Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games set underwater?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Besides X-com Terror from the Deep, are there any other good games that take place underwater? I always thought it is a highly atmospheric setting, but unfortunately, I don't know too many games that actually utilize the setting to its fullest.

I know SOMA takes place underwater, but you are mostly walking around on a research station, with the occasional deep dive exploration on foot. While good, it feels more like a backdrop to the story than being a part of it. Anno 2070 had a nice DLC that expanded the underwater segment by a lot. It's pretty cool. Yet, the majority of the game is still spent on land, since the underwater stuff is endgame.

Any other cool titles to share?

At the risk of being Captain Nauti... Obvious, but:

Subnautica. I never actually finished it and probably never will, but... depending on what you're looking for, it's quite a package. Can also trigger a lot of anxieties though.

Back in the day, I also quite liked Schleichfahrt / Archimedian Dynasty, which is a different thing altogether though.

Zenithsan

Educated
61pUDVRhANL._SL1000_.jpg

latest

41714PRH7NL._AC_.jpg

The underwater environmental art is pretty much the only thing the Bioshocks get right.
But yeah, Subnautica is the obvious answer (arguably the reason it was such a massive hit is because the underwater setting is underused).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Totally forgot about Subnautica. I did try it, but didn't like it that much. Felt too aimless to me. I wish I did, though. I got that anxiety inducing feeling when swimming too deep into the dark.

Totally forgot about Subnautica. I did try it, but didn't like it that much. Felt too aimless to me. I wish I did, though. I got that anxiety inducing feeling when swimming too deep into the dark.
It has very weak and repetitive core gameplay once the novelty of exploration wears off.
The first third of the game is pretty ace though, it really nails the wonder and terror of being dropped into an alien ecosystem.

Codex Year of the Donut
Archimedean Dynasty + Aquanox 1&2

I could have sworn there was also an Elite-like game that was set underwater, but maybe I was just confusing it with one of the above.

It has very weak and repetitive core gameplay once the novelty of exploration wears off.
The first third of the game is pretty ace though, it really nails the wonder and terror of being dropped into an alien ecosystem.

Subnautica+something a tad more implicitly Cthulhuish and a few refinements would probably be INSTANTWIN. I've recently watched, I think it was a GDC talk about how development of Subnautica went. At one point they figured a lot of the (at first) unintentional anxieties and fears triggered by the game apparently had much increased the interest in their (then) early-access release. Mainly through the leviathans.

I played this with my headphones on and you've got the admit they really nailed the sound design as well. I swear the first time
one of those reapers caught me by surprise by roaring RIGHT BEHIND ME and then turning my sub around so I was about to stare in WHATEVER THE FUCK I WAS GOING TO FACE's FACE
I raised my hands to shield my eyes, which I hadn't done since watching horror movies as a little kid. I like classic horror games, but this was something else.

Arryosha

Learned
Part of Grim Fandango takes place at the bottom of the ocean, but not a big enough part to be what you're looking for.

I remember wondering how the characters can survive underwater without respirators. Silly me.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
My ultimate goal is to make a proper cRPG eventually and the idea was to set it on a water planet, where you would essentially create some kind of salvage/adventuring party with Big Jim suits acting as armor. Combat would be a mix of shipboard conflict and
underwater battlefields. I liked the idea of having semi-aquatic races to pick from... Underwater temples filled with manta ray warriors or jellyfish men. Lots of setting specific weapons obviously harpoons, bomb lances... Shit they killed whales with.

I'm terrible at describing things with words I should just do a mock up. Essentially I want it to feel like Baldur's Gate set mostly on the ocean and underwater.

Mark doesn't like underwater settings though. I've been chipping away at him about this over the years. Maybe the mockup would help.

A horse of course

My ultimate goal is to make a proper cRPG eventually and the idea was to set it on a water planet, where you would essentially create some kind of salvage/adventuring party with Big Jim suits acting as armor. Combat would be a mix of shipboard conflict and
underwater battlefields. I liked the idea of having semi-aquatic races to pick from... Underwater temples filled with manta ray warriors or jellyfish men. Lots of setting specific weapons obviously harpoons, bomb lances... Shit they killed whales with.

I'm terrible at describing things with words I should just do a mock up. Essentially I want it to feel like Baldur's Gate set mostly on the ocean and underwater.

Mark doesn't like underwater settings though. I've been chipping away at him about this over the years. Maybe the mockup would help.

That sounds cool, kind of reminds me of 60s/70s movies with Victorians /Edwardians going into the center of the earth and stuff like that.

You should do a mockup in the NWN toolset or something.

Strig

Learned
People already mentioned Archimedean Dynasty so I'll propose this little gem I like to call "Archimedean Dynasty for retards". I loved it when it came out. :lol:

Do it, I want it. Mark better come around to the idea or I will find him and murder him in his sleep. Or he might be wide awake, like I give a toss.

JDR13

Arcane
The underwater environmental art is pretty much the only thing the Bioshocks get right.
But yeah, Subnautica is the obvious answer (arguably the reason it was such a massive hit is because the underwater setting is underused).

I don't think it's the only thing Bioshock got right, but it definitely added a lot to the setting. For me, it's one of the main reasons I prefer Bioshock 1 & 2 over Infinite.

I really need to get around to trying Subnautica one of these days. I've owned it forever.

Curratum

Northern Journey has multiple, long-ish levels set entirely underwater, using a maneuverable diving bell and a rebreather, and has some of the most atmospheric and awesome underwater visuals I've seen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom