Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh the invalid comparison with a released game. Here's the reason why your SWTOR example fails... it was released and is still in current development complete with expansion packs. Scam Citizen hasn't been released yet. Therefore your argument falls apart. Try finding a game that hasn't been released and is still in alpha for your comparison to make it valid.
Escape from Tarkov began development in 2012 and is still not "released". It doesn't really matter though, because for all intents and purposes it is released - you can buy it and play it now. There are a lot of games that follow this active development model these days. There are plenty of problems with Star Citizen and CIG but obsessing over "It's not even released!" is a boomer complaint.

Just looking at Escape from Tarkov it's in beta now which began in July 27, 2017. Try again with another game as it was in alpha development for 5 years. Remember, my original statement was to find a game that had been in development for 11 years and never released into beta. You failed in that demand.

As for the obsessing statement, that's a strawman since the point is that the game has taken almost a half a billion dollars and still hasn't released into beta. So you are exercising Zoomer copium for being rammed in the ass by Scam Citizen and defending Roberts' honor.
This is an entirely semantic point. SC is not an "Alpha" in the software production sense of that term. It's a customer-facing product that is receiving support and bugfixes. CIG could call it "Beta 1.0" tomorrow, but that wouldn't change anything about the situation.

They could call it Release 3.0 and it would still be a pre-alpha prototype

Ayreos

Augur
Gotta hand it to them, you cannot fail if you never finish. Like that other sci fi vaporware project....
450px-Ryugyong_hotel_01.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
New AMD cpu Ryzen 5800X3D is really good for SC it seems. Especially coupled with changes in 3.17.

Hey everyone!

It's time for another update on Gen12 as a lot of exciting things has been happening behind the scenes and we've been hearing a lot of voices in the community about the recent performance improvements.
I'm proud to announce that our first big milestone has been reached with Gen12 in 3.17!
This means all our opaque static geometry, which are brushes and all objects scattered on planets+asteroids, now run through Gen12 which more than doubles the RenderThread (RT) performance for these kind of objects.
Before you freak out, hold your breath as this right now actually means nothing in terms of getting more FPS.
Internal measurements showed that we are rarely CPU bound by the RenderThread.
Ultimately this means that a faster RenderThread doesn't change the overall framerate in most cases. It also depends on your CPU/GPU combination.
However, Gen12 pretty much makes it impossible to be limited by the RenderThread ever again,
which means every single bit of performance improvements on the MainThread (MT) will be seen directly on your FPS as long as you are not GPU bound.
Something which a lot of you already have observed in our latest 3.17 PTU Patch.

The performance improvements you're seeing are from @ChristopherBolte who did some major improvements
in the Entity Centric (ECUS) System, Zone Host Updates and a lot of other stuff improving the MT performance greatly.

Here are more Gen12 Updates:
- Internally all Renderproxies like ships, characters and Planets are already going through the Gen12 Pipeline. They didn't make it for 3.17, but will be ready for the next big patch.
> I've heard a lot of ships on screen tend to be heavy on the RT, so ship meetups and the like might get big benefits (would appreciate if someone can test this then!)
- We're about to turn on Gen12 for Cubemaps+RTTs as well which let's us kill a lot of legacy code!
- Some stuff still needs to be ported like all the Planet atmosphere passes, GPUSkinning and GasCloud rendering, which will all be started soon.
- Major work on the transparent geometry has been started. This is the last big milestone we have to finish.

So all in all Gen12 is looking really promising right now. RT performance is more than twice as good and we're almost done with everything.
As explained in my previous post (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...rrent-and-projected-cpu-core-and-thread-count) after Gen12 there are still tons of other improvements planned which will give us even more performance. And of course Vulkan!

One more thing: Due to the mixed rendering of legacy+Gen12 the engine right now has to go through both rendering codes which actually decreases the MainThread performance slightly.
Once the transparent geometry is ported, we no longer have to do that and we will see the full potential of Gen12. Until then, stay tuned and fly safe!

See you in the verse~
Silvan

Youtuber made some tests. He had to drop all the way down to 720p because even at 1080 game was limited mostly by his RTX3080 GPU

720p in quantum drive mode

unknown.png

720p stationary in space

unknown.png

Myobi

Liturgist
Kewl, 500$ for a decent frame rate in SPACE is a small price to pay for any true SC believer.

Perkel

Arcane
When is the next free event? I wanna try the thing.

Invictus free flight event starts april 16 which will last whole week. There will be some kind of "expo" like venues where you can see most of ships from select manufacturers and you can then rent them for free for that day. Every new day, new manufacturer.

Kewl, 500$ for a decent frame rate in SPACE is a small price to pay for any true SC believer.

Also Loreville in 3.16. No 3.17 tests for Lorville.

unknown.png

for comparison older CPUs. SC performance is completely hammered by main thread performance. Basically legacy of Cryengine version on which they started. They work for few years now trying to convert Cryengine main thread to be completely MT.

unknown.png

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Fuck yeah. That was the CPU I was going to be picking up later this year anyways. 3.17 runs really well on my 2700x which is five years old at this point. Wouldn't be surprised to be hitting 80-100FPS consistently in landing zones this time next year with the Gen12 renderer maturing and server-side performance being addressed.

Perkel

Arcane
Fuck yeah. That was the CPU I was going to be picking up later this year anyways. 3.17 runs really well on my 2700x which is five years old at this point. Wouldn't be surprised to be hitting 80-100FPS consistently in landing zones this time next year with the Gen12 renderer maturing and server-side performance being addressed.

more like now with 5800X3D and great GPU like 3080.

dude moves from babage spaceport, hits quantum, flies over planet and goes back. Almost never below 60fps and most of the time 100fps+. New babage which is 2nd most intensive location in SC after Crusader city is like 50-80fps which is just nuts.

For comparison i had GTX1080 and ryzen 3600 and i could never get above 40fps in lorville, 25-35fps in new babage and 60-70 in space, flying over planets also was pretty hard with 40-50fps. All of that at 1440p.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
some other guy compared 3600, 5800X and 5800X3D with 3070.

nearly 100% boost compared to 3600 which is just nuts. 5800X3D is also considered same gen as 5xxx so this is basically 100% improvement generation to generation.

unknown.png

ADL

Prophet
That's good shit. With that much of a boost generation-over-generation I might wait a little longer and just pick up a 7000 series chip on the new socket around holiday season. The 3D chip is interesting because it gives you the choice between buying the best possible AM4-based chip or waiting a couple months and buying into first generation AM5.
A PCGamer article headline said:
AMD says DDR5 on Ryzen will reach 'speeds you maybe thought couldn't be possible'
DDR5 memory prices are gonna suck ass though.

tky

Literate
Their renderer has being maturing for so long that if ever this 'game' comes out, it's gonna come boxed in a coffin.

nonsense. the real bet is that scammed citizens will die off before chris roberts' fundraising powers cease to work. and it's a fair bet to make, in my expert opinion.
Your opinion kinda relies on the world running out of fools, though. I don't see that happening anytime soon. There's always another whale for the feasting.

not about popularity, but how deep the pockets of the whales can go.
...at least as deep as the chasm in their crania I'd say.

no chance. that's a technology patented by elon musk and roberts wouldn't dare mess with tesla.
Now I kinda wanna see them joining forces. Maybe a sequel? Tesla Citizen...

and these guys are on a different level. the kind of rich weird nerds who design their living room to look like the USS enterprise bridge
Didn't the NSA (chief or some such) design a room to look like the enterprise? As I recall, he goes by Alexander or something.

tky

Literate
Their renderer has being maturing for so long that if ever this 'game' comes out, it's gonna come boxed in a coffin.

nonsense. the real bet is that scammed citizens will die off before chris roberts' fundraising powers cease to work. and it's a fair bet to make, in my expert opinion.
Your opinion kinda relies on the world running out of fools, though. I don't see that happening anytime soon. There's always another whale for the feasting.

not about popularity, but how deep the pockets of the whales can go.
...at least as deep as the chasm in their crania I'd say.

no chance. that's a technology patented by elon musk and roberts wouldn't dare mess with tesla.
Now I kinda wanna see them joining forces. Maybe a sequel? Tesla Citizen...

and these guys are on a different level. the kind of rich weird nerds who design their living room to look like the USS enterprise bridge
Didn't the NSA (chief or some such) design a room to look like the enterprise? As I recall, he goes by Alexander or something.

Keith Alexander was the name.

Myobi

Liturgist
Roflmao, is it just me who gets this slight satisfaction every time I see a "butthurt" slapped into something poking fun at SC? Fuck, you don't even need to click the damn thing to know who it was at this point.

ADL

Prophet
Live is running even better than the PTU. Hitting >45FPS in Orison on a fully populated server in 3.17 live with the volumetric clouds enabled at ultrawide 1440p. Previously in 3.16 I would be lucky to hover around 30FPS with clouds disabled. Outside landing zones and in outpost missions I'm hitting 90FPS. Pretty impressive without the more significant Gen12 optimizations coming later this year.

When the free fly event happens, give it a shot. This is an incredibly good patch.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok those Gen12 renderer parts really did change something.

Previously even on my 3080 i couldn't get more FPS than 40-45 in lorville and looking at habs elevator i had always 35-40fps.

Now:

unknown.png

They doubled performance for me.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Don't worry it will look dated and run like a dream when it's released in 2041.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom