Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

LostHisMarbles

Learned
Staying on social network bubbles of constant outrage

Are you sure that by now, other kinds of bubbles exist? :)
It's pretty polarised all over i'd think.

As to Sawyer .. just me, but when you willingly turn yourself into the male equivalent of a lesbian cyclist and start apologising for your distant ancestry .. maybe what you say on Twitter -especially since you use it extensively- doesn't really matter. Maybe you as a person no longer really matters either.
(emphasis on person; forget his occupation)

Sad shit.

Sannom

Augur
That's not a studio job though. Or even specific to video games. You have directors in everything that involves voice acting.

professional VO director
you know, at some point I think they're just making these jobs up
It’s been a job for 40ish years, you’re just only starting to see them being used in the game industry.

For example I believe Bruce Timm has said that he credits Andrea Romano as the person most singularly responsible for the success of the DCAU.

Codex Year of the Donut
professional VO director
It’s been a job for 40ish years, you’re just only starting to see them being used in the game industry.

For example I believe Bruce Timm has said that he credits Andrea Romano as the person most singularly responsible for the success of the DCAU.
imagine if they spent that money on actually making games have good gameplay instead of making them more like movies

professional VO director

imagine if they spent that money on actually making games have good gameplay instead of making them more like movies
Can’t disagree there.

Although Josh was also purportedly pretty pissed about the mandated full-VO for Deadfire.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
nearly as many people own atom rpg on steam as dumpsterfire despite it costing probably 1/40th as much to produce
Voice acting isn't the make/break that Feargus thought it was, but when it comes to player preferences, I'm confident most people would rather have some of good/great quality than absolutely none at all.

Codex Year of the Donut
nearly as many people own atom rpg on steam as dumpsterfire despite it costing probably 1/40th as much to produce
Voice acting isn't the make/break that Feargus thought it was, but when it comes to player preferences, I'm confident most people would rather have some of good/great quality than absolutely none at all.
they're a vocal minority

get it?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Voice acting in isometric feels like a major waste of time. Any other setting, I think it's fine, like third or first.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
"Voice acting in isometric feels like a major waste of time", they say after orgasming over how good the voice acting is in the IE games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Voice acting in isometric feels like a major waste of time", they say after orgasming over how good the voice acting is in the IE games.
Or the praise for all the Jagged Alliance 2 barks.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Barks, story presentation, snippets of voice acting, all fine. But having every character voiced, how major, or minor, droning on, when you read what they say anyway. There is no facial expressions to notice either. You are just listening to stuff you have already read in your head.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I usually enjoy some voice acting, at least for major bits, or maybe chapter narration as in the IE games. But when it's overdone it's sooooo slow and I either have to start skipping stuff or actively look somewhere else/turn subtitles off in order not to hate it. Even then, I tend to get annoyed since I sat down to game, not to watch a movie.

All that being said, VTMB wouldn't be the experience it is without its talented voice actors and direction. Like the first meeting with Jeanette where she introduces herself is memorable in large part due to the voice acting.
As I recall, Margaret Tang was credited highly with the voice casting and bringing that together. I don't know if that extended to direction or who was responsible for that though.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
The thing that's always bugged me about having a game be fully voiced over, is that it creates a really uncanny effect when you inevitably start skipping through dialogue.

Other then that though I think it's lovely when a game has a good narrator or voice acted quips and dialogue. As long as it's done in moderation. Nobody wants to listen to NPCs drone on forever about nonsense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom