Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I just started up a replay of ID after playing through Baldur's Gate 1 for the first time, and I am deeply appreciating automatic rest until healed as well as all the other little QoL tweaks that Black Isle added. This game is wasting vastly less of my time than BG.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I’m planning to give IWD2 another try after I’ll get some 1200p display so I can integer upscale its native resolution (800x600). My current 1080p one is unfortunately unsuitable for this due to the obvious vertical limitation.

I find the pacing in the beginning to be very good. Up until it slows down and loses my volatile attention after some time. The writing in the starting area is also very nice. Laughed hard speaking with the cat lady. It’s Avellone who wrote her if I am not mistaken.

3.5e is pretty entertaining to tinker with. I have some interesting RP ideas about at least half of the party.
Finally got myself 1920x1200 Dell. Honestly IE was waiting for the integer upscale tech all the time:

*screenshots cannot be done with an integer upscale mode turned on, maybe this is why we don’t have much hype about it

DarkUnderlord please buy already some more servers, 1mb file upload limitation is travesty

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ha. This isn't an alt of mine. Guy must have read my posts on the 'Dex or on that modders forum where I created a thread and they verified it: https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/u4tvbg/icewind_dale_2_stealth_is_completely_broken/

"And... well... they all worked the same. All 3 were able to hide outside view 100% of the time. And all 3 were 100% FAILING (EDIT: to clarify: I mean 100% failing to perform stealth check WHILE ALREADY HIDDEN, in other words: my elf with super stealth was as stealthy as lvl 1 clumsy dwarf paladin) all the time near goblin at the docks. Yeah... even elf with 30+ hide and move silently was constantly failing stealth if the check was performed with goblin in his view."

Then they link to my thread on the G3 forums. Haha! The word is spreading!

...Maybe a fix in the next 20 years or so at this rate...

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I heard there was a remake of Icewind Dale for Neverwinter Nights. Is there a remake of ID2?

I heard there was a remake of Icewind Dale for Neverwinter Nights. Is there a remake of ID2?

The NWN2 remake of Icewind Dale is very faithful to the original and worth playing. Not as good as the full BG1 remake, but still worthy. There is no NWN2 Icewind Dale 2 remake that I know of. I can't imagine why someone would make the effort to.

Melcar

Arcane
I’m planning to give IWD2 another try after I’ll get some 1200p display so I can integer upscale its native resolution (800x600). My current 1080p one is unfortunately unsuitable for this due to the obvious vertical limitation.

I find the pacing in the beginning to be very good. Up until it slows down and loses my volatile attention after some time. The writing in the starting area is also very nice. Laughed hard speaking with the cat lady. It’s Avellone who wrote her if I am not mistaken.

3.5e is pretty entertaining to tinker with. I have some interesting RP ideas about at least half of the party.
Finally got myself 1920x1200 Dell. Honestly IE was waiting for the integer upscale tech all the time:

*screenshots cannot be done with an integer upscale mode turned on, maybe this is why we don’t have much hype about it

DarkUnderlord please buy already some more servers, 1mb file upload limitation is travesty

Looks great. Personally I use the widescreen mode to set the game at 1280x720 and then upscale it with gamescope to my screen's native 2560x1440. Sadly I could never manage to fix the blinking cursor and popping sound.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sadly I could never manage to fix the blinking cursor and popping sound.
Direct draw fix with wined3d option fixes this for me in all IE games perfectly. Did you try it?

Edit: not sure about a sound though, never happened to me afair

Melcar

Arcane
Direct draw fix with wined3d option fixes this for me in all IE games perfectly. Did you try it?

They seem to be problems inherent to WINE (specially the sound issues). Tried many things in the past but those two issues are always prevalent.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

They seem to be problems inherent to WINE (specially the sound issues). Tried many things in the past but those two issues are always prevalent.
Weird. Option 2 works fine for me*
Capture.PNG
*Game startup may take some extra time in some cases and alt-tabbing is better to be avoided.

Jigby

Augur
Melcar
I don't know about the gamescope interplay, but have you disabled csmt in wine? I remember on older wines iwd2 ran dogshit with csmt, although that might have changed.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

Because NWN controls like ass compared to any of the IE games, especially when controlling a party.
Ah, makes sense.

I wish there was a suitable engine. I would love to see a NWN remake with IE controls and modules remaking old D&D games like Temple of Elemental Evil, Ruins of Myth Drannor, Forgotten Realms Archives, etc.

Daingerous

Novice
I know this a dumb noobie question but why is there such a difficulty spike with the dragon eye dungeon and then the rest of the game is a tedious repetitive breeze? I liked having to use real tactics and planning besides hacking and slash but it only lasts for a few hours excluding a couple of the mid-late game fights. Was there a devolpment rush or something that I don't know about?

Comte_II

I know this a dumb noobie question but why is there such a difficulty spike with the dragon eye dungeon and then the rest of the game is a tedious repetitive breeze? I liked having to use real tactics and planning besides hacking and slash but it only lasts for a few hours excluding a couple of the mid-late game fights. Was there a devolpment rush or something that I don't know about?

I believe both games were made in a rushed state. Interplay even rushed the Fallouts.

Melcar

Arcane
Melcar
I don't know about the gamescope interplay, but have you disabled csmt in wine? I remember on older wines iwd2 ran dogshit with csmt, although that might have changed.
Yeah, you have to disable it otherwise the game is a slideshow. WINE in general has problems with sound in many old games for some reason (particularly if you use pulseaudio). Like I get popping sound in the Thief games, but smooth sound in the Fallouts. Could be EAX but I also have that disabled.

I don't know but I feel like the difficulty curve would be smoother if you went to Severed Hand before Dragon's Eye. I wonder if the route was supposed to be different originally, either with Dragon's Eye being later or with there being cut content before Dragon's Eye.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Sawyer designed Dragon's Eye and he expected people to know how to play AD&D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom