Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silverfish

Arbiter
How are Surge 1 and 2 anyway?

Surge 1 is shit, but it's hilarious, so it depends on your tastes more than a game would generally. You will clip through the floor and die during boss fights. If you see the humor in that, go for it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
How are Surge 1 and 2 anyway?

Surge 1 is shit, but it's hilarious, so it depends on your tastes more than a game would generally. You will clip through the floor and die during boss fights. If you see the humor in that, go for it.

I haven't seen that, but it is janky as hell. It's much better than Lords of the Fallen though.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I do think some of the git gud people here are being edgelord defensive on Fromsoft shit design for the sake of being edgelord. Even people who SL1'd the game successfully despise Malenia :

Bad design is still bad desgin even if you find ways to deal with it and kill the boss.

Wunderbar

Arcane
FV6Iz11.png

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Bad design is still bad desgin even if you find ways to deal with it and kill the boss.
A lot of people just think the hardest bosses are the best. If you look at a bunch of peoples boss tierlists for From Soft games you'll notice that the hardest ones tend to be peoples favourites for some reason. Perhaps because it's more of an event and naturally more memorable since you spend more time on that boss? Dunno

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
A lot of people just think the hardest bosses are the best. If you look at a bunch of peoples boss tierlists for From Soft games you'll notice that the hardest ones tend to be peoples favourites for some reason. Perhaps because it's more of an event and naturally more memorable since you spend more time on that boss? Dunno
People like being challenged?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I like to think that people like these games because of the atmosphere and immersion and level design and clean and weighty combat and depth in addition to the challenge. But I could be wrong.

I just meant to say that challenging bosses are "events," to people. I think there's a lot of amazing Souls bosses that aren't cared about because they're not difficult enough.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I like to think that people like these games because of the atmosphere and immersion and level design and clean and weighty combat and depth in addition to the challenge. But I could be wrong.
I do for sure. I'd enjoy a pure FromSoft stealth game with the vibe and level design and trademark handcrafted care. Like a Sekiro sequel spliced with Phantom Pain. Yum.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

I just meant to say that challenging bosses are "events," to people. I think there's a lot of amazing Souls bosses that aren't cared about because they're not difficult enough.
None of these things apply if you are fighting a boos for the 500th time trying to perfect your play. That's pretty much how I played all the Souls games.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

None of these things apply if you are fighting a boos for the 500th time trying to perfect your play. That's pretty much how I played all the Souls games.

This is why I don't mind the Elden Ring boss copies maybe with higher stats or a new move, etc. You can try and get better to perfect your dodging, parrying, or whatever. A lot of the optional duos and waves of bosses feel like challenge modes to me. I think it's cool.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
That's true. Thankfully there's only one or two bosses like that in each game

This is why I don't mind the Elden Ring boss copies maybe with higher stats or a new move, etc. You can try and get better to perfect your dodging, parrying, or whatever. A lot of the optional duos and waves of bosses feel like challenge modes to me. I think it's cool.
I don't mind them too much either. Although I'd like it if the legacy dungeon bosses were all unique. The erdtree avatars are really cool, which is funny because I really liked the three asylum demons in DS1 as well which are basically the same enemy lol.

Soul of cinder still the best boss From ever created.
Sinh! Artorias! Old Hero! Soul of Cinder is fun too though

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I just turned my one eyed Odiness into a fireball, now I am in the sky a second time. How much time do I have?
Not much apparently.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
A friend of mine loves the Skeletal Militiaman ashes: they constantly attract enemies' aggro but don't deal enough damage to have a big impact on the fight, so he can still face enemies almost fairly but with longer safe windows to heal and attack. So far I've tried them only to see them in action, but I will probably try a semi-pacifist run with a supporting buffer cheering for his spirit summons.
The two Skeletal Militiamen also have the benefit of being able to resurrect (individually) after one's hit points drop to zero, in the same manner as normal skeletons, although this means that if they are hit in the interval between dropping to the ground at zero HP and resurrecting they will be eliminated from the fight. Wouldn't be too helpful against bosses with AoE or other attacks likely to finish them off but in other fights could last to the end despite "dying" repeatedly. :M

Olinser

Savant
So maybe somebody can answer this because I can't find any answer on any site that I've seen.

Why do you sometimes get more runes when summoned? MOST of the time you get exactly the same amount when summoned for the same boss.

But a small amount of the time, suddenly I get 2x or I think 3x of the normal amount (65k from Rykard instead of 32.5k, for instance).

I haven't been able to figure out WHY I got more runes seemingly at random.

orcinator

Liturgist

I actually agree with almost all of this.

The moment you pronounce a phrase like:

"The highs are so high that I don't think From will ever top them and the lows are so low that I'm not even excited for the next game they make like this anymore"

it becomes clear that you're talking only to hear the sound of your voice. Can't blame him though, his voice is soothing and easy to listen to.

I'm not gonna watch the video but I don't see what's odd about that statement. It's gud when it tries to be dark souls (budget and time) and really bad when it tries to be skyrim or dark souls (no budget and time)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I purposely like to keep myself underleveled and with low weapon upgrade so that every boss becomes a memorable event.

I just get a sour taste in my mouth whenever i walk in a boss and kill it in 20 seconds without so much as learning the move sets etc.

I think it's just a way to relive the first time i played DS1, since at the time every boss fight was an event just because i was new to the game and had no idea what i was doing. Even Pinwheel scared the crap out of me when i first got there (though i didn't die lmao).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The only coping mechanism I see around here is you desperately trying to respond negatively to every one of my glorious posts. Because I live rent free in your tiny head. You quote me in your signature, you just HAVE to respond to everything I say. The butthurt must run deep indeed. Just like Zed Doink of Banville has to negatively rate everything I say because I embarrassed his tastes in literature and games. Whereas I couldn't care less about either of your posts if I tried. :smug: But carry on, you amuse me.
Don't overthink it Porky, I just like (probably too much) to quote the Pinwheel post whenever I can because it's amusing. I marked you as my mortal enemy the moment I saw you didn't like Icewind Dale, but I'm not powerful enough to do anything about it.

I'm the lead general of the "Elden Ring is so easy" brigade and I've played my entire first playthrough with a claymore. Zero summons or online guides, and I would sooner have sex with a thousand rustys than watch a streamer even for a second.

Post a video of fighting some tough boss with some identifying info. Never saw you do that in any FS game. My guess is that's because you cheese the fights. No one who brags so much about how easy stuff is could actually have any skill, my see-through friend. ;)
I'm repeating this only because I don't want legit opinions to disappear under the pile of shitposting: my crusade isn't against people who say the endgame bosses are hard, but against those who are convinced they are impossible and unreasonably unfair. I already stated multiple times that Malenia is soul-crushingly hard, I'm not deranged enough to think the contrary. But then people come up saying she is impossible and her moves are unavoidable, when there are at least 4 separate categories of tools to deal with it (greatshields, dodge-like ashes of war, status effects, stagger through damage). Sure, the attack is humanly impossible to avoid by just pressing circle without centuries of training, but how is it possible that people complain that these games are getting roll-spam simulators and then get mad when an attack can't be avoided by roll spamming?

But sure, I'll post a gameplay video. I had fun doing the same a couple of pages ago, ridiculing myself by failing to dodge every single attack against Morgott (and still killing him in 60 seconds). I'm just past Maliketh (which killed me multiple times because I'm playing without a shield and I'm clearly not good enough to support this playstyle), is Hoarah Loux okay? Radagon? For Malenia you'll have to wait while I go through the level.

Why do you sometimes get more runes when summoned? MOST of the time you get exactly the same amount when summoned for the same boss.
Is it possible that you're getting summoned in NG+ cycles?

Usually FS puts more effort in the realization of every aspect of the hardest bossfights. Presentation, visual design, music, and even the discoveries and realizations leading to the boss itself. The Red Wolf of Radagon might be a cool boss, but he's an unnamed dog you find sitting in an empty library. On the other hand, Malenia might ruin your weekend, but she is a rot-goddess mommy with a golden arm and giant wings made of butterflies.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom