Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ubisoft Shuts Down Online Services For 90 Older Games

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They should shutdown Ubisoft Connect.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It's not possible to play Might and Magic X without connecting to their server. At some point, you're required to connect to their server to verify ownership, but if the server doesn't exist it just isn't possible. Those of us with the game can't play it anymore. I'm not sure if there's a workaround for it yet, but I doubt it will ever be fixed or addressed by Ubisoft directly.

A certain forum has a work around for this game.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
(Old Games - High quality; Long life cycle) <----> (New Games - Shit quality; short life cycle)

^ (Fulcrum point; make the expensive blinking thing go away; cash out, close studio, fire staff, and retire)

Oh, Ubisoft. You've been sneaking through the EA dossiers again, haven't you?

tky

Literate
Looking at the list, it doesn't seem to have that much to cry about, but still, I have to agree with rusty_shackleford. Seems to be unecessarly greedy.
A bit out of topic, but I would like to see a new Prince of Persia out there. Sands of Time was hella fun. At least it would be something different than the usual boring sandboxes they throw around.

ferratilis

Magister
Most of these games suck, but still fuck Ubisoft.

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/...g-of-online-services-september-2022/000102396

Decommissioning of online services (September 2022)​

Closing the online services for some older games allows us to focus our resources on delivering great experiences for players who are playing newer or more popular titles.

To help us achieve this, a number of older titles will be added to our list of decommissioned online services on 1 September 2022.

Below you will find a detailed breakdown for the effects of this new round of decommissions per platform.

Game namePlatformChanges to functionality

Anno 2070
PC
You will be unable to play multiplayer, link Ubisoft accounts in-game or use online features.
Assassin's Creed II
PC
PlayStation 3
You will be unable to play multiplayer, link Ubisoft accounts in-game or use online features.
Assassin's Creed 3 (2012 Release)*PC

Additionally, the installation and access to downloadable content (DLC) will be unavailable.

PlayStation 3
Wii U
Xbox 360

Assassin's Creed BrotherhoodPC

Additionally, the installation and access to DLC will be unavailable.
PlayStation 3
Xbox 360

Assassin's Creed Liberation HDPC
You will be unable to link Ubisoft accounts in-game or use online features.

Assassin's Creed Revelations
PlayStation 3
Xbox 360

You will be unable to play multiplayer or use online features.
Driver San FranciscoPC

PlayStation 3
Xbox 360

Far Cry 3 (2012 Release)*PC

PlayStation 3
Xbox 360

Ghost Recon Future SoldierPlayStation 3
Xbox 360

The multiplayer for the game will be unavailable.

To play the solo campaign, you will have to set your console into offline mode.
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten SandsPC

Rayman Legends
PlayStation 3
Wii U
Xbox 360

Silent Hunter 5PC

Space JunkiesPC (HTC VIVE, Oculus)
As a multiplayer only title, you will be unable to play the game going forward.
Splinter Cell: BlacklistPC

PlayStation 3
Xbox 360

ZombiUWii U

* Remastered version of the game is not affected.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Making the installation unavailable is really a dick move, no matter if a game sucks.

Or is it just the installation of DLCs? That's kinda ambiguous way to put it.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Killing Splinter Cell Blacklist really suck. Great coop, and the game even have coop specific missions that can't be played singleplayer. Which means they will castrate the game. Ubisoft is such a shitty company.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My main worry is with anno 2070 and the "seasonal" campaign missions and how that stupid council vote system affect/affected you ingame with bonus and debuffs. And the fact alot of the game improvement stuff is dependable on dlc content.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Main main worry is with anno 2070 and the "seasonal" campaign missions and how that stupid council vote system affect/affected you ingame with bonus and debuffs. And the fact alot of the game improvement stuff is dependable on dlc content.

All gone, like tears... in rain.

J1M

Arcane
I like the mystery of that table having several cells in the wrong place so there's 2 surprise games being decommissioned.

Modron

Arcane
I like the mystery of that table having several cells in the wrong place so there's 2 surprise games being decommissioned.
I believe those are just the different versions of the game listed above because there are discrepancies between how PCs and consoles are affected by the shutdowns.

Azdul

Magister
This wouldn't matter at all if they didn't take away unlockable content from players. Just make it work offline ffs.
Why ? It would not increase Ubisoft cashflow in any way - they've already paid for this content.

If they are able to play old game - they may even give up on buying Assassin's Creed N+1 or eventual remake.

If anything - this Ubisoft behavior proves why EGS game giveaways or some very attractive Steam sales are a scam. If you want to own a game - not rent it for few months - you need to wait a decade and spend 50c of your hard earned money during GOG or Zoom sale.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Or go physical (for older generations). I have most of my console games copied to a PC drive.

Azdul

Magister
If you want to own a game
... you need to sail the seven seas. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
In good old days you could be sure that if well known scene group signed under DRM-free release - it will work and will be compatible across the board. Clean cut surgical job to get rid of DRM. Scene groups were not Ubisoft - they had some standards to uphold.

Some games you can buy from GOG are scene releases from good old days with group name replaced with spaces within an EXE :lol:.

Nowadays some new groups 'crack' Steam version by providing lousily coded Steam emulator - even if GOG version is available. And it is often bundled with malware or altcoin miner before someone releases it on P2P.

And if scene does good, clean job of removing Denuvo - you can be pretty sure that next official Steam patch will also remove it - and GOG release will follow.

Gerrard

Arcane
https://anno-union.com/union-update-update-anno-2070-online-services/
Hello Anno Community,

Today we are informing you that Ubisoft has decided to decommission online services for some older games on September 1st, including Anno 2070. You can find the full list of all impacted games here. And, as you know, Anno 2070 has several features tied to its online services.
That said, after an initial investigation, we have decided to dedicate some of our development resources to work on upgrading Anno 2070’s aged online services infrastructure to a new system, so that these features can continue to be used past the mentioned date. However, we cannot yet guarantee that we’ll be able to successfully upgrade/replace the old services as we’d like to.
Please note that until September 1st, the current online services will still be fully available. We will provide more detailed updates on the future of Anno 2070 in the coming weeks and months.

Thank you for your understanding.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Assassin's Creed Liberation HD. That's not evel DLC, but a game, which was on sale in Steam Summer Sale.
1657469927396.png

SumDrunkGuy

Good to know. I'm glad I didn't get too invested in Rainbow Six Seige. I'll never purchase another Ubishit product ever again. That was already the plan for years but this reaffirms it.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
New notice, and game is up for sale. Ubisoft are a joke.
View attachment 26097
What I don't understand, if this is indeed a matter of online activation, why not just force the game to download an edited file that confirms all activations in perpetuity? Remove mandatory checking whenever you launch the game. This should at least clear the DLC if not multiplayer itself.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
https://anno-union.com/union-update-update-anno-2070-online-services/
Hello Anno Community,

Today we are informing you that Ubisoft has decided to decommission online services for some older games on September 1st, including Anno 2070. You can find the full list of all impacted games here. And, as you know, Anno 2070 has several features tied to its online services.
That said, after an initial investigation, we have decided to dedicate some of our development resources to work on upgrading Anno 2070’s aged online services infrastructure to a new system, so that these features can continue to be used past the mentioned date. However, we cannot yet guarantee that we’ll be able to successfully upgrade/replace the old services as we’d like to.
Please note that until September 1st, the current online services will still be fully available. We will provide more detailed updates on the future of Anno 2070 in the coming weeks and months.

Thank you for your understanding.

Good news
We have worked hard this summer to update the game, upgrade and replace various legacy online services and test if it all runs smoothly in the end. Thank you to the testers from our community who helped us find some newly introduced bugs.

We started with Anno 2070’s singleplayer (campaign, sandbox, missions) as well as special features (the Ark, world events, the voting system and achievements), then tackled the multiplayer (regular versus mode, coop mode and domination mode) and the migration of player progression (old savegames, existing Ark with its items).

Today, we are happy to announce that we’ll be able to release an update to Anno 2070, that will allow you to continue to play the game past September 1st and hopefully for many more years to come.
After installing said update, you will be able to do World Events and vote in the regular council elections as you used to. You will also keep your full progression and be able to continue your existing savegames including your Arks and their content.
For the multiplayer fans, be it in coop mode or PvP, you dive right back into the Domination Mode or simply a regular multiplayer match.

In fact, your experience should even be a bit smoother now than before: We ported the game to 64bit, which enables the game to address all your PC’s memory. Additionally, the new online services should make for a nicer matchmaking experience. And you can still use the in-game friendslist to set up matches.

Anno 2070 will enter maintenance mode on September 6th at 6 AM UTC+2. During this maintenance, we’re going to migrate all your progression to the new version. This maintenance could take up to 24h, meaning that from September 7th, 6 AM UTC+2, onward, you can dive into the updated version of Anno 2070.
Be assured, we will give you an update as soon as the maintenance is over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom