Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness World of Darkness Unbound - Paradox lets anyone can make and sell VtM games

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.worldofdarkness.com/unbound

With a big caveat of course: the developer can sell their game solely on the itch.io, no Steam, no GOG, no consoles, no mobile (well, technically you can sell apk on itch). This practically makes games that need more than one or two person team not so viable imo.

Apart from that, other terms are rather generous. The developer takes 67% of revenues and owns assets that does not directly related to WoD IP.

They list winners of previous VtM Game Jam as featured games on their website.

https://iaselar.itch.io/the-chantry-trials
https://gamet.itch.io/game-of-elders
https://christophgray.itch.io/vtm-descent
https://safemilk.itch.io/the-autumn-people

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I take it that Pdox is failing with their IPs and have to bring in enthusiastic cult members to work for slave wages while owning nothing. Yeah, here's hoping that Pdox keeps hemorrhaging money.

J1M

Arcane
This is cool and I'd like to see more B-tier IPs do something similar. Sad that they've sabotaged themselves with two poison pills:
  • You cannot use "Vampire: The Masquerade" or "World of Darkness" in the title.
  • They can terminate the license with 30 days notice at any time for any reason.
Typical for corporate lawyers, they are only thinking about protecting their client, not how to create a contract that entices the less-than-desperate to agree to it. They should have created a new branding moniker and encouraged people to use it.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
While this is unlikely to produce anything of value, I still think its an interesting idea. They basically already had this in effect with those game jams they had and the general quality of some of the games that were recently published with the license. I'm sure a more practical purpose is for getting more eyes on the game than generic vampire game would.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
This is basically so Masquerade Jam people can sell their projects, right?

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
I wonder if it would be possible to make a WoD free game and sell it on Steam while releasing a WoD based "expansion" that was (almost?) free on itch for users to install.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
PRAXIS: A mix of 4X strategy and roleplaying where you climb to the top of the Vampire hierarchy in Portland, Oregon. Build up a coterie of like-minded Kindred, gather intel and influence, and claim Praxis!

Imagine how powerful the Prince of Portland would be. Have they updated VtM for modern sensibilities so that the blood of IV drug users and homeless prostitutes who take it up the ass is a precious commodity?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
PRAXIS: A mix of 4X strategy and roleplaying where you climb to the top of the Vampire hierarchy in Portland, Oregon. Build up a coterie of like-minded Kindred, gather intel and influence, and claim Praxis!

Checked it out really quick. Took me maybe an hour to complete, tho I did start to skip some of the flavour text because it was banalshitboring. Not horrible, but impossible to lose, I think. Quite messy with no pause and time just going forward on and on and on, while you struggle to move your 10 coterie members (ghouls included) between points of interest. The premise, though, is ridiculous - a Fledgling toppling a Prince. Someone did not pay enough attention to all the subtle hints of how unusual the Bloodlines' Fledgling was, methinks.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
While this is likely to produce only some mediocre VNs at best, it's the first step in the right direction.

I imagine 20 years from now, it may be customary to have this kind of arrangement, where you make a Fallout game any way you want, as long as you fork over 20% to Bethesda for it.

This is cool and I'd like to see more B-tier IPs do something similar. Sad that they've sabotaged themselves with two poison pills:
  • They can terminate the license with 30 days notice at any time for any reason.
Typical for corporate lawyers, they are only thinking about protecting their client, not how to create a contract that entices the less-than-desperate to agree to it. They should have created a new branding moniker and encouraged people to use it.

I read somewhere that scammers are still using a Nigerian prince routine because people they target are stupid enough to not heard about it. The quicker they get rid of anyone with any critical thinking capabilities the better for them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

May as well make your own urban fantasy game with vampires and werewolves, the concept isn't copyrighted.
You don't get to use the VTM trademark in your title, so what's the point? Make your own vampire urban fantasy and you can sell it on Steam and GoG, get all of the revenue (minus what the storefront takes), port it to consoles and mobile if you want, and never have to worry about losing the license cause it's your own setting. You can even pump out sequels if it's successful enough.

Kinda like these:

If this guy took Paradox's offer here and made his games with the official VTM license... but then only got to offer them on itch.io and couldn't even slap VTM into the title... what would he have gained?
Nothing.
This deal is completely worthless.

jungl

Augur
Anyone with coding knowledge and serious about game development not going to bother with this. The settings not that great really convoluted and stupid in a lot of ways.

wishbonetail

Learned
The premise, though, is ridiculous - a Fledgling toppling a Prince. Someone did not pay enough attention to all the subtle hints of how unusual the Bloodlines' Fledgling was, methinks.
He was the chosen one? Now, i think it could've been a good idea to not show and execute his random ass sire in the first few minutes. Let him be a mystery. Maybe even Cain himself.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The premise, though, is ridiculous - a Fledgling toppling a Prince. Someone did not pay enough attention to all the subtle hints of how unusual the Bloodlines' Fledgling was, methinks.
He was the chosen one? Now, i think it could've been a good idea to not show and execute his random ass sire in the first few minutes. Let him be a mystery. Maybe even Cain himself.

Another reason why making your own setting is better, you can go with whatever gameplay structure and narrative you want and explain it within the rules of your world without having to shoehorn an explanation that fits with the WoD lore.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

The true Sire remains a mystery. And Caine likely boosted the Fledgling's blood potency anyway.

wishbonetail

Learned

The true Sire remains a mystery. And Caine likely boosted the Fledgling's blood potency anyway.
It is not once or twice i played this game and im pretty sure his sire was the one he was banging with in motel. Maybe, Cain was his Sire's Sire. That would explain the attention he got from taxi driver. Or maybe, it is time for another replay.

Wasn't the point of the game that your character was not special at all and survived just to be used as pawn for older and more powerful vampires to further their own agendas?

wishbonetail

Learned
Wasn't the point of the game that your character was not special at all and survived just to be used as pawn for older and more powerful vampires to further their own agendas?
Well, he basically single handedly pwned everyone who was there of power in LA. Being a, what, week old? Those powerful vampires should've known better than try to manipulate this bad MF.

Well, he basically single handedly pwned everyone who was there of power in LA. Being a, what, week old? Those powerful vampires should've known better than try to manipulate this bad MF.
How so? The entire game you are doing someone else's bidding, knowingly or not, right upon until a few moments before the end (and only if you choose to not side with anyone), also there isn't anything in the game that tells the fledgeling is special in any way.

If there is someone that pawned everyone of power in L.A. in the game, that would certainly be Jack, who is already a pretty powerful and old vampire himself, that basically is responsible for handling in the shadows all the trouble with the sarcophagus (hell, and that might possibly have been all idealized by Caine).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom