Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Iron Oath - turn-based strategy RPG with awesome pixel art

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
lol.. do they think they're Hollywood?
There's no reason to include woke shit if you're indie, you have no gigantic investors who might demand wokeness and it's not like ESG score is important for a small developer. So they're just mimicing Hollywood or big AAA gaming studios (UBI-soft etc) and not even profiting of it in any way, they're just alienating potential buyers.

Or God Forbid they believe in it.

Salvo

Arcane
lol.. do they think they're Hollywood?
There's no reason to include woke shit if you're indie, you have no gigantic investors who might demand wokeness and it's not like ESG score is important for a small developer. So they're just mimicing Hollywood or big AAA gaming studios (UBI-soft etc) and not even profiting of it in any way, they're just alienating potential buyers.

Or God Forbid they believe in it.
Prime example of brainwashing

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
4iMcfA3.jpg
Out on GOG. Sadly I'm already late for work
time.png

Tigranes

Arcane
Always good to see Modern Codex bringing you detailed gameplay insights and C&C snobbery about a turn-based game instead of stupid shit nobody cares about that I can read anywhere else- oh wait

Installed my KS copy, hopefully I have a chance to try it soon. Just fired it up for 5 minutes:

*Tutorial battle shows what you'd expect from the videos. Compared to BB it's more zoomed in (so I'd expect smaller maps overall), HP is bloated (500hp), you walk-and-act as per the nu-XCOM era.
*Plenty of area manipulation abilities from the starting party, like knocking a man back into a hole or hitting 2 in a row, so there's a clear focus on setting all that up in smaller maps.
*Dungeon navigation along square tiles that you can scout ahead with mini events - I imagine plenty of skill checks. Always good.
*Writing seems passable. Pixel art generally seems OK but not great.
*Seems to run fine.
*Speaking of settings, there is Combat Speed Slider up to 250% (but might be bugged atm), and you can set custom difficulty settings including xp rate, injury rate, salary / reputation earn rate.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://af.gog.com/game/the_iron_oath?as=1649904300

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/699330/view/5444297870592468630

The Iron Oath is out now!
The Iron Oath is now available in Early Access!

6f2ae8f5be23164114664023a51caefe5eca79c0.png

Hello mercenaries!

We are thrilled to announce that The Iron Oath is now available in Early Access!

The harsh lands of Caelum await you and your company. We're so excited for you all to enter the world we've spent so many years crafting. But this is just the beginning, and there is much more to come.

Roadmap

We're planning our first major update to arrive this Spring. Check our roadmap below to see what else is on the horizon. We'll also be taking a deep dive later this week into each update, giving you a better idea of what to expect from them.

b0026384a4c6f53593003e3b636e888b7d3c2eab.png

We want to thank you for being such an incredibly supportive community over the years. We've come a long way since our Kickstarter campaign, and we appreciate every single one of you who joined along the way. You've given us so much valuable feedback that has already helped shape the game for the better. We look forward to continuing that relationship as we progress through Early Access.

After you've spent some time in the world of Caelum, we would appreciate you leaving a Steam review and sharing your thoughts on the game. Your feedback is important to us!

Your troops await your orders.

mkultra

Augur
They're just alienating potential buyers.
Ah yes, the coveted "conservative snowflake" market, who never posted before except to complain about their politics, the only market that matters.

You're a few loud angry little activist cunts, so yes it matters because you're not the MAIN market, you're an immensely tiny portion of it. Normal people don't want games politicized, it's not just "yOu CoNseRvAtives!"

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Every peasant and his mother are throwing fireballs and summoning earthquakes and lightning and shit. It's not high fantasy, it's super, super high fantasy. At some point it becomes retarded, when you enter a fight with a fat innkeeper, and he opens a volcano from underneath you. You would think if every single fucker has these cataclysmic abilities, why would they need mercenaries in the first place, or professional armies with sword and bow.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So if I buy it and I have the proper save files, can I skip over the really long intro section?

I'm really dreading having to buttonmash through that dialogue again.

agris

Arcane
Patron
So if I buy it and I have the proper save files, can I skip over the really long intro section?

There's an option to skip the intro tutorial when you create a new game, not sure if that encompasses everything you're talking about but FYI.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

There's an option to skip the intro tutorial when you create a new game, not sure if that encompasses everything you're talking about but FYI.

I remember there was the tutorial dungeon, some story, and then a very railroaded first contract/mission (which leads right back into a dungeon). Hopefully they removed the first contract and made it so that player can actually explore the world, picking their own missions.

I remember tutorial+first mission being like two hours (?) on a higher difficulty, with 99% of it being combat and dialogue. Rather hilariously, the second dungeon generated mostly straight corridors with no decision-making needed, making it completely pointless.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're not the main market - I am!
Oh, you're the voice of your generation? I was wondering who it was. I'll be sure to join your millions of Twitter followers. What's the name again? Who are you?

Normal people
Jesus fucking christ. Look at yourself. Is this what "normal people" do? Scour video game websites for keyword "pronoun" and pick fights?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So I'm glad to report that there's new content!

Finally got to the open world content after three back-to-back dungeons, two setpiece fights and like 10 pages of dialogue. Seems promising, but the game is front loaded with boring story content. I'm so fatigued from fighting the same 7 demons in a dungeon I really have no motivation to fight more demons through contracts.

It's like someone took a look at Battle Brothers and said, wouldn't it be great if the first five hours of every campaign was just the same set of linear missions?

Last edited:

Salvo

Arcane
You're not the main market - I am!
Oh, you're the voice of your generation? I was wondering who it was. I'll be sure to join your millions of Twitter followers. What's the name again? Who are you?

Normal people
Jesus fucking christ. Look at yourself. Is this what "normal people" do? Scour video game websites for keyword "pronoun" and pick fights?
"Just ignore it and it will go away dude"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom