Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Weird West Released

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
It's not like First Person Shooter or Top Down Shooter where the perspective is there in the descriptor. And it's not a genre based around copying one single game like a Rogue-like or Diablo-like, given that what could be called the establishing games of the genre (if it can really be called a genre), Ultima Underworld, Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock, are all extremely different. It just so happens that the one most immediately recognizable thing these games have in common is the first person perspective, and people are stupid and shallow so they mistake that most obvious similarity as the most important similarity.

Saying an "immersive sim" has to be first person is like the equivalent of someone saying a Computer Wargame has to use hexes because the first game of that type used hexes, or that Racing Games would all have to be first person if the first game of that genre was first person. I hate the term "immersive sim" but even I can recognize that it refers to certain design philosophes and principles, most of which relates to stuff going on behind the scenes, so to speak, that in no way necessitate a first person perspective. The term "immersive" is vague and subjective as it is; I've played third person games that are far more "immersive" than many first person games (games like Resident Evil or Darkwood, which incidentally are both closer to being "immersive sim" style games than most first person games). The simulation/simulationist part likewise in no way inherently requires a first person view, when some of the games with the most systemic depth and systemic interactions are games like Jagged Alliance 2 or X-Com.

The funniest part of this is that people started using the retarded "immersive sim" term because writing something like Deus Ex style game or System Shock-like game required too many words or something for their mentally diseased brains, and they had to start using a term that made them seem like they are IN THE KNOW. And yet now we've gone full circle back to the term basically meaning "a carbon copy of thief/deus ex/system shock."

It makes perfect sense though, given that all these recent popular attempts at retro games tend to copy the most superficial elements while being so shallow in every part of their design that really matters (anything the homos at Nightdive do or retro-bait garbage like Gloomwood), because they think that the defining feature of games like Deus Ex or Thief was that they were first person and had low resolution textures, and not, you know, every single other fucking thing those games were doing.

Just as a thought experiment. If someone made a game that was exactly the same as Thief, but the perspective happened to be third person, would the game cease to be considered an immersive sim? As it at this point I honestly think that if you made a game with area progression like Thief, where each level is self-contained, with no hub, and there is very little character progression systems (in terms of stuff like gear or character levels etc), you would have people saying it's not an "immersive sim." (considering one of the most prevalent complaints I've seen about Weird West is that you lose some of your character progression when you switch to a new protagonist in the story).

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Saying an "immersive sim" has to be first person is like the equivalent of someone saying a Computer Wargame has to use hexes because the first game of that type used hexes, or that Racing Games would all have to be first person if the first game of that genre was first person. I hate the term "immersive sim" but even I can recognize that it refers to certain design philosophes and principles, most of which relates to stuff going on behind the scenes, so to speak, that in no way necessitate a first person perspective. The term "immersive" is vague and subjective as it is; I've played third person games that are far more "immersive" than many first person games (games like Resident Evil or Darkwood, which incidentally are both closer to being "immersive sim" style games than most first person games). The simulation/simulationist part likewise in no way inherently requires a first person view, when some of the games with the most systemic depth and systemic interactions are games like Jagged Alliance 2 or X-Com.

I prefer the term "emergent systems", where there are a few different AI processes running in the background and interacting with each other, maybe in unusual and unexpected ways. Skyrim has that "immersive sim" quality when guards meet bandits, and they interact, and you can help one side or the other, and your contribution is acknowledged in reputation gain/loss and a dialogue quip. Or your clothes being recognizes and referenced. Or moving environmental objects to build an obstacle, that the AI pathfinding then has to maneuver around. Bonus points if the AI itself can move environment to block you or hide.
This is what I understand in "immersive sim", and its what I am looking for. Does this game have it?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Do people also call Super Mario World a Marioclone/Mariolike? Holy fucking shit, video game genres is the most retarded shit out there.

It is a Mario sequel.

So is SotN a Metroidvania or since it's just the other-half of the influence a Castlevaniaclone/Castlevanialike?

Yes, it's the establishing game. The previous Castlevania games were not like it.
I kind of thought Castlevania + castlevania II + metroid = close to metroidvania.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The "immersive sim" problem is that just reading those two words together doesn't actually tell you what kind of game it is and you need to read a wall of text to describe that it's a game that follows the design philosophy established by Origin and Looking Glass and what those principles are.

I don't think it is really a problem, as long as people realize that this is a label and not a description - pretty much like how not all "Adventure" games are about adventures, "Role Playing Games" are not really about playing some role and "First Person Shooters" are not always about shooting the first person you come across.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It can't be the "establishing game" if there is one-half part missing there. What is next, cave story stopped being a metroidvania too? Lootbox Lyfe has no monster at all, still considered a metroidvania. Yoku's Island Express, also considered a metroidvania, and I'm pretty sure there is 0 RPG elements there. Your definition of metroidvania has nothing to do with what people call a metroidvania, it seems.
Cave Story said:
Defeating enemies sometimes yields yellow triangular objects, which give experience points to weapons when collected
Metroidvania.

I've never heard of the other two games. If they don't have Metroid-style levels and progression systems, then they're not Metroidvanias, and the people calling them such are wrong.

Commercially the problem of these kind of games to me is similar to the ones mechanically more traditional CRPGs face that don't go down the semi-interactive movie / shallow open world amusement park route.

Namely, a majority of players prefers that handholding / cinematic experience, whereas both "Immersive Sims" as well as CRPGs are at their root attempts to recreate a tabletop experience with plenty mechanics, systems as well as player agency -- just both from a different angle. Whilst more traditional CRPGs fully embrace the trappings of a tabletop system, dice, character sheets and to-hit-rolls included -- this kind of experience came to be when a couple folks wondered whether you can do this a little differently on a computer. Spector in his GDC post mortem of Deus Ex too argues that all he's ever wanted to achieve is trying to recreate that feeling he had when playing D&D.

On topic, first patch is about to hit in a couple days, no later than April 11th (source Discord).

Modron

Arcane
Metroidvania where it's "Metroid with RPG elements as first established by Symphony of the Night." Not High Concept at all.
Metroidvania refers to early Castlevanias and Metroids, people use Igavania (or simply RPGvania) for Metroidvanias with rpg mechanics like Bloodstained, Salt and Sanctuary, Vigil, et cetera.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Metroidvania made sense and everyone was ok with it until reddit forced the Igavania term, because it makes them feel like they are part of an ingroup that knows who Koji igarashi is and when others ask them what an igavania is they can smugly explain about how it's actually more accurate than metroidvania cuz blahblah

MartinK

Learned
Why does this thing exist? Normal western is badass on its own, why pollute it with werewolves and shit?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Why does this thing exist? Normal western is badass on its own, why pollute it with werewolves and shit?

Fond memories of the old DC comics character Jonah Hex, The 60s tv show The Wild Wild West, maybe the movie Westworld, and definitely some of the "English invasion" DC Vertigo label comics stuff like Preacher and Constantine.

Anyone else remember any other possible references?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Metroidvania refers to early Castlevanias and Metroids

This is stolen valor. If a game takes inspiration purely from Metroid, Castlevania has nothing to do with it.

RPGs without fantastic elements don't move the needle and medieval Europe shouldn't be the only inspiration for a fantasy game.

MartinK

Learned
Only CRPGs without fantastic elements I know of are Kingdom Come and Liberal Crime Squad and Kingdom Come has some questionable potion crafting bullshit. Perhaps they would move the needle, but nobody’s making them.

EvilWolf

Learned
Metroidvania where it's "Metroid with RPG elements as first established by Symphony of the Night." Not High Concept at all.
Metroidvania refers to early Castlevanias and Metroids, people use Igavania (or simply RPGvania) for Metroidvanias with rpg mechanics like Bloodstained, Salt and Sanctuary, Vigil, et cetera.
The "vania" part refers to the RPG elements present in Symphony of the Night.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I've only played about 1-2 hours but it kind of has a Fallout 1 and 2 feel to it which is cool. It's kind of hard to get used to shooting with a controller but I've gotten better.

Modron

Arcane
News to me I see a million things labeled metroidvania with no rpg mechanics whatsoever. Similar to everything with no rpg mechanics being labeled souls or rogue-like.

Viata

Arcane
News to me I see a million things labeled metroidvania with no rpg mechanics whatsoever. Similar to everything with no rpg mechanics being labeled souls or rogue-like.
Exactly. Which is funny since the 'vania" part has nothing to do with Castlevania itself, but with one game that was released 11 years after the first castlevania was created. Should be just called platform rpg, then.

Last edited:

Fond memories of the old DC comics character Jonah Hex, The 60s tv show The Wild Wild West, maybe the movie Westworld, and definitely some of the "English invasion" DC Vertigo label comics stuff like Preacher and Constantine.

You're not alone.

The Comic Book Origins Of Weird West - YouTube

One of the main influences of the game apparently was the movie "Bone Tomahawk". I haven't actually watched it yet -- it didn't even see a cinematic release in Germany back then. But playing and enjoying the game, as well as seeing Snake Bloody Plissken being a major part of it -- I think I may order it to finally watch it now. :D

youhomofo

Augur
I keep seeing this compared to Fallout 1 & 2 which makes my peen jiggle. I might have to pirate this.

Lexx

Cipher
If just the combat wouldn't look so bleh and off-putting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom