Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best dungeon crawler for someone new to the genre?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Lands of Lore 1 is easy to get into and easy on the eyes. Has a nice scaling difficulty to introduce you to all the kinds of crap you can expect blobbers to throw at you. Starting with the simple things like pit traps, pressure plates, arrows flying out of walls and then moving onto the harder stuff like fake walls, spinners, and of course the last part of the game where they take away your map. Plus, Patrick Steward.

EDIT: And Gayblade.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Realms of Arcania HD.

Funny enough this is my only experience with dungeon crawlers, I lost interest a few hours in.

The HD version was awful - that's the in-joke.

I presume you are wanting a first person version. If so, I think you first have to identify whether you are looking for a (1) "single character simulation" (Often real time combat) or (2) a game that presents from a first person perspective but is party creation based (and often turn based) and is mainly focussed on "dungeons".

If you are going for single character simulation, for mine:
  • Ultima Underworld 1
  • Kings Field 4 (assuming you have a PS2 or emulation)
  • Arc Fatalis
  • Might and Magic: Dark Messiah
If you are going for a game which is party based with turn based combat:
  • Wizardry 8
  • Wizards and Warriors
  • Elminage Gothic
  • Might and Magic 6
If you want step based dancing blobbers:
  • Lands of Lore 1
  • Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession
  • Legend of Grimrock 2
  • Eye of the Beholder 2
Note this is not necessarily listing out all the best that is there to offer in each sub-sub category, but just different types to try and see if you like as someone new to the genre.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Real-time blobber: Dungeon Master, which is available for free via the Return to Chaos clone for Windows. Failing that, Legend of Grimrock is an homage to Dungeon Master, and the sequel expanded on the formula.

Turn-based blobber: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplars, which features not one but two rideable giant turtles.

kA3m1cp.png

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Daggerfall, but the Unity version. You can get some really massive dungeons that are procedurally generated and may not even be able to finish to get to the final sections.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
If you're gonna try RT, might as well play Dungeon Master and the Underworlds and call it a day, the genre hasn't really achieved anything better.

TB, Legends of Amberland might be good to ease you into the style, it's very easy to pick up and play. The trade-off is that it lacks in depth of build, and is missing mechanics like traps or convoluted dungeon design.

Falksi

Arcane
Without doubt Bard's Tale 4: Directors Cut

Fantastic game, great blend of old-school & new-school elements, and setting which allow you to tailor how new or old school you want the experience overall.

Fucking top draw gaming.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Obvious, because Arx Fatalis is an unlicensed/unofficial intentional sequel to UU; with even an undocumented spell that downgrades the graphics to imitate UU.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
For 3D games? Ultima Underworld was pretty much designed for an audience who didn't know what a mouse was, so I suspect it works just as well for someone who doesn't know what this weird not really mouselook thing is. Its nowhere near the best, but most of the ones better than it throw you into a nasty situation straight away, which is just really obnoxious to deal with if you're still getting used to the controls.
For your tile-based blobbers? Dungeon Master, except in this case its also pretty much the best title in the sub-genre in general.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As an entry point I would recommend Eye of the Beholder 1 and Dungeon Master which have "aged" perfectly well, or Legend of Grimrock 1 if you really want to start with a more modern game. Make your own maps!

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
TB, Legends of Amberland might be good to ease you into the style, it's very easy to pick up and play. The trade-off is that it lacks in depth of build, and is missing mechanics like traps or convoluted dungeon design.

So it's missing one of the main reasons why grid-based dungeon crawlers are so much fun in the first place. Excellent starting point, indeed.

While LoA was moderately fun, it doesn't come anywhere near the classics. I can easily imagine someone playing LoA as his first dungeon crawler and be put off by the entire genre.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Legends of Amberland isn't a dungeon crawler. You spend probably 20-30% of your time in dungeons. It's like M&M 3-5.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Arx Fatalis.

If you want a dungeon crawler playstyle but with outside areas and and old school feel I would heartily recommend The Quest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom