Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry .

Which is the best Wizardry game?

• Wizardry II: The Knight of Diamonds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wizardry III: Legacy of Llylgamyn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sigard

Not Excidium

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
hFBKkt4.png

MartinK

Learned
Out of theal the Wizardry games I never finished I liked the 7th one the most. I even got quite far in it.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Wiz 8? Is that the first Wizardry I could not get engaged in ? All I can say is Wiz 8 was terrible. I never got much beyond the first 20 minutes and the graphics were utterly abhorrent.

I remember playing about 5 minutes of Bane of the Cosmic Forge and thinking it was so gripping I could not bring myself to stop playing.

Crusaders of the Dark Savant I knew it was awesome before I had even made it to the city. Just wandering in the woods so many interesting things happened I realized that no way did David Bradley just get lucky with Bane. He had improved substantially. I also knew it was super monacle stuff that was head and shoulders above the riff raff with the narrative alone. I had not felt so monacled playing a computer game since Darklands which was high art and distinctly striving for excellence.

When I got my first look at the dungeon graphics in Crusaders I really felt the win and spectacular goodness coming off it in a wave. I'm not making this up out of nostalgia. First time I booted it I knew it was special from the first few moments. Truly a classic RPG board game with all the good things from pencil and paper made 50 times better.

I would not feel that excellence again until the first couple minutes of LANDS OF LORE, which I still think is one of the best blobbers ever after the Wizardry series by Bradley. If LOL had been turn based it would have been perfect.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can’t decide between Wizardry 7 & 8. (Vote as per d6.)

They both have certain kind of charm to them that’s pretty different between the games.

But who cares. Good games are good games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Of the first seven I find 6 the overall best.
1, 4 and 5 are also very good, but in different ways.
2 is too short and bland.
3 is too uneven.
7 is too long with far too many trash fights with very little reward in the form of loot (M&M games did that aspect better). The competing AI controled bands, Might Mouse and 1000 Eyes don't quite make up for the negative things.

Wizfall

Cipher
Wiz 6 -7 and 8 have their charms indeed.
But problems with Wiz 6 and 7 is the character system.
Very exiting and fun at first but totally broken which make it uninteresting :
- class switching is a massively overpowered, easy and unlimited so everybody can do everything.
- you will max some skills at 1/3 of the games...
In the end character development and party composition are dull which is a fatal flaw, at least for me at it's the most fun part of a blobber.

On the other hand Wiz 8 character system is great, no more class switching craziness and skills are not maxed so soon so it's the better game.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You can easily fuck yourself if you class change too much in 6 and 7. You will be lacking in levels, meaning you repeatedly get wrecked by status effects, and you will end up with a huge excess of skill points (especially in 7 when skill points are category-locked).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I would not feel that excellence again until the first couple minutes of LANDS OF LORE

How to ruin your argument.

Anyway, graphics are irrelevant, nobody ever loved Wizardry 8 for its graphics.
Mostly, the character dev system in Wizardry 8 is just better because you're not randomly losing attribute points, it's the most retarded feature ever implemented in an otherwise good game/franchise.

As for the multi-classing shenanigans from early wizardry, it's alright, it somewhat works when opposed to similar overpowered murderous enemies which Wizardry 8 end-game lacks.

Last but not least, early Wiz UI are hot garbage so this and the reduced attributes shenanigans make the early wizardry a pain to play.
Not even counting fountains and puddles litteraly swallowing whole teams of adventurers and drowning them in seconds, second worst feature in an otherwise good video game...

As for LoL ... Well, Lands of Lore features garbage RT combat, there's not much else to say...

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyone not voting for wizardry 7 (I understand boomers choosing wiz 1, so do not say that atlet is intolerable) has terrible taste and I wont ever consider your opinons worthy anymore

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Wizardry 8 represents several steps away from the "classic" blobber formula.

Wizardry 8 has a lot of positive aspects, but it has some extremely unpleasant aspects as well... and some of those problems would be less bad if it was more like past Wizardries.

Making everything 3d and giving monsters real positioning does away with some of the streamlining inherent in the blobber formula, but the way it was implemented in W8 also means that trash battles often end up taking 45 minutes, most of which is the AI's turn.

I find the classic blobber gameplay uninteresting because it is so streamlined, but Wizardry 8 adds a lot of tedium, so maybe it's not really the most enjoyable game in the series, even though it has way better mechanics in theory.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
If there is a wizardry 8 spiritual successor. I want a longer game maybe a triple scenario game where you alternate controlling 3 parties working for various goals with one major plot moving forward as they accomplish their goals. Mix of premade npcs and your pcs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom