Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So is this worth getting yet for SP purposes?

Depends. Doesn't expect a amazing game like Temple of elemental evil, but is still a good TB game. Is interior in graphics and gameplay to ToEE IMHO.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Depends. Doesn't expect a amazing game like Temple of elemental evil, but is still a good TB game. Is interior in graphics and gameplay to ToEE IMHO.

I would gladly play another TOEE playthrough but I'm not sure I can have more Hommlet. And even if I skip this part with the mod, then there are the Bugbears, I think I've developped an allergy to them.

No I think I'll give Solasta a try, Crispy said "it's an honest, charming, engaging and true computer roleplaying game.".

Now I see those PC's portraits & I'm :?

Last edited:

Sunri

Liturgist
I don't think they changed anything compared to basic version, game is still bland and boring, dropped after few hours.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Lost Valley review.

This is the party he used in the video review.
ECvdAgT.jpeg

who are they ? the Village People ?

Last edited:

I would gladly play another TOEE playthrough but I'm not sure I can have more Hommlet. And even if I skip this part with the mod, then there are the Bugbears, I think I've developped an allergy to them.

No I think I'll give Solasta a try, Crispy said "it's an honest, charming, engaging and true computer roleplaying game.".

Now I see those PC's portraits & I'm :?
most of the time you are scrolled way out and it looks like a typical isometric type game (so long as you set the camera this way, which I assume most distinguished gentlemen do), and when scrolled out the 3d characters actually look totally fine for their purpose...

aside from graphics it seems like real campaigns are now showing up in the workshop- like full 30 Hour campaigns designed around old AD&D modules; so there is reason to buy and own this outside of the main campaigns that come with the game and DLC.... and more to come I assume.
I have not tried any of the fan made modules yet, but they look fairly decent, I am guessing there will be a few really good ones made, at least I hope.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Anyone is playing Lost valley campaign? No impressions in thread.
Try the DLC specific News Thread.

No impressions ther also.

Anyone, someone, playing this?
Better or worse than original campaign?

There's literally impressions all over.

Example for codexian impression by Agesilaus
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...alley-dlc-thread.138703/page-112#post-7883891

Reading reviews that say the DLC campaign doesn't live up to the original is... both crushing and hilarious. The original campaign was utter dogshit, I can't imagine a campaign that is worse.

However, so far I'm enjoying the DLC. I did feel like I could take one or two of the bug-monsters in the dungeon, but decided to go with the story and flee. I really hate exploring the jungle maps, pushing over trees etc, but whatever. The combat encounters have been interesting, and I"m looking forward to completing this prologue and having the world open up.

New subclasses are also pretty interesting, Druid makes for a good healer, rogue can fight better, and my sorcerer has a special ability to terrify all the gorillas I've been fighting.

Between the point where you flee the dungeon due to the redeemer-bugs, to the point where you meet the foundry and cave in the skulls of some dire wolves, the game is insufferably bad. Absolutely fucking hate running around the forest knocking over trees and pushing bricks, literal shit tier gameplay and a complete waste of my time. The game is its own worst enemy; the mechanics are in place and they could be put to good use, but holy fuck the sheer incompetence of campaign designers. "Let's get the player to walk around the bush for half an hour, maybe have him crawl under a bunch of logs too" fuck you dickhead, this is like walking between towns in morrowind except infinitely more painful and you will never discover anything better than random flowers that I'll probably never use in your pathetic crafting system. If not for the map function I would have quit and uninstalled the game, I would rather die from stupid beetles in the prologue dungeon than jump back and forth over rivers for an hour.

After that though, I did have fun killing wolves and birds, and talking with a giant. Now I'm at the gates of the city. Will play some more later. I do like the hoodlum subclass; the ability to dash and attack is good, and I like using heavier weapons and armour. Like a second fighter, but more maneuverable and I get to pick locks etc.

Example for outside impression
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...alley-dlc-thread.138703/page-111#post-7881787

Summary
The Lost Valley DLC doesn't add much to the game. The new subclasses are definitely its main feature, and these do add replayability, being overall well-made. However, the campaign itself is weak, even when compared to the original - lacking in both story and level design.

Good
  • Interesting subclasses, which add replayability
  • A new official campaign
Bad
  • Weak story, even compared to the original
  • Level design is not up to par with the core game

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Is it possible to use the same shield (or weapon) in 2 different wepons set ? My cleric needs a free hand to cast & I'd like to have a shield&mace set & a shield&hand (or mace&hand) as secondary set for casting. But I can't seem to use the same item for 2 diferent weapon sets! Is there a button or somethin I'm missing ?

Troglofil

Novice
How bad is the new DLC without a wizard in the party? I'm about to restart because I still haven't found anything to identify items with at level 4.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How bad is the new DLC without a wizard in the party? I'm about to restart because I still haven't found anything to identify items with at level 4.

I thought they released a patch that gave a merchant a wand of identify? I'm not sure which one though.

I haven't been able to pay again since reaching the city, hopefully can jump back in soon.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Hit a pair of quest-stopping bugs. One on 'The People' quest line where the cleric is supposed to be arrested. However, she is still where she normally is and I can't advance that any further.

Second is with 'The Mask' faction where there is supposed to be a door behind a banner to the left of the area entrance but there is no door.

Before that, I had a problem with a quest not starting properly in the swamp location, too.

Seems to be a bit buggier in general than the original release, I think it's due to faction quest triggers interfering with each other.

Parabalus

Arcane

Second merchant has it, forge quartermaster. I came there at lvl 3.

rojay

Scholar
Is it possible to use the same shield (or weapon) in 2 different wepons set ? My cleric needs a free hand to cast & I'd like to have a shield&mace set & a shield&hand (or mace&hand) as secondary set for casting. But I can't seem to use the same item for 2 diferent weapon sets! Is there a button or somethin I'm missing ?
Makes sense it would be a thing, but I don't think so.

Sunri

Liturgist

I thought they released a patch that gave a merchant a wand of identify? I'm not sure which one though.

I haven't been able to pay again since reaching the city, hopefully can jump back in soon.

You can buy it quite early, so there is no need to create a caster.

I played a few hours and early game is more or less same as original, you will push blocks and other shit for few minutes then fight some monkeys and other fillers monsters got bored quite fast I cleaned few locations and didn't expierience anything on the same level as vampire fight in original maybe campaign gets better later dialogues are horrible, and almost all quests are kill/fetch shit with some stealth/steal missions between.

Mortmal

Arcane
You definitely want someone in party able to counterspell , there's some deadly casters by the end.

Mortmal

Arcane
Try the DLC specific News Thread.

No impressions ther also.

Anyone, someone, playing this?
Better or worse than original campaign?

There's literally impressions all over.

Example for codexian impression by Agesilaus
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...alley-dlc-thread.138703/page-112#post-7883891

Reading reviews that say the DLC campaign doesn't live up to the original is... both crushing and hilarious. The original campaign was utter dogshit, I can't imagine a campaign that is worse.

However, so far I'm enjoying the DLC. I did feel like I could take one or two of the bug-monsters in the dungeon, but decided to go with the story and flee. I really hate exploring the jungle maps, pushing over trees etc, but whatever. The combat encounters have been interesting, and I"m looking forward to completing this prologue and having the world open up.

New subclasses are also pretty interesting, Druid makes for a good healer, rogue can fight better, and my sorcerer has a special ability to terrify all the gorillas I've been fighting.

Between the point where you flee the dungeon due to the redeemer-bugs, to the point where you meet the foundry and cave in the skulls of some dire wolves, the game is insufferably bad. Absolutely fucking hate running around the forest knocking over trees and pushing bricks, literal shit tier gameplay and a complete waste of my time. The game is its own worst enemy; the mechanics are in place and they could be put to good use, but holy fuck the sheer incompetence of campaign designers. "Let's get the player to walk around the bush for half an hour, maybe have him crawl under a bunch of logs too" fuck you dickhead, this is like walking between towns in morrowind except infinitely more painful and you will never discover anything better than random flowers that I'll probably never use in your pathetic crafting system. If not for the map function I would have quit and uninstalled the game, I would rather die from stupid beetles in the prologue dungeon than jump back and forth over rivers for an hour.

After that though, I did have fun killing wolves and birds, and talking with a giant. Now I'm at the gates of the city. Will play some more later. I do like the hoodlum subclass; the ability to dash and attack is good, and I like using heavier weapons and armour. Like a second fighter, but more maneuverable and I get to pick locks etc.

Example for outside impression
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...alley-dlc-thread.138703/page-111#post-7881787

Summary
The Lost Valley DLC doesn't add much to the game. The new subclasses are definitely its main feature, and these do add replayability, being overall well-made. However, the campaign itself is weak, even when compared to the original - lacking in both story and level design.

Good
  • Interesting subclasses, which add replayability
  • A new official campaign
Bad
  • Weak story, even compared to the original
  • Level design is not up to par with the core game
His impressions are incomplete and far too harsh , i just finished it and while i did not get much surprises it's like a classic indie 5e module. There's still lot of improvements from the base game , with factions and different endings according the quests you've done, doing some completely block some paths. Dont expect too much but it's not bad at all, with ending slides ala fallout. For 13 euros it's a bargain, there was quite enough content, many new monsters, new tilesets to use in the editor.I had fun at least what is there more to ask ? Really no reason to not buy if you liked solasta.
Only real weakness is its not challenging enough for a 5e veteran, there was some good encounters , a few new boss fights , but you start them all at full ressources. A 6/10 is far too harsh for this game, that's still the best D&D combat second only to KOTC2, head and shoulder above everything else released so far.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Only real weakness is its not challenging enough for a 5e veteran, there was some good encounters , a few new boss fights , but you start them all at full ressources. A 6/10 is far too harsh for this game, that's still the best D&D combat second only to KOTC2, head and shoulder above everything else released so far.

You can always rest? Are there limits on resting, as in final area of original campaign? I.e. are there areas where you are not allowed to rest or very limited to do so.

Mortmal

Arcane

You can always rest? Are there limits on resting, as in final area of original campaign? I.e. are there areas where you are not allowed to rest or very limited to do so.
No limits at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom