Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost of a Tale - stealth action-RPG where you play a mouse

DraQ

Arcane
First GoaT2 screenshot :)

I never would have hoped for this. If the quality is the same as the first title it's a day 1 purchase for me

I'm still not preordering stuff, but have revised my rules for D1Ps - if it looks great and is by small enough studio that executive meddling can't fuck it up, it's...
:d1p:time!

DraQ

Arcane
Hey bros, I just met this game (thanks again DraQ ) and it looks interesting but, but I would like to know if the PS4 version is doable or if it's some crap port with 30fps and shitty gfx or something. These days I've become more of a sofa player if you know what I mean. Thanks.
I dunno, I play my games (especially ones starring rodent protagonists) with a mouse, as befits a member of glorious PC master race.

I do have a wall projector setup, though, for when I feel extra
:avatard:.
It was probably a mistake to not play GoaT this way first time around, but I'm definitely revisiting it.

DraQ

Arcane
Just jumping on this thread to repeat how GREAT GoaT was. My only complains is that it is too easy to just run away from the guards (once outside), and that spider underground part was frustrating.
It could have been a bit stronger on the gameplay front, but fuck if it wasn't one of the best storyfag, characterfag and even lorefag experiences I've ever had.
Furfag too. :incline:

And a gorgeous one as well.
And genuinely funny without it detracting from its darker, more serious tones.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Finally spent some time playing this. It was worth it and I should played it earlier. Just like the author stated, it does capture the magic felt in old-school games, although IMO it does seem the game doesn't know how old-school it wants to be: in one hand, you have QoL stuff such as a journal of sorts, but on the other hand important info said by certain NPCs is not recorded anywhere, nor they'll repeat themselves.
I like the writing enough to savescum and talk to certain characters over and over to see what they say, as it does seem the game tracks some fun variables such as what you're wearing (or not wearing), which characters you met before if they're related to the situation at hand and so on. Despite what's been said here, rats as seen ingame are quite assholes, as the first friendly rat you meet quite clearly is extorting you for nearly line of dialogue. The other "important" rat you eventually meet is friendlier, but even then he seems to act patronizingly at times, or it does seem that way to me. I tried to piss him off by looting his stuff like a dirty rat mouse and not giving it back. I half-expected him to attack me, but he just becomes grouchy, whether it's due limited animations or personality.

For good or bad mice here are somewhat based on gypsies, seeing how they're seen as thieves (and for a good reason, as you will loot everything not nailed down) and worse, but they still can do honest work at times. I like that the MC's personality is predefined and if you try to pretend to be a tough guy during conversations, characters will call you out immediately. The MC is also a married and with children (sort of), which is unusual in gaming, especially lately.
Unfortunately, there are spoilers everywhere for this game, especially the wiki, which is poorly edited. I wanted to check out if there are shops ingame besides spending money on the blacksmith and I accidentally stumbled upon endgame spoilers. Hell, even the dev's youtube webpage has spoilers too.

Either way, it's fun to play... Although I still can't find that damn armory key to get the guard armor thing, but I believe I'm close to getting it.

lightbane

Arcane
SPOILERS BELOW:

Finished. GOTY, and severely underrated. felipepepe should learn of this one to include it in his book ASAP.
As mentioned, the ending is a blatant cliffhanger and set-up for future works. Worse, the final battle is clunky, as you're forced to carry fragile stuff while you're being pursued relentlessly, hoping that your allied NPCs can cover you instead of fucking around somewhere.
The rest of the game is amazing, although I believe the early game (the prison), has more work put behind than the rest, seeing there's stuff like interactive props to hurt guards that aren't used anywhere else. Either way, this is a proper rpg despite the lack of features seen in modern CRPGs of nowadays, such as cringe writing, wall-of-text dialogues, horribly-written romances with your companions, strong women everywhere*, bugs aplenty and so on.

The writing is good, and the setting seems to be halfway between NIMH and Mouse Guard since the world is a dark fantasy one with low magic, but not completely hopeless. The situation with the mice seems to have the implication that it's been built upon lies, or important info had been conveniently edited out: There's that banner you can find in the catacombs that shows the mice as warriors of sorts (and riding magpies to boot!), which contradicts the whole "the mice are cowards that betrayed everyone to save themselves from the zombie hordes" argument. Besides, I would like to believe that everyone is smart enough to be aware that undead hordes are poor negotiators: they always take everything and give nothing in return.
Funnily enough this may be the actual case with what happened with Merra.

Chances are she went/was taken to Periclave by the Flame itself, likely to become an herald of the horde or worse. She has enough reasons to wish to see the world burn, especially if she was promised something akin to seeing her son again if she complies.
We won't know for sure until the sequel is out.

It's interesting how both gameplay and story-wise you're brought to the realization that the mice become rebels out of necessity, as they're trapped in a self-fulfilling prophecy with how everyone else treats them.

Going back to the gameplay, it reminds me of Deus Ex: the game tracks everything you do, and you can find alternate solutions to some quests. Ie: The "recover the long eye" one. You can solve that one the usual way, or dress up with the thief suit to get it way more easily. Hell, one of the two mice thieves has an additional line of dialogue during the ending if you were wearing the thief outfit, which impressed me. I dunno if there's a reaction if you used the golden armor as well (I believe the only one that does so is the Commander, who has a funny answer if you go see him with it).
I also found the seashell that was featured in the alpha trailer, which does nothing but it's nice to see. Lastly, the dialogue portraits are awesome enough that they should be made Codex avatars IMO.

TL, DR:

Where's the sequel?

Also, this gif fits the game perfectly.
:necro:

*In fact, it seems to be the opposite. The warrior lady ghost is implied to be an exception rather than the norm, seeing how everyone thought Duilan was a "he". But perhaps I'm overthinking it.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's a very good game and the creator has earned my preorder money on anything they do next. Though I really think they should do a new project - I doubt trying to build a bigger & better version of this will go that well.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's a very good game and the creator has earned my preorder money on anything they do next. Though I really think they should do a new project - I doubt trying to build a bigger & better version of this will go that well.
I'd love to see a bigger&better version. First game was amazing but also a bit sparse and rough around the edges. Having a bigger, feature-richer and more polished sequel would be a treat.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Bigger and Better version? Yes they should go for an open world with different realms that you can only traverse on the back of a squirrel to get to legacy dungeons to get shards of a mcguffin, with a large number of small pointless caves/catacombs to get pointless items and get a known fantasy writer to write some stuff on paper to use as vague character design notes.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'd love to see a bigger&better version. First game was amazing but also a bit sparse and rough around the edges. Having a bigger, feature-richer and more polished sequel would be a treat.

So would I, sure, but I just worry that such a move doesn't seem to go well. These are passion projects from tiny teams (pretty much 1 person in this case) that push a focused idea & theme - and making a bigger version often tends to, in my view, increase the budget (& the risk) and make the game bigger but not necessarily make it better. I would love to see what other unique thing this person could create with another fresh slate, if they were so inclined.

It's also that something like Expeditions: Conquistador clearly seemed to show a way for a bigger & better version (which, ironically, still didn't go that well), but this game IMO excels not due to its particular mechanics but how it all fits together.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's also that something like Expeditions: Conquistador clearly seemed to show a way for a bigger & better version (which, ironically, still didn't go that well).
Um that's actually a good example. Conquistador was an interesting concept but a bit rough. Viking was bigger, better and one of the best RPGs ever made.

If the GoaT sequel went as well as Viking it'd be phenomenal.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's also that something like Expeditions: Conquistador clearly seemed to show a way for a bigger & better version (which, ironically, still didn't go that well).
Um that's actually a good example. Conquistador was an interesting concept but a bit rough. Viking was bigger, better and one of the best RPGs ever made.

If the GoaT sequel went as well as Viking it'd be phenomenal.

I consider Viking a good example of a muddled direction, losing a bit of what made Conquistador exciting and taking on mediocre baggage instead. But this difference is a well worn debate in the Codex. (I still think Viking's a pretty good game overall.)

lightbane

Arcane
How is this an RPG? Seems like stealth adventure game.
Wut? Why didn't anybody mention it before? Gotta play it now

It has some stats and level ups, the latter of which don't matter much though, and the stats are only affected by the outfits you can wear. There are minor C&C and alternate solutions for some quests (but the ending is fixed), so it is kind of a RPG.

So would I, sure, but I just worry that such a move doesn't seem to go well. These are passion projects from tiny teams (pretty much 1 person in this case) that push a focused idea & theme - and making a bigger version often tends to, in my view, increase the budget (& the risk) and make the game bigger but not necessarily make it better. I would love to see what other unique thing this person could create with another fresh slate, if they were so inclined.

Considering the ending, the devs could do whatever they want: "More of the same" if the next game features Tilo visiting Periclave, and a more standard RPG and/or adventure game if the action switches to another character (ie: Silas' adventures after the first game is over).

I don't see Tilo learning combat skills anytime soon.

Oh god a fucking rodent game. Can you commit suicide in this game?

Says the skeleton man.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
More like....

zPicZ7l.jpg

MiBeb2k.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
What a waste. That will add at least 1 extra year of game development in order to accomodate to the new engine, for not to mention it will have inflated required specs as well. OG game looked good already, no need to go with the newest fad IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom