Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Islands of the Caliph - Arabian Nights single character dungeon crawler

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://af.gog.com/game/islands_of_the_caliph?as=1649904300

ss_d9ab6eafc3b8076c62b7196e69a30dc3e4092b88.600x338.jpg
ss_c693ccfd879e1896a9aa40de48512aa9ff7bf0f2.600x338.jpg

Islands of the Caliph imagines an ancient, seafaring Middle Eastern empire, spanning several islands to which the player may venture and explore.

Set in a fictional Island civilization, Islands of the Caliph is a unique mash-up of the old school RPGs the developer played in the 1980s, and Middle Eastern folklore and religion.

Enemies.png

Numerous mythical and dangerous beasts lurk in waiting as you explore and discover new lands. From giant spiders and scorpions, to more supernatural beings like ghouls and jinn, Islands of the Caliph will introduce players to some of the creatures of folklore of Arab, Persian and African cultures among others.

Weapons.png

Weapons are an important tool you will need to overcome adversaries. Find new weapons while adventuring or buy them from a merchant. Each weapon has different stats, so paying careful attention will help you to equip the best items.

Mapping.png

As you explore, your map with be updated automatically. Use it to keep track of your location and to discover new routes of exploration. A small mini map appears in the corner of the screen while exploring, but you can open it to view the whole area when needed.

Treasure.png

Many hidden treasures are waiting to be discovered by a brave adventurer. Some chests have coins, while others may have items to take. You may also use treasure chests to store items you don't need, but are not quite ready to sell.

The player must explore this open world and discover the game's primary quest for themselves. The game seeks to capture some of the open-endedness of classic RPGs like Might & Magic, Ultima and Bards Tale, with some modern conveniences. The player will be offered quests by some of the game's NPCs. Some of these quests will be required to make progress in the game's main story, while others will be optional. It is up to the player to figure out which is which, though often it will be obvious in the context given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Amazing visuals and music, and the gamespeed looks high and fluid aswell. We havn't had some good Arabian Nights themed rpgs in a while, my expectations for this are high.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Gives me strong daggerfall vibes. I hope they do something about the dialogue font though, it looks really out of place in the pixelated world.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can't say I'm a fan of single-char step-based dungeon crawlers, but the Arabian Nights setting makes me excited anyway.

Yeah single-char is a bummer, but Arabian Nights is very underused. Hopefully this is just a very early build and they beef up monster variety. Game looks a little too dark in the exteriors as well.

Will keep an eye on this one though.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Not a fan of the text that looks like its a regular system font at the wrong resolution, or the inventory system that looks like it was made with one of those generic inventory assets you see for some game makers. Feel out of place with everything else being pixel graphics.
Otherwise, this looks very promising. Very promising indeed.

Barbie

Novice
Oh Man. I logged in forgetting I had an account on this site. Good thing I remembered and decided to check it. This game looks awesome. Middle east is definitely an underused setting, let alone the Arabian Nights. Definitely going into my wishlist.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This is demonstrating the "Advanced Lighting Engine" for Islands of the Caliph.

Basically, the closer the player is to a light source, the larger the sphere of visibility. You cane see when stepping away from torches, the visible area becomes much smaller.

It's not realistic at all, but I think that's okay, it works as intended.

vazha

Arcane
*Islands of the Caliph will introduce players to some of the creatures of folklore of Arab, Persian and African cultures among others.*

The premise is mouth-watering, yet the execution seems somewhat lackluster if those vids are anything to go by. Come on, it's an Arabian Nights setting and you are running around with a rondel dagger and a club? where's a Khopesh or an Yatagan? Killing spiders and skeletons? Where are my Lamassu and Efreeti? even the architecture is European.

Disappointed.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
*Islands of the Caliph will introduce players to some of the creatures of folklore of Arab, Persian and African cultures among others.*

The premise is mouth-watering, yet the execution seems somewhat lackluster if those vids are anything to go by. Come on, it's an Arabian Nights setting and you are running around with a rondel dagger and a club? where's a Khopesh or an Yatagan? Killing spiders and skeletons? Where are my Lamassu and Efreeti? even the architecture is European.

Disappointed.

Yeah, the bestiary is disappointing at best. Why are there regular giant spiders we see in every fantasy game? Why not Mesopotamian girtablilu, savage scorpion people, instead?
37fae2b01a6eecbda895097fbf791c42.png

agris

Arcane
Patron
It all looks good aesthetically - except the arms and hands. Something about them looks derpy in context of the other monsters and world art. They stand out in a bad way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom