Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

That was very gay, but it is a vampire elf...
thinking.png

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

These dumbfucks at Larian continue to think that they have a sense of humor... I thought Belgium was only known for their high number of pedophiles, but now i realize that they are the Amy Schumer of europe.

Fck off tard, tell us from what shithole you are.

q6vyfjeh9ov21.png

Somewhere where its not common place to fuck children.

Looking at your posts I'm sure inbreeding is common in your shithole.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

These dumbfucks at Larian continue to think that they have a sense of humor... I thought Belgium was only known for their high number of pedophiles, but now i realize that they are the Amy Schumer of europe.

q6vyfjeh9ov21.png

Not only are you a dumbfuck but also autistic enough to go through someone's post history... you will fit right in the codex, youngblood.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

q6vyfjeh9ov21.png

Not only are you a dumbfuck but also autistic enough to go through someone's post history... you will fit right in the codex, youngblood.

Lmfao nobody is spending the time to go read your post history phaggot.

I already know you're a neckbeard with no life.

mkultra

Augur
Day and night cycles are a worthless waste of development time.

Hardly. It's one of the more important graphical effects you can have for immersion. Saying it's worthless is like saying graphics is worthless.

Now, only NPC schedules left and they can maybe compete with Ultima 7 (1992) when it comes to immersion...

That depends entirely on what changes between night and day.
Counterpoint: even the most basic, lazy, half-assed implementation of a day/night cycle used almost exclusively as a cosmetic variable would already be a massive improvement over the alternative to have your fictional world permanently stuck in a perpetual noon.

And this is without even beginning to consider all the mechanical options that having one could potentially open if they wanted to go the extra mile, like context-sensitive encounter design, a PROPER tracking for the passage of time (instead of abstract hyper-time in Daylight Land), variable NPC scheduling and more.
But... well, Gargaune already talked about some of these points.

Efe

Erudite
on the other hand, this game features a lot of reactivity already.
you can only stack so much complexity

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
About day/night cycle, there is a mod called Shadow magic for BG1/2(EE only) which uses day/night cycle a lot > https://artisans-corner.com/shadow-magic/

And the mod implements really nasty drawbacks for a shadow adept while he is exposed to daylight. His summons become way weaker, he loses caster level(at low level, he can't even cast while exposed to daylight), loses casting speed and even his saves become weaker.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Faery Tale Adventure already had a day/night cycle in a 2D Open World RPG created in 1986, and a decade later Daggerfall had a day/night cycle in a 3D Open World RPG. The onset of night in Faery Tale Adventure generated semi-realistic darkness (which could be altered by a particular magic item, but these were consumable and only lasted for a limited amount of time) and therefore posed a logistical issue for the player, who would try to accomplish a long journey before nightfall. Daggerfall had schedules for shops, which would close at certain times, and the city of Daggerfall itself was haunted at night by the ghost of Lysandus.

Immersion is a major aspect of any Open World game, and, even without any gameplay effects, a day/night cycle versus an unchanging time of day provides a degree of realism without which any sense of immersion is ruined. Aesthetics can also be enhanced from the lighting changes that follow the day/night cycle.

Furthermore, there are various minor changes in content or game mechanics that can accompany a day/night cycle and contribute to its value. Dragon's Dogma, for example, has more-dangerous undead enemies appear at night, giving the player a reason to try to avoid journeying at night, perhaps finding a rare resting place to await the morning. A game with turn-based combat might give players penalties to combat to-hit rolls at night, while many enemies might conversely be penalized for fighting in bright light.

4M1Dsfh.jpg

8utYSx5.jpg

xCK4nUI.jpg

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Immersion

Strongly agreed. Sadly most modern game devs don't care about it. As for Dragon's Dogma, the game not only night in that game is way more risky but also there are perks which only applies while adventuring at night, mostly Assassin class perks. About daggerfall, daggerfall also had sun damage for vampires and full NPC routine. Instead of merely day/night cycle, RPG's should have complex calendars with rituals in specific dfates and so on. That would be a :incline:

Eg - At night, during the solstice you can do a ritual to create a magical item.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3103549331483165019

Hotfix #23 Now Live!
Version Number: 4.1.1.1524131

ac09c1ab514bdfa83b2a0eadd77f7494cd425428.png

Hello everyone,

We’ve got a new hotfix for you all today, taking care of a few crashes and bugs.

Do you ever wonder, ‘How could they have possibly known I did that?’ in an awkward social situation? Well, for some reason, NPCs at Camp and in the Druid Grove were becoming hostile if you had trespassed in other areas. Omniscience is neat, but not if it leads to bloodshed. We’ve put some metaphorical blinkers on everyone, so they have no choice but to turn a blind eye towards your misadventures. Just don’t tell them about it.

Thank you for your work reporting issues to us via our socials, forums, support, and more - your feedback is important to us! Thank you for playing Baldur’s Gate 3.

CRASHES
  • Fixed a crash related to the turn order in combat after a character has died.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when you cancelled your spell-casting animation immediately after triggering it.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when loading a savegame while the game was experiencing low FPS.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when a summoned Familiar that was holding Concentration was killed.
  • Fixed a crash related to the hook horror and bulette combat situations.

GAMEPLAY
  • The NPCs at Camp and in the Druid Grove area no longer become hostile if you have trespassed in another area such as the Zhent Hideout. This fix also applies to older save games.
  • The 'Command: Halt' spell no longer has placeholder VFX around the affected character's head.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
When is this fucking game coming out? Spending this long in early access makes me wonder what the fuck these Belgians are doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom