Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX expansion coming in early 2024

Jinn

Arcane
I was scared off pretty hard by the deterministic mechanics.

Are you averse to deterministic hit chances but with varying damage output? Just curious. I know you were an early supporter of this game, so it would be a shame if that was what ruined it for you.

I prefer non-deterministic hit chances myself, but variety in damage output will usually even out the pros and cons a bit for me.

Acrux

Arcane
I was a big fan of the King Arthur Role-Playing Wargame, so I'm looking forward to this as well. Most of the games I have installed are only a couple of GBs max, but I'll still need to delete something to make room. Let's see, what's something large I have installed?

Solasta

Okay, into the garbage it goes!

Jinn

Arcane
Well, I've watched enough gameplay now to know I'll enjoy it. Bought! This was always a game I was planning on getting, but hadn't yet as I mostly refuse to buy any Early Access title these days. In a lot of ways, it seems like a passion project for Neocore - whereas these Diablo 2 clones they've filled their past years with seem more like they were done to pay the bills. Either way, wanted to support another King Arthur game, and a turn-based one at that. Hopefully this won't be the last we see on this path for Neocore.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Compared to the backer beta builds they turned the difficulty into a joke. Normal feels like story mode and Hard feels even easier than the old Normal difficulty.

Jinn

Arcane
As a first-time player of the game, playing on Hard felt very easy for the first couple missions to point where I was getting a little worried. Third mission had some decent challenge with the larger map and ramped up elements of attrition. Then I went tromping into the fourth mission, which was a side-quest that I barely got out of with my party alive. Poor Balan had 1 vitality point left at the end of it, and everyone had injuries. I think I may have over-extended myself on building at Camelot and am feeling really resource-starved going into my next mission. I think I may be fucked.

So I've been pleasantly surprised by the difficulty myself. I probably got a little too cocky because of how smoothly the first few missions went and that contributed to my current game state. Either way, having a great time with it and liking most of what I'm seeing.

Acrux

Arcane
I'm liking what I see so far. I usually like a little more randomness to hit chances, but it works really well here, especially with the damage variation. I like this armor system. I don't think I've seen one just like this before?

I'm happy the game isn't throwing a bunch of resources for Camelot at me and it looks like I'll need to make some decisions on what to build, I think.

That being said, the very limited roster feels painful when there are so many characters that become available. I feel like I'm going to miss out on a lot (story, side missions) by having to give up a slot to trade a character. I'm sure it's good for replay value.

This is true C&C and it hurts!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Are you averse to deterministic hit chances but with varying damage output?

Yes, because if the damage ranges are 5-7 while HP is 10 (which seems to be the case here), the varying damage might as well not exist to me.

Jinn

Arcane
Yes, because if the damage ranges are 5-7 while HP is 10 (which seems to be the case here), the varying damage might as well not exist to me.

With the armor system factored in, I've had many moments already where a low damage roll has served a very similar purpose as a miss might have in a tense combat situation. There's also a fair amount of variety in terms of enemy HP too. I'd say those lower HP enemies - that can be taken out in two hits if you're lucky - have accounted maybe half of the enemies I've fought in the early game here. Overall, it still feels as though chance holds a fair amount of sway over the battlefield.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I forgot that I back this, nice surprise there. But games getting bigger is really getting my nerves, I'm living in a cave goddammit! Downloading such games takes all night....

Jinn

Arcane
I forgot that I back this, nice surprise there. But games getting bigger is really getting my nerves, I'm living in a cave goddammit! Downloading such games takes all night....

The size in gigabytes of this game is absolutely ridiculous, to the point where I could see it deterring people from actually buying it because they simply don't have enough room on their computer to install it. So don't feel bad. 49gb compressed download and 121gb storage is pretty insane no matter if you live in a cave or not.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

The size in gigabytes of this game is absolutely ridiculous, to the point where I could see it deterring people from actually buying it because they simply don't have enough room on their computer to install it. So don't feel bad. 49gb compressed download and 121gb storage is pretty insane no matter if you live in a cave or not.

Even Cyberpunk is only like 80 GB or something, Elden Ring is 70GB.

This is a top down, turn based RPG.

Fucking hell. Their programmer must have failed programming the game to be able to uncompress the asset in the game or someshit that they have uncompressed assets instead.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Played a couple of missions now.

The gud:
1. By far most important - modern, western tactical game that's not a nuxcom clone, hallelujah! You get certain amount of ap and different actions, movement and overwatch have their respective, varying costs, as god intended. I also didn't see any sub-simian iq, arbitrary bs like "you cannot move after attacking" so far. Once again - huge kudos just for that. I know this might seem like a low bar to clear, but this day and age I see this as a huge win.
2. Maps and encounter design is decent, having different points of entry for bigger fights is nice.
3. The home base layer seems to have a surprising amount of depth and available options.
4. There are two separate gud boi/maximum renegade axes that seems to unlock a lot of stuff, like exclusive characters and base upgrades. Nice and replayable.
5. Positioning is important the way it should be important - for flanking and blocking, not chest high walls everywhere (although the cover system does exist).

Ymmv:
1. I like both rng and deterministic games so always hitting, but dmg being random does not bother me so far. This is how it worked in AoW3 and I love AoW3. Although, in AoW3 there was also an extremely rich morale system and shitload of different options, skills and combos to consider. Kinda funny that I'm still waiting for a modern dedicated tactical game that would come close to a strategy game from 8 years ago when it comes to tactical combat. Anyway, I'm rambling now.
2. Not entirely sure what to make of character system so far. There are classes, stats and skills like there should be and overall it seems very similar to their van Helsing game with unlocking base skills and then spending additional points to unlock different upgrades for them. Even the basic attack being a skill with additional unlocks is here.
3. Game runs, looks and controls ok and the art direction is fine. There is this smudgy filter applied though, which I'm not a huge fan of.

The meh:
1. Withholding final judgement as it was just a couple of initial missions, but seems way too easy. I played on hard and got barely damaged, let alone being afraid of losing a character or an entire encounter. I think I used a health potion once, this was when a boss and a couple of goons focused fired my two handed damage dealer for one round. There's still one additional difficulty afair and ironman mode, so not panicking yet.

The bad:
1. Itemization seems 100% modern shit-tier hns-like, with different colors of randomized items with boring modifiers. As uninteresting as it can be so far.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah I forgot to mention you have many actions points and you can spend them on actions in any order you choose. Sure to please the 2-action haters out there.

1. Withholding final judgement as it was just a couple of initial missions, but seems way too easy.

My impressions are similar, but people "out there on the web" say it gets very much harder, very fast once you get over the initial lump of missions. I hope so, because I played the first couple of missions on Very Hard, and it was anything but.

Itemization seems 100% modern shit-tier hns-like, with different colors of randomized items with boring modifiers. As uninteresting as it can be so far.

It is exactly that as far as I can tell. Just a couple of random modifiers with rarity determining the number. It's a little better than other games of its modern kind in that there seems to be a wide span of modifiers that interact directly with skills/builds, but it still is this shitty randomised system without anything unique going on.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played the EA version ages ago. I liked the combat, but the missions where you would roam the villages in RT mode looking for loot/battles were really boring, and the lack of save at this time was salt added to the wound.
Has this been revamped?
The game was rather challenging at this point. I remember spending a significant part of my income on healing characters.
FWIW, I still liked the combat despite no hit chance (which usually triggers me).
But I didn't expect the game to turn into a 120 GB monstruosity, so I cannot install the new version (I don't feel like bothering to reclaim that much of my HD).

btw, why isn't that on the site news?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I played the EA version ages ago. I liked the combat, but the missions where you would roam the villages in RT mode looking for loot/battles were really boring, and the lack of save at this time was salt added to the wound.
Has this been revamped?
The game was rather challenging at this point. I remember spending a significant part of my income on healing characters.
FWIW, I still liked the combat despite no hit chance (which usually triggers me).
But I didn't expect the game to turn into a 120 GB monstruosity, so I cannot install the new version (I don't feel like bothering to reclaim that much of my HD).

They have reportedly nerfed the difficulty. You can save at any time unless you play the roguelite/iron man mode.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has this been revamped?

They have reportedly nerfed the difficulty. You can save at any time unless you play the roguelite/iron man mode.
But can you save and exit in the middle of a mission? I don't care about easier difficulty, but having to play for 1h30 at a time was not feasible for me.

Salvo

Arcane
Game connects to 6 IPs upon starting a singleplayer campaign, I'd recommend blocking the application from accessing the internet unless you plan on playing multiplayer.
Probably nothing malicious, the 120 gb size already shows they have some tech issues

Codex Year of the Donut
Game connects to 6 IPs upon starting a singleplayer campaign, I'd recommend blocking the application from accessing the internet unless you plan on playing multiplayer.
Probably nothing malicious, the 120 gb size already shows they have some tech issues
agreed it's probably not malicious, I just don't like applications connecting to the internet when they don't have to.
Probably analytics or something

Salvo

Arcane
agreed it's probably not malicious, I just don't like applications connecting to the internet when they don't have to.
Probably analytics or something
gib review rusty, I'm still on the fence on whether or not to play this

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom