Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima What is the best Ultima game?

What is the best Ultima game?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Pages and pages of notes. Mapping dungeon levels. Farming Mystic Arms so you can equip a much better magic axe/magic wand for most of the game.

4 is peak nostalgia. Started with 2, the weirdest of the bunch and talk about zero hand holding.

5 or 6 is the answer, I can't decide so kingcomrade.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Shouldn't that be LordBritishComrade?

Define best? - as some have said, Ultima 7 always felt like the dawn of the modern CRPG; terrible combat but an emphasis on world building, interactions with NPCs and party members that make a lot of noise - it clearly feels like the inspiration for Baldur's Gate / Bioware games / Morrowind and other ES games. I think Ultima 7 part 2 is more refined than the Black Gate, but Black Gate has a greater nostalgic feeling and plays off the other games more.

Having said that, in retrospect, Ultima 5 probably has the best exploration and combat. And Ultima Underworld was a pretty tight game that went on to inspire the Kings Field games, Arx Fatalis and Elder Scrolls so that has to be up there too.

A sad mention to Ultima 8; it is definitely not the best Ultima game but when I play it always think there are so many elements here which I feel that with a little more time and polish this could have been up there as one of the best point and click adventure games with a bit of RPGness going around. It was probably the first time the avatar actually had proper walk animation too...although this was offset with stupid jumping.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm pleased to see that this reboot expansion of the old poll yields better results. Maybe the thrill of bread baking has faded?

Comte

Ultima Underworld 1 is the best. I played it a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Can't say the same for the rest of the main line ultima games.

Codex Year of the Donut

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I wasn't able to finish any of them
:negative:
Ultima Underworld aged really well.
If you plan on playing it, use this patch: https://github.com/JohnGlassmyer/UltimaHacks#ultima-underworld-the-stygian-abyss

To be honest, I'm yet to truly delve into dungeon crawlers. What's the best the genre has to offer?
Ultima Underworld

I'm not saying you're wrong, but let's make a seperate thread about this: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-crawler-for-someone-new-to-the-genre.142693/

ADL

Prophet
U7>UO>Underworld>4>5>6>who cares after that
Ultima 7 remains the most influential because of the first decent implementation of NPC scheduling and UO remains the best massively multiplayer online game 25 years later.
I miss it so much.
ff84CnA.png

Comte

Ultima Underworld 1 is the best. I played it a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Can't say the same for the rest of the main line ultima games.
How many Ultimas did you play?

All of them and my playing a few years ago was a revisit to the series. I played the games from 6 on when they were released.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
How many Ultimas did you play?

All of them and my playing a few years ago was a revisit to the series. I played the games from 6 on when they were released.
So you can really compare them all! I love UU1 and UO but I didn't play most of the others.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom