Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

Drakortha

Liturgist
GW1 is way better than GW2. GW2 is just a generic WoW clone. GW1 was from the age when MMOs were unique and interesting.
:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M
he's right
I played gw2 first, gw1 was infinitely better

That must be why you can't stop talking about how bad GW2 is. GW1 is just so good that it's more interesting to parrot on about it's sequel. Cope harder lol.

Codex Year of the Donut
GW1 is way better than GW2. GW2 is just a generic WoW clone. GW1 was from the age when MMOs were unique and interesting.
:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M:M
he's right
I played gw2 first, gw1 was infinitely better

That must be why you can't stop talking about how bad GW2 is. GW1 is just so good that it's more interesting to parrot on about it's sequel. Cope harder lol.
I'll tell anyone who will listen about how trash GW2 is.
At first I thought it was just an uninspired shitty WoW clone. Then I found out it raped GW1 afterwards, making it even worse.

Drakortha

Liturgist
GW2 is so bad. GW1 was better than it in every way, it was a revolutionary game at the time but GW2 is just a stupid WoW clone.

see? I can be retarded too. now give me my brofists

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
In other news.
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Feedback:Developer_updates/20220414

Hello fellow Tyrians!

When Guild Wars launched in 2005 it was a true worldwide game. ArenaNet managed servers in North America (first in Los Angeles, then Dallas, and now West Virginia) and the European Union (Frankfurt, Germany). Guild Wars was also hosted in Asia with datacenter support from our colleagues in NC Korea, NC Japan, and NC Taiwan. Starting around 2010 the hardware in the Asian datacenters aged out and we re-routed players in Asia to the North American datacenter.

As some of you may remember, our Frankfurt datacenter blew up in 2018 just as we were beginning the transition to Amazon Web Services hosting, which oddly enough, was great timing, as explosions go. We were able to start over and build new and improved infrastructure. I am happy to report that the improvements we’ve made to the game since 2018 have brought new and returning players into the land of Tyria. In fact, our top concurrency hit a new record during the 2022 Lunar New Year event, with just about triple the number of players we saw in early 2018.

With the increase in players and the 17th anniversary of the launch of Guild Wars Prophecies approaching on April 28, I am pleased to announce that Guild Wars will be returning to Asia with a dedicated datacenter hosted in Seoul, South Korea. Once deployed, any player that selects Asia in the District drop-down (any language) will be routed to the new datacenter. The new routing is now live.

This update returns Guild Wars to its premier status as a true worldwide game where players can play with their friends anywhere in the world and have fun. Our commitment to 24/7 uptime makes it easy for friends to get together without worrying about maintenance windows in their local territory. (Guild Wars has been operating without downtime since May 2018 even as we scaled up for the increase in players.) Guild Wars has native textual language support for English, Korean, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Polish, and Russian, and audio performances in English, Korean, French, German, Italian and Spanish. NCWest provides customer service support in English, French, German and Spanish.

Thanks for all your support over the years and have fun!

Codex Year of the Donut
In other news.
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Feedback:Developer_updates/20220414

Hello fellow Tyrians!

When Guild Wars launched in 2005 it was a true worldwide game. ArenaNet managed servers in North America (first in Los Angeles, then Dallas, and now West Virginia) and the European Union (Frankfurt, Germany). Guild Wars was also hosted in Asia with datacenter support from our colleagues in NC Korea, NC Japan, and NC Taiwan. Starting around 2010 the hardware in the Asian datacenters aged out and we re-routed players in Asia to the North American datacenter.

As some of you may remember, our Frankfurt datacenter blew up in 2018 just as we were beginning the transition to Amazon Web Services hosting, which oddly enough, was great timing, as explosions go. We were able to start over and build new and improved infrastructure. I am happy to report that the improvements we’ve made to the game since 2018 have brought new and returning players into the land of Tyria. In fact, our top concurrency hit a new record during the 2022 Lunar New Year event, with just about triple the number of players we saw in early 2018.

With the increase in players and the 17th anniversary of the launch of Guild Wars Prophecies approaching on April 28, I am pleased to announce that Guild Wars will be returning to Asia with a dedicated datacenter hosted in Seoul, South Korea. Once deployed, any player that selects Asia in the District drop-down (any language) will be routed to the new datacenter. The new routing is now live.

This update returns Guild Wars to its premier status as a true worldwide game where players can play with their friends anywhere in the world and have fun. Our commitment to 24/7 uptime makes it easy for friends to get together without worrying about maintenance windows in their local territory. (Guild Wars has been operating without downtime since May 2018 even as we scaled up for the increase in players.) Guild Wars has native textual language support for English, Korean, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Polish, and Russian, and audio performances in English, Korean, French, German, Italian and Spanish. NCWest provides customer service support in English, French, German and Spanish.

Thanks for all your support over the years and have fun!
GW1 becoming popular again would be a bad thing, ANet would destroy it
better for everyone except the one ANet employee maintaining it to forget it exists

Black

Arcane
I wouldn't mind few more players so AB is active 24/7 again.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I mean I've beaten GW2's plotline and most everything there was in October that year (I believe it released in August or thereabouts) and only ever enjoyed a few jumping puzzles maybe, but paradropping the thread to copy paste some generic whinge about how dreadful it was everytime someone here happens to have a different opinion (wouldn't know, I missed years of content after all) is - fucking cringe

I shouldn't wonder if this just floods the game with more bots, but at least it won't go anywhere. If you all are holding ecto and you care, I'd consider selling before it's hyper-inflated again. Prices were still pretty decent last I checked.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I mean I've beaten GW2's plotline and most everything there was in October that year (I believe it released in August or thereabouts) and only ever enjoyed a few jumping puzzles maybe, but paradropping the thread to copy paste some generic whinge about how dreadful it was everytime someone here happens to have a different opinion (wouldn't know, I missed years of content after all) is - fucking cringe

bro if you aren't playing pvp in GW2 you are doing it wrong.

Drakortha

Liturgist
to be fair, a lot of the open world PVE stuff is really great. I can name a few great zones from top of my head; Dry Top, Silverwastes, Bjora Marches, Auric Basin.

Forget main story lines. These zones are where it's at.

They have dynamic events that fluctuate and change the difficulty of the maps, with strong themes. Snowstorms, or dust storms that bring out stronger creatures. Dragon corrupted called Branded which spreads in storms across a map, corrupting things in it's path. Or things that completely distort reality, or destroys the landscape like bloodstone.

If you are quitting at the beginning zone, you're missing out on some actual great stuff in the PVE side of things. The beginner maps are like kindergarten by comparison.

But really everyone should be playing PvP at end-game. It forces you to use your brain and actually get gud.

win a lot and make lots of gold and use that gold to also win at fashion wars. win the whole game.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Guild Wars being abandoned was a good thing as ArenaNet clearly had no idea what to do for new content. Their business model was so fucked that they had to copy paste skills between expansions to make sure certain professions didn't get too fucked.

The best thing that could happen to this game would be modding tools, but that will never happen. When it inevitably shuts down, we won't even have private servers to run on.

Gotta enjoy it while it lasts.

Just in case any newcomers or newly returned feel like trying out the game for the first time, I'd like to extend my hand and offer my services as a mentor to impart what knowledge I know. I'm not amazing at the game, but I can hold my own pretty well after thirteen years or so and generally know what's what. It's been long since I've had anybody to campaign or dungeon dive with, so I'd welcome the company. Feel free to quote this post if anyone's interested in adventuring.

BoroMonokli

Novice
Same same, the game is still fun, even though the meta is a narrow few builds for the party, and speedclears have quite the "tuition fee". Most content is easy enough though to give plenty of wiggle room to pick non-meta choices.

dacencora

Finished Prophecies the other day. To be perfectly honest, I loved the campaign before Maguuma. Maguuma sucked quite a bit, and it was not very fun to play. Crystal Desert was almost as annoying but I started to see the fun of it again towards the end. But it feels a little disjointed overall, because the first part of the game is all about the Charr, and no matter how cool the Mursaat are, I wish the campaign had been more about the Charr.

I started Nightfall, and I like it a lot more so far, but not nearly as much as I liked the Ascalon portions of Prophecies.

Personally, I loved the Maguuma Jungle and Crystal Desert. Kryta, though, Kryta I couldn't fucking stand and still can't.

Agree entirely on the plot feeling almost like it's two separate and barely connected stories (Charr section vs everything else).

BoroMonokli

Novice
the mursaat were the good guys (in my heart). they were just written badly in latter fanfic-grade stories (EoTN, Beyond, GW2) and retconned into cartoon villains that make disney look sophisticated

BoroMonokli

Novice
Yep, the whole fortress in Abaddon's Mouth was designed to keep them IN, not something else out. It was quite the twist back in the day (That I was barely a teenager when I saw it certainly helped making it memorable)

To be perfectly honest, I loved the campaign before Maguuma.
Prophecies really loses the plot after Kryta. Back when I started out, I expected to make a triumphant return to Ascalon to take out the Charr after recruiting the Mantle, instead we basically just forgot all about our countrymen and fucked off into the jungle. Nightfall has the best story of the three and quite a satisfying conclusion.

the jungle had a very high mobs concentration, and worst of all it had roaming packs of mesmers with instant reflexes you were not suppoesd to have tools to deal with. wipe once, you might as well start over. i liked the desert (somehow i often like desert areas, don't know why), for a long while it's been the best place to look for chests. before keys were introduced. good times.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I liked the desert as well, particularly all the graphical shenanigans with the ruins. I remember there was one area where you could see a yuge statue of a warrior in the distance, but if you got closer there was only a pedestal with legs, Ozymandias style.

Codex Year of the Donut
I enjoyed early prophecies the most but it's basically an unfinished story that got hijacked halfway through
factions is ok but I don't like the rapid power ramp, don't remember the story being anything memorable, really good locations though
nightfall was a mixed bag. Technical standpoint, easily the best the game has to offer. Strongly disliked all the various gating mechanics they had, and didn't like the story very much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom