Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing multiple games at once

Do you play multiple games?

• Total voters

Alphons

Cipher
Inspired by Hellraiser post, where he said that he currently plays Factorio, NV, Bioshock and Red Alert.

Do you start and continue to play multiple games at once?

Personally the idea itself sounds tiring to me.
Having to remember what I was planning to do in each game, what I already did, etc.

I've always played one game at a time, from start to finish (or dropping it due to boredom), so maybe I'm just predisposed.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I usually tend to hop between games until one really grabs me. I also cycle between genres depending on what I currently wanna play: one strategy game, one RPG, one FPS for example.

Palomides

Augur
Yes, though as mentioned, in different genres. It doesn't do it for me to play the same thing constantly, I must break it up with a fighting game or similar here and there, or I'd get a bit burnt out.

Jinn

Arcane
I usually have 2-4 simultaneous playthroughs of different genres going at once. It's never taxing to keep what's going on in each game straight, and even seems like a healthy exercise in memory. I also feel like it keeps my gaming time feeling much more fresh by having some variety and increases the likelihood of seeing almost every game I play through to its end, even if there is some tedium that needs trudging through.

RuySan

Augur
Usually 2-3 games of different genres and have their shortcuts on the desktop. Besides those there are those games I always come back to, such as pinball games and Amiga classics

Falksi

Arcane
My magic formula is usually RPG + Arcade style game + No-ender game (e.g. Sensible Soccer) played in tandem.

I've pretty much always done this tbh, and have no idea how folk can wade through even the best RPGs without a Twitch-based breather, nor play constant Twitch based games without delving into something deeper too.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Clarification - Bioshock I finished a while back. FNV is on hold, Red Alert is basically me getting stuck on a mission on HARD and not continuing for 2 years until I recently made an attempt to complete the damn mission and failed. I'll try again at some point, with KKND2 I had a 4 year if not longer break in a similar situation and then I finished not just that campaign but the other 2 as well.

Practically the things I play simultaneously are do to how and what kind of time I can scrounge up to play something. Well that and some games are just so fucking long I fool myself into thinking I'll totally finish it in the future, just need a break as it is too repetitive (RDR2 comes to mind, Fallout: New Vegas also). And then weeks or months happen.

So there's usually whatever game is quiet enough and not absorbing too much so that I can play while being in yet another fucking online meeting. Something I play on the desktop when I have actual gaming time. Something I can play on the laptop when I need to be outside of my prestigious study room (don't call it an office or a man cave!), although at the moment I use that time slot for book reading. And finally whatever I might be playing on consoles, where I have two groups of games, whatever long/more absorbing singleplayer title I am playing (usually in the evenings, but this competes with desktop gaming time) and more casual/arcade titles where a lot can be done in half an hour or an hour (ex. while waiting for my wife to get ready to leave when going out, or when waiting for guests) such as racing games, fighting games and the occasional platformer with decent saving/password system (DKC2 recently).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have started around 20 games that I will at some point finish. The ones that I am wasting most time on are Tales of Xillia 2 and Avernum 5. Both are not that far from the end. After these, I will continue with Elden Ring and ELEX II. I get a few session of the other games in between. It might sound strange, but I beat 50+ games many years in a row.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Depends entirely on the games. I often have one FPS and one RPG going concurrently, but sometimes you just have to focus on one thing. I played through Wizardry 7 last month and there's no way to do that without cutting out all distractions.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Two games at the same time and introduce a new one into the rotation after I finish one of them. I tend to finish most games that I pick up, though I don't force myself to do so.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I play one RPG at a time, and only one story-based game (usually the RPG) at a time.

But I can also play some other games at the same time that are not about story and character, such as multiplayer FPS, platformers and combat/strategy games.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I amlost always only play one game at a time. The exception to the rule is if I am really into an MMO I will on occasion playing something noncommital.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I tend to have two games going at once, perhaps with a third relatively unimportant one going too. I try to ensure that they're not quite the same kind of game, especially not playing multiple RPGs or weeb games at the same time, because that's how you get totally lost and confused.

Zlaja

Arcane
I can't for the life of me focus on more then one game at a time. If I start a new game before I have finished the current one I'm playing, I usually end up abandoning the old one. This is aggravating because sometimes I feel the fatigue of playing some really long game and then I really feel tempted to start up something new, but I have to refrain from doing so because the chance of me going back to finish the old one is really slim. And I hate not finishing the games I play.

JDR13

Arcane
One game at a time for me. I might take a break to try a new demo or something, but I generally like to focus on a single game until I finish it.

dacencora

I mostly play JRPGs these days, I guess, and I tend to play a roguelike when I need a break from the cutscene stuff. Sometimes a boomer shooter fits the bill too, just something that's pure action and gameplay.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I also keep several playthroughs of games going at the same time but onley very rarely do I play more then one per day or session.

Usually it's a combination of a RPG, a RTS and a tacticool shooter to play with the bros.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I seem to be in like-minded company with my "two games tops and they're of different genres" approach. I've noticed I definitely have a "main" game and other is usually a side show, though.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I often have some sort of fighting game, usually a King of Fighters, in circulation with anything else I'm focused on.

I fear by playing RPGs too long it will slow down my reactions and make me become someone that can only enjoy things that are turn-based. Very harrowing fate.

curds

Magister
I play between one and three at any given time, depending on how absorbed I am in the game.

Right now it's mostly Gothic 2, with some Elden Ring and Legend of Grimrock when I don't feel like playing Gothic.

Playing only one RPG at a time makes sense to me, but these days I don't really enjoy any other genres like I used to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom