Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MythForce - co-op first person inspired by 80s cartoons from Beamdog

Falksi

Arcane
Looks like quality shit to me. Might be good for a giggle.

EEs are fine. Even great in many ways.
Everything good in the EEs is the stuff Beamdog didn't change.

Everything bad in the EEs is the stuff Beamdog did change.

The improved pathfinding is a definite plus. There's a fair few younger gamers I know who tried to get into the original BG2 but couldn't because of said PF, but who then tried BG2EE and did. That's a win for proper gaming in my book, even if it does leave a sour taste.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
There are some good technical changes in the EEs(especially wrt modding) that are ruined by the largely unwanted content changes nobody asked for.

Codex Year of the Donut
even beamdog knows they fucked up the EEs considering how differently they handled PST to BG1/2
No, there was place for new companions in BG, there wasn't in Torment.
It has nothing to do with that. All the changes in the PSTEE were ran by Avellone before they were added.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/planescape-torment/planescape-torment-enhanced-edition-steam
Thank the Changing God, then, for the surprise return of Torment’s own legacy. Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition is a brand new version of the classic RPG, out April 11, that represents more than a year’s work infusing the game with 4K-friendly features, an overhauled UI, and remastered music under the watchful stewardship of Chris Avellone.
“When we did make some changes, they were very comfortable for the original design. There are some big things that we looked at and went, ‘This would make it better but we’re basically going in and repainting the smile on the Mona Lisa here.’”

Beamdog have, in the main, erred on the side of preserving Planescape as it was – simply polishing it up for modern PCs. They’ve rebuilt the interface in high-definition, jettisoning a radial menu when they found the game played better without it. They’ve brought the audio up to contemporary standards. And they’ve pulled over convenience features from the other Enhanced Editions, like tab highlighting and a ‘quickloot’ option.

“It’s really being able to know: what are sacred cows, and what are sacrificial goats? I think we’ve had weekly calls [with Chris],” notes Oster. “It’s just an ongoing discussion.”

They were fully aware at this point that adding or changing content was completely unwanted by the fanbase after the backlash they received. PSTEE came half a decade after BG1EE.

Arthandas

Prophet
It has nothing to do with that. All the changes in the PSTEE were ran by Avellone before they were added.
No they weren't, because there were no content changes, and all Avellone did for EE is check the script one more time.
Like I said, there was place for new content in BG, but not in PST and they understood that.
They were fully aware at this point that adding or changing content was completely unwanted by the fanbase after the backlash they received. PSTEE came half a decade after BG1EE.
What backlash? There was no backlash outside of Codex and no one cares about the Codex. Both EEs are universally praised, only some stubborn old fucks here keep complaining like Beamdog stole their virginity or something.

Last edited:
even beamdog knows they fucked up the EEs considering how differently they handled PST to BG1/2
They fucked up both. They added awful new companions to the BG's while neglecting to fix PST's poor combat yet still introducing a bunch of new bugs.

Okay come on, at least get your criticism right. If beamdog had touched PST's combat, you'd be sitting here complaining about how they ruined the combat. When things are so easy to shit on, everyone loses standards on what's criticism and new information.

Well, the music sucks. Sounds like The Midnight decided to compose the opening, and that comes with the whole "modern day production techniques to make songs with 80's sensibilities" thing.
The art style sucks, they've got good things going on with how it looks, but it comes off so clean and sterile looking while trying to do the whole "subverting 80's tropes" things with the characters.
Yet if you took away the tropes thing, it's still just too clean looking.

The game is a 1-4 cooperative shooter which was likely just to ride the trends. It looks a lot like paladins, if you jammed paladins with Quake, in a Diablo setting with a badly execute 80's theme.
So not only does the game itself suck, but it's just to ride trends.

If it's any indication what to expect from Beamdog, look at Neera in BGEE and compare her to the other characters. There's a part where Neera literally says word for word to you, "If you don't like me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best!" which prompted a friendly fire from me naturally. Neera's role in the Baldur's Gate universe and how she was written and voice acted is a good analogy for Beamdog's creative vision in regards to anything at this point, including whatever this is.

Cross

Arcane
They fucked up both. They added awful new companions to the BG's while neglecting to fix PST's poor combat yet still introducing a bunch of new bugs.

Okay come on, at least get your criticism right. If beamdog had touched PST's combat, you'd be sitting here complaining about how they ruined the combat. When things are so easy to shit on, everyone loses standards on what's criticism and new information.
I doubt anyone would've complained if they had made the combat more in line with BG/IWD. Which would have been a relatively simple thing to do, considering Beamdog's Enhanced Edition of IWD brought in spells and class kits from the BG's.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
"The 80s called. They want their heroes back."

Imagine having such a lack of self-awareness and shitting on your own game with the first tag line in your trailer. :lol::lol::lol:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I guess the most of dislikes on YouTube are coming from this being Epic exclusive. Plus, yeah, some people who wanted something different from Beamdog.

Codex Year of the Donut
they look absolutely nothing like any 1980s heroes I can think of

BlackStar
MV5-BMm-Ix-YWJm-Zjkt-NWIw-Ny00-Nj-Zh-LTk1-ZTYt-Mz-Bk-Mjky-Zj-Jl-NDQ1-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-Nzg3-Mj-I0-NTM-V1.jpg

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
He-Man-and-the-Masters-of-the-Universe.jpg

MythForce
snapshot.jpg

It's some twisted puritan's vision of what 1980 cartoons should have looked like.

d1nolore

Savant
I agree they got the graphics wrong. Regardless I don’t play these types of games so will pass.

The models look like something cheap out of Unity's asset store, the animations look bad, the gameplay seems to be painfully boring and too simplistic for 30+ years old dudes enjoy it, the music got on my nerves in less than two minutes, the actual game looks nothing like an 80s cartoon and more like a lazy student project.
To which demographic was this supposed to appeal to?

WoW 80s NoLstaGIa GUYS! SO KEWL!!1onE

What a depressing, garbage waste of resources. I don't think you could be any less inspired than this. Even fake nostalgia pixelshit vomit is better (and that's saying something).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom