Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Jupiter Hell - DoomRL successor

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/811320/view/3140695239378933498
Jupiter Hell 1.2.0 - Varia!
Exactly 5 years ago, Jupiter Hell has been funded on Kickstarter, let's celebrate that with a release, shall we?
Exactly 5 years ago, Jupiter Hell has been funded on Kickstarter, let's celebrate that with a release, shall we? Brace yourselves, as this is - once again - a lengthy post and changelog!

Jupiter Hell 1.2 "Varia"
brings a variety of changes, and changes that bring variety (see what we did there? :P). We have the player requested Mouse support (although it should be considered experimental still), a ton of new Callisto exotics, plasma SMGs (and unique SMGs!), new weapon perks, a big variety improvement of the traits (including master traits), a rework of damage type resistances (and affinities and vulnerabilities) and minor Callisto and Europa reward improvements.

It's a lot to go over so lets split our changelog into sections - raw changelog is at the end as usual!

Be sure to drop by the Jupiter Hell Discord (https://discord.gg/jupiterhell) if you have any questions - it's the best place to find help, discuss strategies, share mortems or videos of Jupiter Hell. The devs are very active there too!

== Mouse support! ==

While we still believe that
Jupiter Hell
is best played with a
keyboard or gamepad
only, we agree that an option for mouse control is great as an accessability feature, and probably also will be the prefered way to play by some people.

JH 1.2 introduces experimental Mouse support. It's experimental in the sense that we didn't have enough time testing it, so there still might be bugs, and it isn't fully integrated into the game (no mouse tooltips, no tutorial support and the only source of help is in the help menu). That said, ALL the functionality (apart from name entry) is in the game, so it can be fully played without touching the gamepad or the keyboard :P.

Enable mouse support in Settings/Input Settings by switching Mouse Support to "Active", and definitely read the Mouse and Mouse UI section in Help to get started!

Feedback on mouse control needed and very welcome!

• NEW #1174 - Mouse support (experimental)

== New gear! ==

Early game exotics

As a part of our long standing goal of early game improvement we noticed that the variety of exotic loot in Callisto is very lacking (I mean, who gets excited at the 121st 9mm calibrated to drop?). This update introduces 13 (!!) new exotic weapons that can drop in Callisto, each with a unique perk, many designed to be strong in the earlier part of the game helping to transition into mid and late game gear. 2 armors, 2 visors, and 9 weapons have been added to the loot pool, each of them dropping from at latest depth 3!

• NEW #1591 - 13 new early game exotics!

Plasma SMGs

SMG builds didn't have a late game version of their favored weapon, so we fixed that. At the same time we fixed the horrible oversight of SMGs not having Unique's to be found! Plasma SMGs come with ADV variants, and 3 new Uniques in the loot pool.

• NEW #1591 - plasma SMG added (and ADV variants)
  • NEW #1584 - 3 unique SMGs added! (early, mid and late)

New weapon perks

We took a critical look at the weapon ADV perk pool, decided to remove the unpopular and usually worthless Finisher perk, and instead introduced 6 new perks to spice up the variety of ADV weapons found.

I'll use this section to also mention that CRI rail rifles got scopes that they were missing due to an oversight, and we buffed 7.62 snipers by a bit too!

• NEW #1652 - 5 new perks for ADV weapons added
  • CHANGE #1625 - removed Finisher weapon perk, added Ambush perk
  • CHANGE #1603 - CRI rail rifle comes with a scope
  • CHANGE #1603 - 7.62 sniper damage 24 -> 25

== Trait changes! ==

Following further with the goal of improving early game, we also decided that it will be more beneficial for the game if picking early traits doesn't railroad characters into specific builds. We started those changes in 1.1, but only now can these changes truly shine.

We took a deep look at every class in the game, with the goal of improving build variety, making traits have more character and opening up interesting new builds!

Marine trait changes

With Marine we wanted to have more gameplay around the Fury mechanic, and wanted to decouple the melee only traits into something that might be useful in non-melee builds in some edge cases.

Vampyre now has a weaker effect if using non-melee weapons opening up for hybrid builds, Rip and Tear grants fury for non-melee kills and Furious grants a straight damage bonus on Adrenaline use.

Army of Darkness was in a relatively good spot, but we wanted to give it some flavor. It now gives bonus to chainsaw damage and grants zero-time melee weapon swap to open up some proper hybrid gameplay options. If you know why a chainsaw specifically, then you had a groovy childhood like we did!

Tough as Nails needed some love and gets a pain penalty removal functionality - without removing the pain status, so Adrenaline still works fully! Field Medic additionally grants faster medkit/stim use.

• CHANGE #1602 - Vampyre works with non-melee weapons (but weaker)
  • CHANGE #1627 - Rip and Tear grants Fury for non-melee kills also
  • CHANGE #1627 - Furious loses fury generation on gibbing
  • CHANGE #1627 - Furious grants damage bonus when using Adrenaline
  • CHANGE #1627 - Marine Skilled increases Tenacity heal by 10%/lvl
  • CHANGE #1602 - Army of Darkness gains zero melee weapon swap time
  • CHANGE #1602 - Army of Darkness gains chainsaw damage bonus
  • CHANGE #1603 - TaN L2 provides -50% pain penalty, L3 removes it
  • CHANGE #1603 - Field Medic L2+ adds small medkit/stim use time bonus
  • CHANGE #1603 - Field Medic requires only one level of Ironman

Scout trait changes

Scout needed mostly a specific buff to the Assassinate master, and especially the hybrid Swashbuckler/Assassinate build. The former, while owning easier difficulties was definitely too dangerous for higher challenges, so we rebuild it with a charge mechanic that prevents it from going off the rails on Easy, but added crit chance bonuses and auto-hit so it can shine even in higher difficulties.

Swashbuckler has been straight up buffed with the damage bonus now slowly degrading instead of being removed after using the other weapon group. Fairly casual gameplay with swapping between guns and melee will now fairly steadily maintain a +50% damage bonus.

Speaking of melee, Gunrunner now works with melee, adding a third pure melee master option after Assassinate and Ghost builds, and even more opening up Scout to hybrid gameplay!

Skilled has been buffed to provide an additional benefit of increasing energy, while Eagle Eye at level 3 now halves enemy cover. Speaking of Eagle Eye, Whizkid, Ghost and Gunrunner no longer require it, not to penalize pure melee builds.

• CHANGE #1603 - Assassinate uses charges mechanic
  • CHANGE #1603 - Assassinate always hits, +50/100 crit chance at L1/L2
  • CHANGE #1603 - Swashbuckler bonus now degrades instead of removed
  • CHANGE #1603 - Gunrunner works with melee
  • CHANGE #1603 - Scout Skilled L1 and L3 increase Energy by 10
  • CHANGE #1603 - Eagle Eye L3 halves enemy cover
  • CHANGE #1603 - Whizkid and Ghost require Hacking L1 instead of EE L1
  • CHANGE #1603 - Gunrunner requires Son of a Gun L1 instead of EE L1

Technician trait changes

With Tech we really wanted to make him more unique by digging into status effects (which got big changes, see below) and grenades.

Fireangel has it's namesake effect kick in from Level 1, and gives a bonus to ALL burning damage that you deal. Find a suitable relic or a nice Molten weapon? You'll be much more effective with it than a regular marine ;).

Similarly Toxicologist got a blanket toxin damage buff at L1, and does smoke nade conversion at L2. This ties directly to the next buff, Grenadier L1 and L2 give a grenade damage boost (and they now crit if you have skills or items that increase general crit chance!).

• CHANGE #1603 - Fireangel sets things on fire since L1
  • CHANGE #1587 - Fireangel L2/L3 grants +50%/+100% to ALL Burning
  • CHANGE #1587 - Toxicologist L2 - smoke nades, L3 +50% ALL toxin procs
  • CHANGE #1637 - Grenadier L1/L2 - +25%/+50% nade damage, no gib bonus
  • FIX #1636 - grenades can now crit and use other character buffs
  • FIX #1602 - Sharpshooter didn't increase auto/semi max range

Other trait changes

We cleaned up the trait descriptions to a pleasing universal format, and did two changes to the more general traits.

While Ironman health bonus has been nerfed from +20% to +10% (giving an option for the health stations to shine more) this is because it also grants the important bleed resistance, giving it a wider desirability.

Son of a Gun got a buff back to it's roots - while it stays weapon agnostic (did you know it works with melee and 'nades?), ADDITIONALLY it adds pistol/revolver range bonuses, to strengthen the early game of those pistol builds that we love. Gun Kata is once again, a bloodbath without incident :P

• CHANGE #1603 - Ironman adds only +10% HP, but also bleed resistance
  • CHANGE #1628 - Son of a Gun adds pistol only range bonuses
  • CHANGE #1627 - trait descriptions cleanup

== Other changes! ==

Damage types and status effects

In spirit of enabling more fun synergies and combinations we decided to do a deeper dive into damage types and status effects. Apart from resistances now the game has negative resistances (vulnerability) and affinities (bonus to all damage done with a damage type/status).

We added vulnerabilities to many relics (instead of the boring damage debuff) for more interesting gameplay and also status affinities to several ones too (and some traits as you might have read already above).

There are also more interesting interactions between damage types - for example burning damage now cauterizes bleeding effect.

More useful though is that bleeding prevents regeneration effects. This is only a slight problem for the player (if using a regeneration relic, Heart buff or Survivor), but is very useful against some enemies - regenerating exalted or enemies under the warlock aura! Speaking of which we removed the bleed resistance from Warlocks and enemies under their aura to emphasize and encourage this counterplay. Oh, and frag grenades now cause bleeding - finally having a use late-game and providing a cheap source of bleed at the same time!

EMP had only limited (but powerful) use - now however it will also affect semi-mechanical enemies (think which demons have grafted metal/armor) damaging them partially and slowing them down (but never disabling). To make things interesting, the boss stages 1 and 2 are now considered semi-mechanical too.

Having access to the vulnerability mechanic, we could not resist making some enemies vulnerable, and hence fire fiends have cold vulnerability, while ice fiends, cyroberi and cryoreavers - fire vulnerability.

• CHANGE #1631 - several minor relics grant status effect buffs
  • CHANGE #1631 - minor fire/ice relics -100% resist instead of -damage
  • CHANGE #1633 - bleeding now prevents regeneration
  • CHANGE #1633 - Burning damage cauterizes Bleeding
  • CHANGE #1633 - frag grenades cause bleeding
  • CHANGE #1633 - Warlock aura no longer grants +50% bleed resistance
  • CHANGE #1633 - Warlocks no longer have bleed resistance (Archs 50%)
  • CHANGE #1587 - resistances are displayed uncapped
  • CHANGE #1587 - fire fiends have cold vulnerability
  • CHANGE #1587 - ice fiends, cryoberi and cryoreavers- fire vulnerab.
  • CHANGE #1587 - bots now have only 50% fire resistance
  • CHANGE #1630 - semi-mechanicals can be harmed with emp damage (50%)
  • CHANGE #1630 - boss stage 1 and 2 is semi-mechanical
  • CHANGE #1587 - emp and toxin resistances displayed on bots and bio
  • CHANGE #1587 - slash/impact/pierce resistances (with display)
  • FIX #1611 - Acid status shows damage amount
  • FIX #1587 - fixed some edge cases with wrong damage value display

Level generation changes

Preparing for the big Callisto changes coming in the next update (1.3) we decided to make the current special levels a bit more visit-worthy - Anomaly, Rift and Barracks rewards have been improved.

We also noticed that Europa Ruins and Shadow Halls duo had a way lower amount of chests than intended - this has been significantlt improved. Frozen Temple is easier to open on Nightmare+, while Cathedral has a small added secret interaction - no hints are provided :P

• CHANGE #1642 - improved Anomaly, Rift and Military Barracks rewards
  • CHANGE #1643 - Europa Ruins/Shadow Halls have a guaranteed box count
  • CHANGE #1643 - on N!+ Frozen Temple also opens after 125% kills
  • CHANGE #1578 - new small Cathedral secret added
  • FIX #1617 - CalSec shutdown will properly disable Rift enemies

== Bugfixes! ==

And finally there' the usual splatter of bugfixes!

Gameplay bugfixes

• FIX #1636 - fixed chainfire weapons that didn't stop when dead
  • FIX #1587 - Firecrown properly awards experience on kills
  • FIX #1618 - Journal entries will not archive entering minilevels
  • FIX #1625 - TAINTED properly shows up in enemy view
  • FIX #1639 - zero-time action will always be queued next
  • FIX #1638 - fixed status update on zero-time weapon swaps
  • FIX #1611 - stage 1 of the boss properly has size 1 melee-wise
  • FIX #1611 - boss conversion will not misplace player visually
  • FIX #1654 - fixed manufacture hint about perks for stock items
  • FIX #1641 - weapons with 100+ mag will display correctly

Engine bugfixes

• FIX #1644 - proper stretch of low-health overlay on widescreen
  • FIX #1644 - fixed low-health overlay on some systems
  • FIX #1619 - opt outline will no longer disappear on fullbody FX
  • FIX #1653 - fixed Discord activity always showing "MED" diff

== What's next! ==

Jupier Hell 1.3, currently codenamed "Valhalla", will be out between February/March, and will feature an overhaul to the Callisto zone, including several additions that will make the first half hour of a run more interesting and prettier! It will be either accompanied or preceded by a language update, bringing German, Russian, and Polish translations to Jupiter Hell.

As this is the last mainline release of 2021 we wanted to wish you Happy Holidays and an excellent New Year! We're sure to do our part so that Jupiter Hell can still deliver new experiences and joy throughout 2022 :D

Kaivokz

Arcane
Been playing this a bit—my third run (playing on hard) going as a technician wizard. Hack robots and summon sentries, using a rocket launcher and plasma rifle from behind them. I think I was level 18 or 19. Unfortunately got hit by 12 poison from a fiend in the mephitic mines and had no medpacks, so it took me from 100 to 0…

Lesson learned, poison is nasty.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Still can't get a win on Medium, despite playing this game on and off for quite a while.

:negative:

...well, maybe THIS time it'll go better.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Still can't get a win on Medium, despite playing this game on and off for quite a while.

:negative:

...well, maybe THIS time it'll go better.
Some tips:
Space bar (or interact key) closes doors.
Fiends operate on scent (don’t need LoS to detect or follow you).
Humans operate on sight (won’t follow until they see you).
You can use both of the above to lure enemies into favorable position for yourself.
Dodge + melee block can only go up to 90%, and melee block only works within a certain tile range (3 or 4, I forget) but can be extended with mods or talents.
Many weapon and mod drops/loot are based on your most used weapon type (can view this in your profile), so if you’re going for a certain build keep this in mind.

Is there a particular way you tend to lose a run?

Optimist

Savant
Patron
Space bar (or interact key) closes doors.

Is there a particular way you tend to lose a run?

Oh, hey, didn't know that.

I'm usually dying to being nickle-and-dimed off my health on the lower levels od Io/ start of Beyond, after which I usually have a fatal run-in with a group of enemies or am hit with a stack of bleed/burn/poison. I do feel like I have problems with managing my inventory, as I try to split it between three types of ammo, health, keycards, and various utilities.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Bleed/burn/poison are nasty. I almost always go with a meshed mod (immune to bleeding) if I’m not playing marine. The technician can also gain immunity to poison with toxicologist (+ meshed is immunity to 2/3 of dots). Small medkits clear damage over time effects, so it can be better to hold three small kits than a large to clear more stacks.

One way to manage your inventory is to play melee ;) technician and marine are easier to play in melee than scout. I don’t usually hold keycards unless I’m planning to go to one of the two vaults or the callisto docking bay; otherwise I don’t find it worth an inventory slot over more health, mods or ammo.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Poison starts being enough of a problem starting on Io (TOXIC REAVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS) that I always beeline for the ENV set whenever it spawns.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Toxic reavers are nasty for sure but i finished several games on hard without any special poison protection. It certainly helps but i don't consider it the first priority. On higher difficulty, i don't know, it's possible. I'm still in the "I can beat hard but not in all games" stage.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
Finally beat it.

I wanted to try Marine w/ Bulletstorm, speccing in automatics, but picked up Love (artifact revolver regenerating health with each hit) sometime at the beginning of Europa, and ended up using it all the way until the end. The boss battle was rather anticlimatic - I had 6 points of unbreakable armor + 3 levels of Tough As Nails + Archreaver's Carapace (+2 armor, acid resist, slows movement). Other than changing the pillar behind which I hid a few times, I mostly plinked the boss to death standing still without using any of my medpacks. The revolver was a beast, with 2 bullets fired with each trigger pull (Bulletstorm), +20% raw damage from a mod, and +50% crit chance from the pistol perk, it melted anything coming my way, while keeping me at full health most of the time.

20220217220529_1.jpg

May have gotten lucky with the drops, but I'll take it. Now let's try something speccing in melee...

Salvo

Arcane
Finally beat it.

I wanted to try Marine w/ Bulletstorm, speccing in automatics, but picked up Love (artifact revolver regenerating health with each hit) sometime at the beginning of Europa, and ended up using it all the way until the end. The boss battle was rather anticlimatic - I had 6 points of unbreakable armor + 3 levels of Tough As Nails + Archreaver's Carapace (+2 armor, acid resist, slows movement). Other than changing the pillar behind which I hid a few times, I mostly plinked the boss to death standing still without using any of my medpacks. The revolver was a beast, with 2 bullets fired with each trigger pull (Bulletstorm), +20% raw damage from a mod, and +50% crit chance from the pistol perk, it melted anything coming my way, while keeping me at full health most of the time.

View attachment 22890

May have gotten lucky with the drops, but I'll take it. Now let's try something speccing in melee...

Melee Ghost Scout is obnoxiously strong once it gets going

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've just started my first playthrough in a year or something and boy, many things sure have changed here, and I'm only past Callisto.

Infinitum

Scholar
New laptop, played through a bit over the last couple of weeks. Kind of like it, although it's essentially DRL 1.1 (albeit with a lot of features DRL should have, eg a proper map generator instead of endless rectangles). Still feels more like a modern cover shooter than a proper doomclone though which is a shame. Managed a hard win with all classes, will maybe take it for another spin if I complete UV but for some godforsaken reason need to play through an angel game for that to happen first. Blagh.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've just started my first playthrough in a year or something and boy, many things sure have changed here, and I'm only past Callisto.
Like what

More of everything. Enemy types (I've never seen zombie grenadiers, much less in Callisto), guns (like grenade launchers, but also special generic guns like 'ValSec weapons' that do +dmg vs bots), gear (health regen packs that give immunity to pain/bleed for a while, enviropacks that block all status effects). Also some changed perks (Eagle Eye 3 now reduces enemy cover so it's actually worth taking) and levels (including a significantly changed Valhalla Spaceport).

I'm also p. sure it got harder or I'm just really rusty, because yesterday when trying to go for a scout sniper I couldn't get further than Callisto level 4 on like 5 consecutive playthroughs.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Completed it on Normal. Great game, it took a while to get used to different character builds but I finally settled on Marine specced into Onslaught, which was a lot of fun. I didn't get a lot of mileage out of Fury/Adrenaline, so I'm wondering if anyone else here managed to play with perks that directly affected the two.

lZT3iqG.jpg

I breezed through most of the levels until Io/Dante, when ammo scarcity was a bitch without Army Surplus. I had to do most of Dark Cathedral with pure melee as I ran out of 7.62mm and cells. That was some insane fighting. Had to beat the fuck out of reapers and ravagers with a katana.

Then in Dante's Inferno, my armour got shredded (as in, 0 armour) and I was surrounded by warlocks and medusas. Absolute insanity, thankfully I had 2 full stacks of small medkits and a full stack of stimpacks and combat boosters.

Final boss was a pushover though as I found an exosuit. That was a great help.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Completed it on Normal. Great game, it took a while to get used to different character builds but I finally settled on Marine specced into Onslaught, which was a lot of fun. I didn't get a lot of mileage out of Fury/Adrenaline, so I'm wondering if anyone else here managed to play with perks that directly affected the two.

lZT3iqG.jpg

I breezed through most of the levels until Io/Dante, when ammo scarcity was a bitch without Army Surplus. I had to do most of Dark Cathedral with pure melee as I ran out of 7.62mm and cells. That was some insane fighting. Had to beat the fuck out of reapers and ravagers with a katana.

Then in Dante's Inferno, my armour got shredded (as in, 0 armour) and I was surrounded by warlocks and medusas. Absolute insanity, thankfully I had 2 full stacks of small medkits and a full stack of stimpacks and combat boosters.

Final boss was a pushover though as I found an exosuit. That was a great help.
Congratulation. Time for hard (as it was called originally "hurt me plenty").

My first victory in JH was on normal with an onslaught marine as well. Onslaught is very good if you can find a way to reload the gun as part of move action. Max dodge + movement speed, add some crit chance and everything dies with very few hits taken by you. Hard i've only done with the Scout - iirc with a double pistol build (don't remember the skill name now) which was even better than onslaught.

About fury/adrenaline i have the same opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom