterns to defeat - enter, attack once or twice, dodge helicopter or delayed attack, repeat. After a time enemies really feel like different skins over the same bot, and this is the worst curse a combat-based game could commit.

Tl;DR: this game is shit. Ghost of Tsushima was better than this, and Tsushima is a Ubiworld game. Enough said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom