Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Lord of the Rings Online - Corsairs of Umbar expansion out now

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
I started playing this two months ago. Got a hunter to level 30. Joined a kin (guild), which I haven't done in an MMO before. Now I made another character (again hunter *sigh*) on the treebeard legendary server for increased difficulty and slower pace.The enviroments and music in this game are absolutely superb. The UI is atrocious, though.

The game has an "instance finder" which noone ever uses. People still do LFG in chat which is cool.
Can't believe I missed this game before. Well better late than never.

Stopped my FF14 subscription.

Can't stop playing this. Help!

Oh, you can FILTER SOUNDS in this game, lol.

curds

Magister
I started playing this two months ago. Got a hunter to level 30. Joined a kin (guild), which I haven't done in an MMO before. Now I made another character (again hunter *sigh*) on the treebeard legendary server for increased difficulty and slower pace.The enviroments and music in this game are absolutely superb. The UI is atrocious, though.

The game has an "instance finder" which noone ever uses. People still do LFG in chat which is cool.

What server is your main on? In my opinion Laurelin has the best community and atmosphere.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
What server is your main on? In my opinion Laurelin has the best community and atmosphere.

On Belegaer. German RP Server. Not into RPing much, but I heard that people would behave more "in character". In FF14 I found it annoying when you interacted with a quest-giver or vendor and then 5 guys with their chocobo pets would show up and your character suddenly stood in chicken arse.

I used to play on Landroval. It was an RP server, but you didn't have to participate obviously. I didn't notice much difference in the way people played. There were RPers around, you'd often bump into them at playing instruments at the Prancing Pony in Bree, but overall, I'd say the lion's share of people were either doing it via voip or else just playing the game regularly. There was a time where I was tooling around in the player housing zone near Bree looking for decoration ideas and walked into someone's house where I was met with two dwarves doing pushups... I left swiftly.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I played on Laurelin years ago before all the f2p stuff came in. It was lovely, lots of ppl wandering around and most of them would engage IC if you did, little impromptu groups would form quite often.

ADL

Prophet
Holy shit. Yeah go login. Even if you redeemed the code a couple months ago. That's a ton of cosmetics and expansions being given away.
WHOcGGg.png

https://www.lotro.com/news/lotro-15th-anniversary

Permanently Free for everyone:
  • High Elf Race
  • Classes:
    • Rune-keeper
    • Warden
    • Beorning
  • ALL Quests, Instances, areas, and expansions released between April of 2007 and the release of Helm's Deep. Quest, craft, and explore your way to level 95! Includes:
    • Expansion Quests: Helm's Deep
    • Expansion Quests: Isengard
    • Expansion Quests: Mirkwood
    • Expansion Quests: Moria
    • Expansion Quests: Rohan
    • Instance Cluster: Isengard
    • Instance Cluster: Rohan
    • Instance: Halls of Night
    • Instance: Inn of the Forsaken
    • Quest Pack: Eriador Bundle
    • Quest Pack: Angmar
    • Quest Pack: Enedwaith
    • Quest Pack: Eregion
    • Quest Pack: Evendim
    • Quest Pack: Forochel
    • Quest Pack: Great River
    • Quest Pack: Lothlorien
    • Quest Pack: Misty Mountains
    • Quest Pack: North Downs
    • Quest Pack: Trollshaws
    • Quest Pack: Wildermore
    • Raid: Draigoch's Lair
    • Skirmish: Attack At Dawn
    • Skirmish: Defence of the Prancing Pony
    • Skirmish: Ford of Bruinen
    • Skirmish: Stand at Amon Sul
    • Skirmish: Storm on Methedras
    • Skirmish: Survival: Barrow-downs
    • Skirmish: The Icy Crevasse
    • Skirmish: Thievery and Mischief
    • NOTE: Eriador Bundle includes Quest Pack: Angmar, Quest Pack: Enedwaith, Quest Pack: Eregion, Quest Pack: Evendim, Quest Pack: Forochel, Quest Pack: Misty Mountains, Quest Pack: North Downs, and Quest Pack: Trollshaws.

deama

Prophet
Man I really wanna play this, but I just don't like the gameplay all that much...

I might try again, maybe the Beorning class is more interesting.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That's insane. So with this 15th anniversary gift and changes made to F2P everyone will essentially only be missing the very last expansion?

ADL

Prophet
Man I really wanna play this, but I just don't like the gameplay all that much...

I might try again, maybe the Beorning class is more interesting.
Assuming they're not lying to investors about the game getting graphical overhauls and being ported to consoles, I'd imagine we're getting new gameplay systems in the not-too-distant-future. I'd collect the free stuff just in case because there's no way this would play well on consoles as-is.

Kinda looks like the game's borked, launcher throws up an error and won't patch to update 33. Error sounds like it isn't able to talk to their update servers so I assume the problem's on their end and it'll get fixed, but all those goodies are gonna have me taking another look. The carryall for logging in might even get me to try crafting, and if those collector's editions of the expansions work like it appears they will (Which is to say, the expansions and all the goodies from a collector's edition) everyone will get a large carryall from War of the Three Peaks so both carryalls should help alleviate inventory woes a lot. And Minas Morgul collector's edition should give everyone another character slot and unlock the alternate dorfs. And Mordor adds another character slot. And I think some of them add level boosts if you feel like instantly powering up alts.

Still don't know that I'll stick to LotRO all that long but that is pretty good.

ADL

Prophet
Just realized, since you're getting those expansions as collector's editions you're getting a level 120 boost and a shitload of cosmetics in addition to a gift of the valar (level 50 boost).
Kinda looks like the game's borked, launcher throws up an error and won't patch to update 33. Error sounds like it isn't able to talk to their update servers so I assume the problem's on their end and it'll get fixed, but all those goodies are gonna have me taking another look. The carryall for logging in might even get me to try crafting, and if those collector's editions of the expansions work like it appears they will (Which is to say, the expansions and all the goodies from a collector's edition) everyone will get a large carryall from War of the Three Peaks so both carryalls should help alleviate inventory woes a lot. And Minas Morgul collector's edition should give everyone another character slot and unlock the alternate dorfs. And Mordor adds another character slot. And I think some of them add level boosts if you feel like instantly powering up alts.

Still don't know that I'll stick to LotRO all that long but that is pretty good.
My friend who no-lifes this game sent me this today. Probably related.
alright itll be good if they fix it but this is hilarious
all runekeepers who logged into the patch had their satchels (key item) deleted, permanently missing upon logging into the 15th anniversary today

servers down for 5 hours now with no estimate on when they'll be up
the sole explanation we can all assume
is an update with not just the 15th anniversary, but bug fixes and a new zone was never playtested with a single person logging into an RK at ssg
or if they did test the patch and class balances even a single time
the dev did not notice his damage reduction
from his legendary class item being deleted
or different cast lengths, inductions, etc
they really just dont have anyone doing QA lol
but what a bummer, hopefully its fixed in the next couple hours and people can play it when they get off work
definitely the best anniversary so far, even though they did kind of just give away things as incentives to save the population and haven't added a new mini-game or instance to most festivals in years

We are continuing to work to get the worlds reopened, but we expect the process to continue to take several hours. We expect to have an update tonight as to a more specific ETA. https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8134351#post8134351

Last edited:
My friend who no-lifes this game sent me this today. Probably related.
Ah, yeah. That'd probably be it. Kind of a shame it fucks their big 15th anniversary thing but once everything IS rolling that should be a huge pile of goodies for everyone. Shame the carryalls will be singular items that you have to pass to alts, doesn't sound like it'll drop extras on any alts you log in with, but such is life. I assume the large carryall should go for task items and the small for crafting items. Both seem to produce the most clutter but my limited LotRO experience points toward task items taking up the MOST space. Think I'll probably try leveling a warden since ranger seemed the best for quickly soloing and sightseeing for the previously free classes but the little I heard makes it sound like wardens should be as good or better for solo play and a dork with a spear/javelins is cooler than a ranger. Sadly my ranger will be absorbing the free riding skill but since riding skill's like 100 good boy points per-character it won't be difficult to get for alts anyway.

We are currently working to reopen the game worlds, and we expect to be able to reopen the worlds tomorrow morning (Thursday, April 21st Eastern Daylight Time.) We will have more information in about 12 hours.
Guess they shit the bed pretty hard. Wonder what the fuck happened.

deama

Prophet
I just looked at some gameplay overview of all the classes and it made me uninstall the game...
I'm sorry...

curds

Magister
I just looked at some gameplay overview of all the classes and it made me uninstall the game...
I'm sorry...
Yeah, you'd have to be sick to be playing LOTRO for its gameplay. Only worth playing if you can look past that and get absorbed in the atmosphere.

ADL

Prophet
At the very least I recommend installing and redeeming the rewards that you get at level 2. It'll only take you five minutes... Or an hour if you're like me going through a Quenya/Sindarin glossary looking for a cool name. They're talking about porting this to consoles which I would imagine includes a significant visual/gameplay overhaul because there's no way in hell this game would work as-is on consoles.

Also not sure what bundle it came from but I got a level 105 boost in addition to the 50/120 ones.

hello friend

Arcane
Just got a ton of items dumped on me and a real issue with space. Had to toss out all the cosmetics. High elf race is still locked, though. Can someone give me a quick cliff's notes of what to do with a new character after reaching level 5 to get all the permanent stuff? I have no intention of playing this game any time soon, just want the free expansions and races and shit.

FriendlyMerchant

Playing lotro doesn't sound like a good idea. I don't want to go into anaphylactic shock.

Comte_II

So do I get all expansions without being a VIP? I am confused.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So do I get all expansions without being a VIP? I am confused.

You would have if you popped in back in November. Now, they're just giving out the two most recent expansions along with some other stuff for this anniversary.

?

As we announced in the March 2022 Producer’s Letter, We're making some big changes to the game! The following will happen automatically when Update 33 is released:

Permanently Free for everyone:

• High Elf Race
  • Classes:
    • Rune-keeper
    • Warden
    • Beorning
  • ALL Quests, Instances, areas, and expansions released between April of 2007 and the release of Helm's Deep. Quest, craft, and explore your way to level 95! Includes:
    • Expansion Quests: Helm's Deep
    • Expansion Quests: Isengard
    • Expansion Quests: Mirkwood
    • Expansion Quests: Moria
    • Expansion Quests: Rohan
    • Instance Cluster: Isengard
    • Instance Cluster: Rohan
    • Instance: Halls of Night
    • Instance: Inn of the Forsaken
    • Quest Pack: Eriador Bundle
    • Quest Pack: Angmar
    • Quest Pack: Enedwaith
    • Quest Pack: Eregion
    • Quest Pack: Evendim
    • Quest Pack: Forochel
    • Quest Pack: Great River
    • Quest Pack: Lothlorien
    • Quest Pack: Misty Mountains
    • Quest Pack: North Downs
    • Quest Pack: Trollshaws
    • Quest Pack: Wildermore
    • Raid: Draigoch's Lair
    • Skirmish: Attack At Dawn
    • Skirmish: Defence of the Prancing Pony
    • Skirmish: Ford of Bruinen
    • Skirmish: Stand at Amon Sul
    • Skirmish: Storm on Methedras
    • Skirmish: Survival: Barrow-downs
    • Skirmish: The Icy Crevasse
    • Skirmish: Thievery and Mischief
    • NOTE: Eriador Bundle includes Quest Pack: Angmar, Quest Pack: Enedwaith, Quest Pack: Eregion, Quest Pack: Evendim, Quest Pack: Forochel, Quest Pack: Misty Mountains, Quest Pack: North Downs, and Quest Pack: Trollshaws.
Make sure to log in between 10:00 AM Eastern on April 20th and 3:00 AM Eastern on May 11th to pick up your “Happy 15th Anniversary” gifts! When you log in you will receive the following if you are at least level two when the Anniversary Event is active:

Account-Wide Gifts:

• Chestnut Corgi Pet
  • Steed of Starlight (This skill also auto-grants the Starlight Caparison, Head-piece, accessory, leg-guards, and saddle.
  • Collector’s Edition – Mordor Expansion
  • Collector’s Edition – Minas Morgul Expansion
  • Collector’s Edition – War of Three Peaks
From March 2022 Producer’s Letter:
Finally, there’s another change that’s perhaps the biggest we’ve made since The Lord of the Rings: Online went free to play all those years ago... With this update, all quests, areas, instances, and expansions released between the original launch of LOTRO back in 2007 and up to – and including! - the release of Helm’s Deep will be available for free to everyone. Quest, explore, and craft your way to level 95 to your heart’s content!
More info:
https://www.lotro.com/news/lotro-15th-anniversary

Did I misread? I got most free stuff in november but seems like a lot of stuff are now permanently free.
Never bought any expansion or quest packs, seems like I got 2 more with the current 15th Anniversary.: Minas Morgul and War of Three Peaks as quoted above, Mordor I got last Nov.
In LOTRO store I am missing and can purchase: The latest expansion Gundabad and 2 Quest Packs: Yondershire & Rangers and Ruins.

Last edited:
Did I misread? I got most free stuff in november but seems like a lot of stuff are now permanently free.
Never bought any expansion or quest packs, seems like I got 2 more with the current 15th Anniversary.: Minas Morgul and War of Three Peaks as quoted above, Mordor I got last Nov.
In LOTRO store I am missing and can purchase: The latest expansion Gundabad and 2 Quest Packs: Yondershire & Rangers and Ruins.

Maybe. All I know is that I informed a friend of mine that there used to be a free code you could enter for most of the content. I told him to check the store recently and he said he wasn't seeing it. I assumed it's no longer a thing because they said it only ran until November of last year. Maybe they've auto-unlocked all that for new accounts since. No idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom