Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Sunri

Liturgist
So I've finally beat Bloodborne.

Even better than Dark Souls 1. Such a perfect game.

Now I completely understand how it was a "system-seller" for PS4 or "software-seller" for PS Now. Also the only Lovecraftian game which didn't royally fuck everything up. What I don't understand is why the DLC isn't there. Or should I get a console for that? But it has no PS4 Pro/ PS5 update (and DS3 did).

I guess it says something about Elden Ring that halfway through I shrugged my arms and played a different game from start to finish. Last time I did before that was, in addition to Eleonora's +8, upgrade Godskin Peeler with Seppuku so I can jump like a retard and apply bleed per attack.

No fun in a game like that. I don't understand people who autistically dedicate a 20min video to some ridiculous "build" and min-maxing it so the boss goes down in 8 seconds instead of 10.

Meh the only good thing about BB was atmosphere rest was crap from the itemization to the bosses.

Sunri

Liturgist
How many of the Soulsbornes got a big DLC? In other words, how likely is a big DLC for Elden Ring?

I Mean, it sold a lot of copies, so I'm 100% sure that we get DLC sooner or later every soul's game had dlcs except Demon Souls

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE NIGHT'S CALVARY ARMOR

HAHAHAHA

Consecrated Snowfield: TWO nazguls are found guarding a caravan south-west of the Inner Consecrated Snowfield site of grace. You need to defeat both to get the armor

Generic-Giant-Spider

HAHAHAHA

TWO OF EM?

SHOULDA BROUGHT THREE SO I COULD CALL IT AN APPETIZER, BUBBA.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Make sure to defeat the NPC Invader further along the path if you plan on fighting them on horse-back, as her invasion will disable your horse mid battle.

Tim the Bore

Scholar
Elden Beast is such a weird boss to end the game with. Ideally, you want your boss to be the ultimate challenge, forcing you to utilize everything that you've acquired throughout the game. But then Elden Beats is like the one creature in the whole game that's different (well, maybe with Astel as an exception). Every boss in this game is an extremelly agressive, disfigured, vaguely-looking humanoid with a large sword doing seven 360s, followed by AOE attacks, followed by more 360s and so on. And then, at the end, Elden Beast is anything but that. Weird. It's like making Demon Of Hatred the final boss for Sekiro.
IMO it should be just Radagon. Just make ...him, like, 25% stronger, maybe 3-4 more attacks, more HP, slightly faster moveset - and he would be a good final antagonist.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Hard to think of many games where the final boss is the most difficult. It's usually an optional/secret or midgame boss that's the real motherfucker.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
All souls games, from Demon's to Dark souls 3 changed and balanced the player's character mobility and capabilities. It's not like they are throwing you at a pitt with crazy bosses. Enemies are fast and have extense movelists in Bloodborne and Dark souls 3, but your character is balanced around that (mid rolling has a lot of i-frames, it costs very little stamina, etc). In Elden ring your character still very strong, I would say that it has even more i-frames during the rolling animation. The thing is, they went apeshit designing the major bosses of the game. They always have some bullshit that feels unfair, unblockable, undodgeable. That never happened in previous games. I've just reached Malenia and man, what a way of spoiling a pottentialy great boss with that shitty flurry rush move (The health regen is an interesting mechanic by itself, there's no need for more).

I can't believe they went from Sekiro, which has extremely polished 1 vs 1 fights to this. They fucked up so much the balance in Elden ring. My main issue with the game right now.

She is an optional boss, and you can just roll or outrun flurry, it's even easier if you have enough hp to tank one hit.

The flurry move is truly, indefensibly bad. It is awful game design. Let's enumerate:
  • It does enough damage to kill a 60 Vigor character in heavy armor, wearing the phys defense talisman.
  • It is very confusing, and gives absolutely no visual indication of how it can be avoided.
  • She does it at random times, so it's difficult to anticipate and practice against.
  • It has a very short windup time relative to the range of the first wave.
  • The difficulty of avoiding the first wave massively depends on how far you are from Malenia.
The result is wasting time on tedious trial and error, usually getting one attempt at trying to dodge the flurry per fight, and most players win by either trivializing it in some way or by getting lucky with boss AI.

Honestly, the fact that Malenia made it through testing in her current form is the most obvious sign that From has lost the plot. It is that bad. I can't imagine what they were thinking.

Infinitum

Scholar
"Hear me out here - what if we designed an attack that -literally- requires a youtube tutorial to consistently avoid?"

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
  • It does enough damage to kill a 60 Vigor character in heavy armor, wearing the phys defense talisman.
  • It is very confusing, and gives absolutely no visual indication of how it can be avoided.
  • She does it at random times, so it's difficult to anticipate and practice against.
  • The difficulty of avoiding the first wave massively depends on how far you are from Malenia.
l1.png

ADL

Prophet
Why isn't torrent allowed in the Elden Beast encounter? I wouldn't be surprised if these hacks designed it for mounted combat and forgot to enable it in the second phase. It's the only reasonable explanation for that bullshit encounter.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
All souls games, from Demon's to Dark souls 3 changed and balanced the player's character mobility and capabilities. It's not like they are throwing you at a pitt with crazy bosses. Enemies are fast and have extense movelists in Bloodborne and Dark souls 3, but your character is balanced around that (mid rolling has a lot of i-frames, it costs very little stamina, etc). In Elden ring your character still very strong, I would say that it has even more i-frames during the rolling animation. The thing is, they went apeshit designing the major bosses of the game. They always have some bullshit that feels unfair, unblockable, undodgeable. That never happened in previous games. I've just reached Malenia and man, what a way of spoiling a pottentialy great boss with that shitty flurry rush move (The health regen is an interesting mechanic by itself, there's no need for more).

I can't believe they went from Sekiro, which has extremely polished 1 vs 1 fights to this. They fucked up so much the balance in Elden ring. My main issue with the game right now.

She is an optional boss, and you can just roll or outrun flurry, it's even easier if you have enough hp to tank one hit.

The flurry move is truly, indefensibly bad. It is awful game design. Let's enumerate:
The result is wasting time on tedious trial and error, usually getting one attempt at trying to dodge the flurry per fight, and most players win by either trivializing it in some way or by getting lucky with boss AI.

Honestly, the fact that Malenia made it through testing in her current form is the most obvious sign that From has lost the plot. It is that bad. I can't imagine what they were thinking.

Is it not possible to i-frame through it with Bloodhound's Step or Quickstep?

I just did the triple-cheese on her:
- Gouda -> fully upgraded Fingerprint Greatshield
- Cheddar -> fully upgraded Mohgwyn Trident
- Gorgonzola -> fully upgraded Ohga Summon (that guy really seems to hate her)

Silva

Arcane
So I've finally beat Bloodborne.

Even better than Dark Souls 1. Such a perfect game.

Now I completely understand how it was a "system-seller" for PS4 or "software-seller" for PS Now. Also the only Lovecraftian game which didn't royally fuck everything up. What I don't understand is why the DLC isn't there. Or should I get a console for that? But it has no PS4 Pro/ PS5 update (and DS3 did).

I guess it says something about Elden Ring that halfway through I shrugged my arms and played a different game from start to finish. Last time I did before that was, in addition to Eleonora's +8, upgrade Godskin Peeler with Seppuku so I can jump like a retard and apply bleed per attack.

No fun in a game like that. I don't understand people who autistically dedicate a 20min video to some ridiculous "build" and min-maxing it so the boss goes down in 8 seconds instead of 10.
I also dropped ER and I'm looking for other Soulslike. How is Nioh 2? Is the base game worth jt? I could get it for 15 bucks.

Oh, and welcome to the Yharnam Gentleman's Club. :salute:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Why isn't torrent allowed in the Elden Beast encounter? I wouldn't be surprised if these hacks designed it for mounted combat and forgot to enable it in the second phase. It's the only reasonable explanation for that bullshit encounter.

I hear that Pest's Jizz Spray Incantation is a counter to Elden Beast and tried and true technique of kiting. You get it from Gowry apparently or from killing him after the Millicent quest.

Sunri

Liturgist

Just level vigor bro.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
So Mohg (Lord of Blood) thinks that Miquella is a girl and wants to make 'her' a God and become 'her' King Consort, but Miquella is actually a man that's cursed with eternal childhood and happens to have an androgonous appearance?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The worst thing about Memenia's flurry rush attack is that is random. When her health is lower than 65% she can do the move when "she wants", in reality is completely RNG based. Once she did two times the move to me in less than 10 secs, I died because the second of course, silly me for thinking she would have a cooldown or something.

You know Margit, right? The first boss. Well, did you know that he has a cooldown move? That weird 180 degrees tail attack, he can do it once every 40 secs. Why the fuck this moron has that and the red-haired thot doesn't? No sense at all. The only explanation is because fanservice. The character become famous in the internet, people like her. They made her helmet and a figurine as the special items in the collector's edition. They wanted her to be hard and memorable, and they made the worst decisions in the process. Mogh shouting "NIHIL!!!" is more memorable and better designed than her.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Is it not possible to i-frame through it with Bloodhound's Step or Quickstep?

There are tons of weapon arts you can cheese her with. That doesn't make the thing any less dumb.

Mogh shouting "NIHIL!!!" is more memorable and better designed than her.

Mohg's attack is better because it's obviously unavoidable via normal means, so you just treat it as a tax on your flasks and move on. Malenia's move looks like it can be dodged, and in fact it can from most starting positions, the way to do it is just very precise and unintuitive.

l1.png

? I'm already pressing the powerstance attack button.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
the way she hangs in the air (and some other enemies in this game) before the flurry always made me think something like "this is such a huge opening, I should be able to punish her right there and then for it and blast her out of the air" but I simply assumed that the game wouldn't let me do it

to my big surprise you actually can with a frost ritual pot throw! it's still aids to juggle between it and flasks, but that's the issue of the UI being bad, not the fight design.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Elden Beast is such a weird boss to end the game with. Ideally, you want your boss to be the ultimate challenge, forcing you to utilize everything that you've acquired throughout the game. But then Elden Beats is like the one creature in the whole game that's different (well, maybe with Astel as an exception).
Another person who has never played Demon's Souls. :rpgcodex:

Tim the Bore

Scholar
Elden Beast is such a weird boss to end the game with. Ideally, you want your boss to be the ultimate challenge, forcing you to utilize everything that you've acquired throughout the game. But then Elden Beats is like the one creature in the whole game that's different (well, maybe with Astel as an exception).
Another person who has never played Demon's Souls. :rpgcodex:

Allant wasn't a difficult boss, because it was more of a spectacle. Elden Beast on the other hand is a fight in which you can definitelly die. There's a difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom