Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

KVVRR

Learned
Wait, it's the first time I've heard about Jamais Vu update, wth is that?
Wait, it's the first time I've heard about Jamais Vu update, wth is that?
Dunno, never saw it.
New update that put in some new small events and archivements. Things like being able to
make Kim put on the PISSFAGGOT jacket
for example. All the big ones have an archivement related to them so you can look them up if you really want to
Also small new animations like these:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All this and one still can't take decent screenshots.
rating_agenda.png

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Started playing this as a palate cleanser after Eldan Reeeng. Died within the first 20 minutes of my playthrough. Reeeeeeeeee!

Sarathiour

Cipher
Well, it's sorta of only possible to die at the beginning of the game. Later on, you'll probably start to hoard consumable that restore red and blue bar.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Nah, I didn't even get that far. It was turning on the lights and the double bird in mid-air that did me in.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Opening this thread reminded me 2 weeks ago i went bowling with my girlfriend, critically failed a physique skill check, and bent my right knee the wrong way trying to bowl, launched the ball into an empty lane beside mine, while i fell on the floor surrounded by crowd and my panicking girlfriend.

I thought "wow we really are disco elysium"

I walked crooked for a week after that.

Starwars

Arcane
Celebrating my mate getting married last year, we got the "old crew" back together and went out for a whole day of heavy physical activity and much drinking.

Waking up the day after on my sofa, I had managed to puke on my rather nice carpet in my living room and my muscles were so sore that I actually had trouble getting up. The button holding my shorts up had disappeared sometime during the evening before and I had vague memories of drunkenly stumbling the last distance to my place with me trying to hold the shorts up with one hand.

Waking up and desperately flailing to try and get out of the sofa, I remember thinking about Disco Elysium at that time. It was a real Harry moment.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Disco_Elysium_finished.png

Finished it yesterday evening.

It was a pleasure to listen to a lot of the voice acting in this. I never felt like there was too much flourish in the writing compared to something like Pillars of Eternity. It made me laugh a lot. Most characters felt fresh, not tropy, distinct from each-other and human. It's like the people who were writing this actually know how people talk. Overall, the writing is above most western releases from the last decade or two. It's not without problems however. I'm pretty sure they could have left out all of the political stuff and the game wouldn't suffer for it. While the representation of the different idiologies is more than most games will offer at first, by the end you'll notice that it's all just a bunch of caricatures to laugh at. The ending is also lackluster. With 3 big loose end tie ups, it felt like. I literally spent an entire in-game day just ending the game. IMO the better way would have been to just let the players figure out stuff on their own. Leave some of the threads open. The "killer" was a letdown for me as well. By the mid-point I had a much more interesting theory about the killer in my head. Ah well, you can't have everything.

I liked the idea of partial personalities talking to you and the Thought Cabinet. The implementation isn't perfect and I hope they will iterate on it. Most of the emotional moments in this game came from these personalities for me, not the external characters. Some of these feel redundant and while they did a great job making them sound distinct even though it's the same VA, I would still had preferred less of them and more than one VA.

Despite some people claiming this is a visual novel, I felt like the overworld exploration still was worth the effort. It makes Mayonnaise feel like a real place and the exploration was fun in and of itself. It reminded me of the PS1 Final Fantasies.

Overall, great stuff. I'm glad I played it. Not sure it is worth 40bux, but on sale = definitely yes. I think the replayability is medium. You can still try and do things differently with the Union or play as a different copotype, but the suspense is gone once you know who the killer is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom