Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Scorn - another Giger influenced horror game released after long developement

El Presidente

Arcane
If I remember correctly there was a demo of this game years ago, and the actual gameplay/level design was very, very lackluster to put it mildly. Combat was terrible. If they didn't change any of that this will be a 4/10 game with interesting visuals - except this game swings between Giger, which is great, and a bunch of rather disgusting biological crap with pus and gangrene all over the place, which are fucking disgusting to keep looking at. Giger was never repulsive, his art was fascinating.

Riskbreaker

This seems to be set in a somehow sick, dying biomechanical world so the leaking fluids, cancerous growths, ruptured skin etc everywhere makes sense. Depends on where they're going with it.
But yeah, we have their write-ups promising something perhaps immersive simish and on the other hand years of these short videos showcasing only bits of art, of scenery. That on top of obviously troubled development and inexperienced team. There was a number of these Eastern European titles that came outta nowhere and turned to be unique if rough gems so people are likely hoping for something like that. Myself, I don't have much if any hope left.

toughasnails

With this I'm really getting the impression that devs have been fishing for investors all this time and that there is still very little game there...
If they didn't change any of that this will be a 4/10 game with interesting visuals - except this game swings between Giger, which is great, and a bunch of rather disgusting biological crap with pus and gangrene all over the place, which are fucking disgusting to keep looking at. Giger was never repulsive, his art was fascinating.
With Giger it is hard to tell where the machine stops and the biological begins. It's just the whole texture of his creations and then all the specifically mechanical motifs. This is far more BIOmechanical looking yes.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I backed this game on kickstarter. Lust from Beyond too. I can’t wait to play it on release this October.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Couldn't they make those games into adventures?

I don't get the point of trying to make shooters when what they actually want is show their knewl visuals.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

I don't get the point of trying to make shooters when what they actually want is show their knewl visuals.
Agreed. I didn’t like the clunky “combat” or “stealth” in Lust from Beyond. But the video game community is chock full of elitists who decry “walking simulators” and demand that there be combat, stealth, and the illusory threat of death (then immediate reloading)… no matter how clunky or unnecessary.

wishbonetail

Learned

Agreed. I didn’t like the clunky “combat” or “stealth” in Lust from Beyond. But the video game community is chock full of elitists who decry “walking simulators” and demand that there be combat, stealth, and the illusory threat of death (then immediate reloading)… no matter how clunky or unnecessary.
These are sad times we live in, when adventure games are associated with walking simulators.

Riskbreaker

Hell, I'd be pleased to see more fully 3D Myst-likes in general - it's something I lament the lack of. Even while things were still a bit more lively in that subgenre, titles like Uru or Schizm 2 remained exceptions from the norm.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

These are sad times we live in, when adventure games are associated with walking simulators.
Is there a difference? I always assumed the “walking simulator” moniker was named by people who were ignorant of adventure games that weren’t Amnesia clones.

In fact, Frictional included a “Safe Mode” in SOMA so that you could enjoy the atmosphere and story without constantly stealthing. Wish more devs had the balls to do that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The problem with walking simulators is that any game is a walking simulator. It doesn't matter that i have to fight for my life every inch of the way in a game like Elden Ring i can still find the time to look at the sky and pick up flowers if i want to.

That begs the question why would i want to play an empy game just to look at fancy visuals when i can just as easily enjoy fancy visuals in games that have ton of gameplay.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
The problem with walking simulators is that any game is a walking simulator. It doesn't matter that i have to fight for my life every inch of the way in a game like Elden Ring i can still find the time to look at the sky and pick up flowers if i want to.

That begs the question why would i want to play an empy game just to look at fancy visuals when i can just as easily enjoy fancy visuals in games that have ton of gameplay.
But you were just complaining that Scorn is a shooter, I thought?

toughasnails

Once again they fail to communicate how their game actually plays...

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I backed it so I got to play the prologue. I thought it was interesting, but then again I'm biased because I love the art of Beksinski and Giger. The neo-Beksinski/Giger-esque designs look really neat and fascinatingly creepy. If nothing else, this makes up for Ridley Scott ruining the Alien franchise by let Giorgio A. Tsoukalos write those godawful prequels. I was expecting it to be an arthouse game from the beginning, so the lack of a conventional narrative is fine to me. A lot of games have narratives that fall short, so leaving it vague for players to speculate on is probably a better choice than writing anything concrete.

Venser

Erudite
I wish it had a VR support since it's mostly an exploration game (I hate the term walking sim).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom