Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

a problem with rpgs

carole kind

Prospernaut
Codex Year of the Donut
What is your fondest memories of rpgs

to me is secret of evermore

something charming and nothing that leaves to any imagination

is 2020s rpgs less about charm?

Falksi

Arcane
Well Secret of Evemore is a damn sight better than Secret of Mana, I'll give you that.

But SNES RPGs are generally entry-level shit, so go back and play some PC RPGs and both your nostalgia & desire for good gaming will return.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

to me is secret of evermore

something charming and nothing that leaves to any imagination

is 2020s rpgs less about charm?

Your OP truly leaves a lot to the imagination.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Not sure what this post is about exactly but I'll give it a go. I remember being so excited for Zelda II The Adventure of Link. A fter have played the first Legend of Zelda I was very much looking forward to its sequel. I remember watching this terrible 20/20 segment on the game and its success in Japan. How the craze was catching on over in the west. It was done by in insufferable John Stossel. My brain at the time couldnt comprehend how those adults could get so many things wrong about anything let alone my most anticipated game of all time. The game was delayed quite a bit if memory serves. So I ended up with a game called Legacy of the Wizard. I remember reading about it and thinking wow this is going to be amazing. You even got to play as various characters of the same family across a few generations. The game manual had me chomping at the bits to play. The game was terrible.

Fast forward half a year or so and Zelda II comes out. The anticipation was palpable. The delays, the reviews only had me even more ready to play this masterpiece. The game was just as terrible as Legacy fo the Wizard. But the disappointment was oh so much worse. That was when I relaiized there was a problem with RPG's. Luckily I was blessed with a computer a few years later and lived through a golden age of RPGs. But I made it this far and its right back to the Legacy of The Wizard and Zelda II levels of shit. And here I am on the Codex.

Saduj

Arcane

Playing Ultimas III-V with my brothers and father when I was a kid. Trying to kill Lord British (we never figured out the boat trick). Trying to steal stuff in III and using time powder to escape. My youngest brother's anti-Avatar in IV who would get reemed out by Hawkwind the Seer. Being betrayed by Saduj in V and then telling my brothers I found a strong NPC they should recruit. Just screwing around and being kids. I still like to play crpgs but for different reasons and there is no way to have that much fun now regardless of the quality of the game.

FriendlyMerchant

The problem with rpgs today as have often been the case in the past is that gameplay has in general been lacking. Unfortunately, much of the focus of rpg develop is often focused on story and CYOA visual novel features over what really matters; the tactical gameplay and character building and adjusting those to make it as enjoyable as possible for the target audience.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Faery Tale Adventure on the Commodore Amiga, especially riding the giant turtle:

vOilbtL.jpg
kjzBMpr.jpg
whvjXxJ.jpg
8oqZb7d.png
8utYSx5.jpg
JQUnOUH.jpg
GcJPCQp.jpg
UXhuhpW.jpg

kA3m1cp.png

Harthwain

Magister
From Gothic I - a large and pretty much seamless open world (the loading times were there, but they were very rapid). Gritty but realistic setting (for a fantasy game). Impressive reactions from NPCs (such as them taking stuff from you after beating you, getting combat-ready and telling you to shelter your weapon, routines, etc.).

From Morrowind - a large and unique open world to explore. Gorgeous skybox (particularly at night). Interesting traversal magic that went in-hand with exploration (water breathing, water walking, flying) and the ability to create your own spells. Being able to loot items NPCs actually had on them when they died. The layered armor system. The classless system. The system of improving skills by doing, rather by gathering abstract experience points.

Looking back it's sad to see how things declined. There was a moment when I thought games will only continue to get better, only to end up disappointed (Oblivion, for example). Instead of having functional improvements the focus is on visuals, at cost of gameplay mechanics.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
AR1000-Easthaven.webp

Went on a trip to a cabin in the mountains for a few days in the winter of 2000.
This was back before you had internet access everywhere, we were out in the mountains in a boon-dock State with the nearest village 20 mins away.
Bought my Dell Inspirion 7500 notebook, Purchased Icewind Dale on the way-up there.

Something about playing an RPG about folks in a snowy wilderness far away from civilization, while I myself was in much the same situation felt so cozy and nostalgic.
One of the few times in life where how I played a game made me think it is a much better game than it really was.

Last edited:

dumbuglyorc

Educated

Went on a trip to the mountains for a few days in the winter of 2000.
This was back before you had internet access everywhere, we were out in the mountains in a boon-dock State with the nearest village 20 mins away.
Bought my Dell Inspirion 7500 notebook with it`s killer 8 MB ATI Rage Mobility Video Card along for the trip.
Purchased Icewind Dale from a Super Wal-mart on the way-up there.

Something about playing an RPG about people in a snowy wilderness far away from civilization, while I myself was in much the same situation felt so cozy and nostalgic.
One of the few times in life where how I played a game made me think it is a much better game than it really was.

So, you played it for, like, one hour before the battery on that laptop died, and it still left this deep an impression? Cool.

wishbonetail

Learned
And here i thought ill just hang out on these forums for a couple of decades to practice my english before i can start my own thread.

wishbonetail

Learned
Unfortunately, much of the focus of rpg develop is often focused on story and CYOA visual novel features over what really matters; the tactical gameplay and character building and adjusting those to make it as enjoyable as possible for the target audience.
Unfortunately, much of the focus of rpg develop is often focused on story and CYOA visual novel features with tactical battles over what really matters; the exploration and character building and adjusting those to make it as enjoyable as possible for the target audience.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
la la la la

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom