Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
When was D&D good, ever? D&D (and Warhammer) bastardized the high fantasy genre.

In 2E, I have a thread explaining why 2E > rest https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/why-d-d-2e-is-the-best-edition-ever.138042/

• High lethality. No "cr 2" monsters capable of soaking cannon balls like on 5e. Nor high level enemies that aren't threatening.
  • Low easy to track numbers
  • Class diversity with kits
  • Class restrictions on races. Eg - Manlets like Dwarves, Hobbits halflings can't be glorious magic users
  • The best settings was written for 2e. Mystara? Dark Sun? Ravenloft/Domains of Dread? Spelljammer? Planescape? A lot of glorious iconic settings comes on 2e. After WoTC bought D&D, the unique memorable setting that we got is Eberron(which nobody cares now)
  • Kits instead of prestige classes
  • No BS tier / power spikes
  • Multiclass is discouraged.
  • The best CRPG adaptations are also from 2E. We have two dark sun games, two ravenloft games and dozens of iconic 2E CRPGs.

From Software literally produces FIFAs of RPGs.

FIFA of RPGs >>>> Generic low lethality gear farming cooldown managing boredom. I still prefer older third person ARPG's like Gothic but their games aren't bad.

Novice
When was D&D good, ever? D&D (and Warhammer) bastardized the high fantasy genre.

In 2E, I have a thread explaining why 2E > rest https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/why-d-d-2e-is-the-best-edition-ever.138042/

• High lethality. No "cr 2" monsters capable of soaking cannon balls like on 5e. Nor high level enemies that aren't threatening.
  • Low easy to track numbers
  • Class diversity with kits
  • Class restrictions on races. Eg - Manlets like Dwarves, Hobbits halflings can't be glorious magic users
  • The best settings was written for 2e. Mystara? Dark Sun? Ravenloft/Domains of Dread? Spelljammer? Planescape? A lot of glorious iconic settings comes on 2e. After WoTC bought D&D, the unique memorable setting that we got is Eberron(which nobody cares now)
  • Kits instead of prestige classes
  • No BS tier / power spikes
  • Multiclass is discouraged.
  • The best CRPG adaptations are also from 2E. We have two dark sun games, two ravenloft games and dozens of iconic 2E CRPGs.

From Software literally produces FIFAs of RPGs.

FIFA of RPGs >>>> Generic low lethality gear farming cooldown managing boredom. I still prefer older third person ARPG's like Gothic but their games aren't bad.

It was a rhetorical question. D&D was never good.

Madman making an isometric turn-based RPG with resources that some mid-size studios could use to make 2 or 3 popamole AAA games.
This is what makes me respect Swen, even though I find all of the games he worked on mediocre at best.
Elden Ring
Breath of the Wild
Witcher 3
go play those, fattie
The Witcher 3 is mediocre for mostly the same reasons as any Larian game, Elden Ring is a good game that I have only a few gripes about, and I had no opportunity to play Breath Of The Wild so I cannot say but as far as I know its not even an RPG.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mollygos Here's your director of communications and PR. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
ntPFWzR.png
its ok to have fun

Novice
Why am I arguing with retards who think BG3 is a good game? That already speaks volumes of their mental invalidity.
Because you hardly ever touch grass. You spend most of your days in solace and alone with your thoughts. You humor yourself by browsing /r9k/, /rpgcodex/, and masturbating over hentai and anal sex. The latter, mind you, is homosexual by default, meaning that you are a deeply closeted gay man. Your insecurity to approach other people in real life, especially women, has long since transformed you into a bitter old man who can only find a crumb of happiness (but not pussy) by reclusively escaping into an alternate reality where you are surrounded by games you played as a young adult, such as Baldur's Gate 2 or Gothic 2, for instance, clinging to nostalgia because in those days you still had a shred of confidence and self-respect. In pursuit of any sort of purpose in life, you creep online and seek ways to reaffirm the validity of your schizophrenic rabbit hole by any means necessary, because without that you'd realize that you're an empty shell of a human being who will never be loved by anyone except his own mother, who I've banged on a number of occasions.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Why am I arguing with retards who think BG3 is a good game? That already speaks volumes of their mental invalidity.
Because you hardly ever touch grass. You spend most of your days in solace and alone with your thoughts. You humor yourself by browsing /r9k/, /rpgcodex/, and masturbating over hentai and anal sex. The latter, mind you, is homosexual by default, meaning that you are a deeply closeted gay man. Your insecurity to approach other people in real life, especially women, has long since transformed you into a bitter old man who can only find a crumb of happiness (but not pussy) by reclusively escaping into an alternate reality where you are surrounded by games you played as a young adult, such as Baldur's Gate 2 or Gothic 2, for instance, clinging to nostalgia because in those days you still had a shred of confidence and self-respect. In pursuit of any sort of purpose in life, you creep online and seek ways to reaffirm the validity of your schizophrenic rabbit hole by any means necessary, because without that you'd realize that you're an empty shell of a human being who will never be loved by anyone except his own mother, who I've banged on a number of occasions.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Well, that's fourteen and a half seconds I'm never getting back. :negative:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Day/Night cicle can be merely a visual fluffy or ... Something interesting. For eg, in M&M VI, some spells like moon ray can only be used at night and outdoors(no momon = no moon spell), can affect the range of spells, bows, crossbows, make stealth easy and so on. I'm playing GEDONIA, a game made by a single guy and ... There is day/night cycle.

Gargaune

Magister
Day and night cycles are a worthless waste of development time.
That depends entirely on what changes between night and day.
There are two types of aspects to a day/night cycles and BG3 would've been better off to implement it on both counts.

The first and most common one in the genre is aesthetic, where having a dynamic succession of night and day helps consolidate the illusion of a functioning, persistent world in the diegesis. You've got RPGs that don't do this, like DX, which focus on representing encapsulated events consisting of a specific space and time for each stage, or UU which, even though it implements the notion of the passage of time, eschews its representation through environmental context. But BG3 tries to walk a tightrope between the two, wherein the adventure clearly takes place over an extended period of time in a regular, natural setting, but locations are locked within a specific time of day. The result is disjointed and jarring, where you hop from your perpetual nighttime pocket plane camp to the eternal midday of the great outdoors.

The other aspects are, of course, mechanical. Its idiotic ignoring of "sound" notwithstanding, BG3 has a very sophisticated visual stealth system which affects both the player and NPCs. Having a choice between approaching a challenge under the cover of night or in broad daylight would've afforded the game an interesting tactical addition with a manageable development effort. Then there's the matter of scheduling, where having NPCs vary posts and patrols between day and night could've further enhanced this layer - but this would've likely been more resource-intensive in development, and it's probably why Larian didn't want to commit to it. Finally, there are also some knock-on effects on the ruleset implementation, because D&D was designed as a system running on dynamic time, e.g. the original Shield of Faith has a duration of 10 minutes, whereas BG3's lasts until your next rest because the game has no notion of what 10 minutes are.

Bottom line, yeah, there'd have been plenty to gain from BG3 implementing a day/night cycle, and probably more than the feature brought to many previous cRPGs. But it's a core design decision that Larian couldn't just up and change with a couple of lines of code midway through development (unlike that fucking toilet chain), so it is what it is.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Everytime there is a day/night discussion on larian game forum i feel incredible sense of dejavu. "Is it 2015 and i am young and full of spirits"

No sadly

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom