Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel's Avengers by Crystal Dynamics with Eidos Montreal

All the more reason to bring up Old Man Logan then, as it's loosely what the movie Logan is based on. I just find it funny the comic they're name dropping is Old Man Hawkeye, which I'd guess even some comic book fans don't even know is a thing; whereas Old Man Logan (which it really seems like they're playing on with this DLC) is one of the bigger comics Marvel has done in the past 20 years.

Looking at the Old Man Hawkeye comic it seems to be post-apocalyptic Kill Bill set in the Old Man Logan setting. It's not anywhere near as fun as that may sound, but it's not bad, but it's also very different seeming from what it looks like they're doing in the DLC.

I didn't finish my thought properly, but I meant to say that by referencing Logan/Wolverine so directly, communities would then overhype themselves to the moon and back because "WOLVERINE CONFIRMED PLAYABLE CHARACTER". Companies are aware of this and often times use it in their marketing, have a launch similar to Marvel's Avengers (or No Man's Sky, or anything Peter Molyneux made) and suddenly realize they need to shut the fuck up before they destroy their own reputation further.

Unless Crystal Dynamics is in a position to release Wolverine within the year, they have to know that mentioning Old Man Logan or anything of the sort would be a death sentence.

They did pick a Old Man Hawkeye cover that does have Old Man Logan on it. It's not the same as saying it's based on Old Man Logan specifically, but they're already invoking Old Man Logan with what they're using and have shown. If it does have Old Man Logan as a surprise, (he shows up in Old Man Hawkeye too) it's really going to seem stupid they didn't just say that comic instead.

Alphons

Cipher
Last edited by a moderator:

ADL

Prophet
I've been playing this a bit ahead of the Black Panther expansion next week (got it for free by being a Verizon customer) and I've discovered the combat is actually really fun and there's a high skill ceiling for combos that feel really good... If you level up your characters which isn't a problem on PC if you use a save editor since your files are locally stored. Unfortunate casualty of a unnecessary gear and skill unlock system ruining an otherwise pretty decent beat-em-up game.

Here's some Black Panther gameplay btw

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet

Imagine being thrown under the bus like this after being given the directive to make a Destiny clone with Marvel's IP. Wonder what they're gonna say about Guardians of the Galaxy flopping under Eidos Montreal. Give us the final Jensen game you fucks.

It boggles the mind that Square Enix still exists. I can't think of a single other corporate entity that has so badly mismanaged their portfolio and still stayed solvent. Is Final Fantasy just so popular that they can repeatedly drive every other one of their franchises and subsidiaries into the ground?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It boggles the mind that Square Enix still exists. I can't think of a single other corporate entity that has so badly mismanaged their portfolio and still stayed solvent. Is Final Fantasy just so popular that they can repeatedly drive every other one of their franchises and subsidiaries into the ground?

Dragon Quest series is also a major source of income.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

apparently they're also making loads of cash from their mobile games

The Games for Smart Devices/PC Browser sub-segment saw net sales rise in comparison to the previous fiscal year, not only because of solid performances from existing titles such as “DRAGON QUEST WALK” and “WAR OF THE VISIONS: FINAL FANTASY BRAVE EXVIUS,” but also because of earnings contributions from “DRAGON QUEST TACT,” “OCTOPATH TRAVELER: Tairiku no Hasha,” and “NieR Re[in]carnation,” all of which were launched in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2021.
(from https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/21q4earnings.pdf)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

apparently they're also making loads of cash from their mobile games

The Games for Smart Devices/PC Browser sub-segment saw net sales rise in comparison to the previous fiscal year, not only because of solid performances from existing titles such as “DRAGON QUEST WALK” and “WAR OF THE VISIONS: FINAL FANTASY BRAVE EXVIUS,” but also because of earnings contributions from “DRAGON QUEST TACT,” “OCTOPATH TRAVELER: Tairiku no Hasha,” and “NieR Re[in]carnation,” all of which were launched in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2021.
(from https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/21q4earnings.pdf)

Yeah. Their merchandising segment also does respectable work.

Their amusement segment (licensing out their IPs to create attractions at theme parks and shopping/entertainment centers, etc) is tanking due to covid, but they are making their own Square Enix theme park.

Forgot about Kingdom Hearts, it is also pretty respectable.

Basically only their Western-directed brands are mediocre.

Imagine being thrown under the bus like this after being given the directive to make a Destiny clone with Marvel's IP. Wonder what they're gonna say about Guardians of the Galaxy flopping under Eidos Montreal. Give us the final Jensen game you fucks.

They shit the bed so fucking hard they're lucky it took this long from something bad to be said of it. This game is one of the more mind-boggling fuck ups of the last ten years, and there's be some pretty spectacular fuck ups (especially in the realm of online gaming) these past ten years.

Reading people's comments on that tweet is pretty funny. They're almost all some flavor of: Actually, it's Square Enix's fault the game sucks because they didn't let them make a single player game. No, if it was a single player it'd just be a shitty single player game because the gameplay in that shit fucking sucks.

If Square Enix can make more Avengers games it'd be interesting to see one of their Japanese studios do it, or maybe even tri-Ace. Like I'd be more interested in seeing Square Enix Creative Business Unit 3 do it, especially since they've brought in a combat design from Devil May Cry and Dragon's Dogma than ever seeing Crystal Dynamics try their hand again.

toughasnails

They shit the bed so fucking hard they're lucky it took this long from something bad to be said of it. This game is one of the more mind-boggling fuck ups of the last ten years, and there's be some pretty spectacular fuck ups (especially in the realm of online gaming) these past ten years.

Reading people's comments on that tweet is pretty funny. They're almost all some flavor of: Actually, it's Square Enix's fault the game sucks because they didn't let them make a single player game. No, if it was a single player it'd just be a shitty single player game because the gameplay in that shit fucking sucks.

If Square Enix can make more Avengers games it'd be interesting to see one of their Japanese studios do it, or maybe even tri-Ace. Like I'd be more interested in seeing Square Enix Creative Business Unit 3 do it, especially since they've brought in a combat design from Devil May Cry and Dragon's Dogma than ever seeing Crystal Dynamics try their hand again.

Platinum would be a nice fit and they worked with Square Enix already, I imagine they would have made a great over the top action game out of either Avengers or Guardians of Galaxy.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If Square Enix can make more Avengers games it'd be interesting to see one of their Japanese studios do it, or maybe even tri-Ace.

tri-Ace? You think rigging it up to Valkrie Profile or Star Ocean mechanics would be an improvement?
Like the Avengers game may not have been great, but you can't be serious. Fuck tri-Ace.

Codex Year of the Donut
Nu-Deus Ex died for this.

:negative:
AFAIK, Eidos only did minor work on this. I don't know why they list Eidos as a developer on Steam, perhaps to try to piggyback off their name recognition? Dragged them through the mud with it.
Arguably correct for the other Marvel game, but it was also well received(even by the codexers who played it.)

They probably only listed them because at one point in development there was a little more talking about Eidos being on this than at the end. It went from sounding like Eidos was a co-developer, to being hard to find info about them even working on it. Maybe at one time the Guardians of the Galaxy game was part of this Avengers game or something? I could definitely see the Guardians of the Galaxy starting as DLC and then being spun off into its own game as they developed it and reaction to this game become more negative.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom