Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG you'd like to see made?

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Another game I'd love to see made is an ARPG in the style of Gothic, set in a world based on the novel The Last Castle, by Jack Vance. You'd play the role of an Aristocrat, forced by circumstance to venture outside the comforts of your everyday life.

I'd try to keep the social commentary as neutral as possible but I'd make it a point to allow the player to side with any number of factions, be it the dirty Meks, your fellow highborn ivorytower bros or the plebs who roam the outside world, allowing you to shape events and to ultimately decide the fate of the world.

It would play alot like ELEX, onley the Albs wouldn't necessarily be the bad guys - that would be up to the player to decide.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I still want a tactics RPG, FFT or Tactics Ogre style, set in the Elder Scrolls universe and using the kind of skill sets they had in Daggerfall/Morrowind/Oblivion. I have it all set in my mind how it would work out down to leveling units and spell creation and I want that exact thing.

rojay

Scholar
A RPG set in Transoxiana in pre-Ghengis Khan era.
Oh hell yes. That would be an incredible setting for an RPG, whether you mix in fantasy elements or not. A region that's essential for trade between the "civilized" empires of the world, with city states mostly co-existing in a fairly harsh environment. And because it's a crossroads region with a wide mix of peoples, cultures and religions it's constantly in at least low-level conflict. Tons of bandits, weird religious sects and of course there are the aforementioned empires all competing to make sure they get the best trade deals...

Hell, you could also go with a Tyranny sort of thing and set it five years after the Mongol (or the fantasy equivalent) invasion...

Üstad

Arcane
Oh hell yes. That would be an incredible setting for an RPG, whether you mix in fantasy elements or not. A region that's essential for trade between the "civilized" empires of the world, with city states mostly co-existing in a fairly harsh environment. And because it's a crossroads region with a wide mix of peoples, cultures and religions it's constantly in at least low-level conflict. Tons of bandits, weird religious sects and of course there are the aforementioned empires all competing to make sure they get the best trade deals...

Hell, you could also go with a Tyranny sort of thing and set it five years after the Mongol (or the fantasy equivalent) invasion...
Yup, city states in East Turkestan and Khokand, settler-nomad conflicts, low fantasy setting with arabian nights (ironically much of the stories took plance in transoxiana) theme, ambitious khans, islamic golden age and heterodox beliefs.. it's a prime setting for a great RPG. Great amount of historical research would be needed also I'm afraid it would be too alien for the western players, ideal games usually familiar enough to not repulse the player but exoctic enough to draw interest of the audience.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
  • Action RPG - single PC, no AI companions (except maybe outside of select quests)
  • automatic Save system, saves only at the first light of every in-game day ; the only way to load the game is to die
  • player travels through the world map like in M&B, but the levels themselves are actual open-ended sandboxes
  • robust but flexible Attribute + Skill system - where you buy both with limited XP
  • Warrior skills - unlock new combat techniques, explanding the PC moveset ; combat is mostly based on Severance (with some inspiration in Nioh, DMC5, NGS, SC2, VF5, T5DR) ; also Marksman skill that improves accuary (similiar to DX)
  • Thief Skills - your standard lockpicking, pickpocketing, speech, sneak (just lowers your movement noise, not visibility) ; also Athelics which governs, running, swimming, climbing and acrobatics (which besides jumping includes movement à la Sands of Time and Mirror's Edge)
  • Mage Skills - Alchemy and Enchanting ; the remaining skills are all about meeting the requirements to learn spells ; trigger warning > magic system is mostly inspired on Naruto up until the 3rd Hokage's death (plus a few cool bits of Shippuden pre-War)
  • Light and Sound meters for stealth gameplay
  • a Concentration mechanic for magic, if Concentration is bellow the spells requirements then the character can't cast it, if the mage is in the middle of casting and Concentration is lowered then the magic is cancelled, Concentration rises through effiecient gameplay
  • Survival mechanics that contribute meaningfully to the gameplay ; Money is difficult to earn, fast to lose ; Carry weight and RE4 limited inventory tetris ; a comprehensive Crime system
  • Human NPC have good AI ; distinct creatures have distinct behaviour and weakness
  • few Dungeons, but all distinct and significant in size ; this where you find artifacts (items that have unique properties)
  • the more the PC strays from civilization the more dangerous and fantastic, creatures and the enviroment get
  • no Quest Compass, instead the player is given a detailed world map (where even regions and biomes are named) and a Morrowind style Journal (but better organised, and with added sections such as bestiary, character index and a glossary for common lore concepts)
  • Quests should allow for multiples playstyles, but naturally depending on context some approaches are more suitable and therefore get better outcomes, while inappropriate playstyles have harder time completing and may even result in worse outcomes
  • Guild quests however should only be possible to complete via the Guild's required playstyle
  • Worldbuilding quality on the level of Morrowind
  • Setting is mostly a mismatch of Late Medieval and Early Renaissance, magic being somewhere between High and Low fantasy
  • Campagain last 3 in-game playable years - each year has it's own objective, and the following year changes depending on the PC choices
  • Various events take place on specific dates and places, ranging from holidays to disasters

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The two really big ones:
An actual proper CRPG adaptation of the French TTRPG Galactic Empire. Two games exist, but they're both action games that aren't RPGs at all. The setting has a whole bunch of interesting and weird things in it that it wouldn't quite fill the same niche if it was just a proper CRPG space opera game.
A proper CRPG set around Arthurian mythology, where the player creates their own character and attempts to behave as a virtuous knight all around Britain. With vast amounts of C&C and the possibility of even going rogue.

On minor things, I'd like to see remakes of Covert Action and Sword of the Samurai that smooths out the rough edges. They're both great games, but they do have some noticeable flaws in them.

rojay

Scholar

Yup, city states in East Turkestan and Khokand, settler-nomad conflicts, low fantasy setting with arabian nights (ironically much of the stories took plance in transoxiana) theme, ambitious khans, islamic golden age and heterodox beliefs.. it's a prime setting for a great RPG. Great amount of historical research would be needed also I'm afraid it would be too alien for the western players, ideal games usually familiar enough to not repulse the player but exoctic enough to draw interest of the audience.
No, that's a setting that would sell if it was done right. Then again, I am the market for that game so perhaps you're right.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Just saw the Valkyrie / Operation Walküre movie with Tom Cruise. Now I'm in the mood for a turn-based, alternate history/fantasy mixture. Think Indiana Jones Tactics. The final boss fight against Hitler is a philosophical battle. Winning it you drive him into committing suicide. Losing it you help him establish the thousand-year Reich (post-game). Hitler was into occult stuff and Wagner. In Wizardry 8 the valkyrie class has the cheating death ability. So Hitler could be close to develop a substance making soldiers rise again after being shot.

Last edited:

Barbie

Novice
I wish more games used middle east and Arabian nights as it's inspo. They're such beautiful settings with lots of potential and uniqueness. Too bad settings associated with Muslims and the middle east are kryptonite for funding.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wish more games used middle east and Arabian nights as it's inspo. They're such beautiful settings with lots of potential and uniqueness. Too bad settings associated with Muslims and the middle east are kryptonite for funding.
There was Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse. Which is basically Legend of Zelda. Pretty solid game:

curds

Magister
The Elder Scrolls IV: Cyrodiil

Building on the success of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, TES IV: Cyrodiil will ameliorate its weaknesses while retaining, and perhaps even improving, its strengths:
  • Dungeons will be larger and more complex generally, with a greater number on the scale of Arkngthand or Kogoruhn
  • A much larger amount of unique dialogue, especially for important NPCs, and no voice-acting in dialogue mode
  • More quests will have alternative outcomes, with story-based C&C
  • The setting will be the Imperial City and a limited section of the Imperial Province around it, allowing for a reasonable scale (architecture: Roman, Romanesque, Byzantine, Gothic)
  • 3 political factions will be joinable and offer a large number of quests, while not being particularly suited to any one character type
  • Aside from the political factions, there will be the Imperial Legion, Imperial Cult, Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Thieves Guild, and Dark Brotherhood as joinable factions
  • The main quest will follow directly from the resolution to the main quest of Morrowind, will actually make sense, and will be substantially less than completely linear
  • The system of character progression/customization will be expanded and improved
  • Even less creature/item leveling than existed in Morrowind
  • More logistics, to enhance exploration
  • Some improvements to the combat system, without making it action-based
  • Stealth will be considerably improved by modelling it on the Thief games, with more interesting quests for the stealth-based factions/guilds than existed in Morrowind
  • As in Morrowind, there will be no minigames, no quest compass, at least 27 skills, an interface designed for computers, statistics-based combat, etc.
The Elder Scrolls, But Good is pretty much my dream game.

tky

Literate
Something in space, maybe. But one without a Chose One this time like Kotor or Mass Effect. Maybe something akin to Wastelad?

I just would like to see more good non-medieval fantasy RPGs like VtM:B and Arcanum, I always thought it would be neat to see a western with tolkien-esque races and creatures, or how would a setting like The Witcher's develop with continental exploration and colonialism.

Out of curiosity, have you played the Shadowrun games?I'm playing Retuns right now and they could be the Tolkien-esque games you're looking for. There's also Greedfall for the colonialism bit.

Skdursh

Savant
Literally any modern RPG where the game would wow, shock and surprise me by a having a complete and total lack of lgbtqia+ pandering, forced diversity, historical revisionism, furries, degenerate fetishes and allusions to the author's real-world political beliefs.

♥ *´¯`*.¸¸.*´¯`* ♥ A man can dream ♥ *`¯´*.¸¸.*`¯´* ♥

Besides that, maybe a game set in the late 60's or early 70's where you roleplay as a cop on an epic quest, hellbent on curb-stomping every last hippie on the face of the planet to save the future. I'd honestly just like to see more games with a contemporary setting in general. Basically anything that takes place at some point within the time span between 1880 and 2030 that ISN'T about World War II, unless it's from the perspective of the Axis nations or a Russian soldier.

Last edited:
good non-medieval fantasy RPGs like VtM:B and Arcanum

There are some. Modern ones? Elex is post apocalyptic, sci fi and fantasy. UnderRail is post apocalyptic and 10/10(except in cooldowns). But I agree, urban fantasy is sadly rare.
I've played Elex 1, it was fun, though the janky combat keeps me from wanting to replay it, sadly the sequel seems somewhat worse. As for Underrail, I haven't played it yet, thought it was just sci-fi, and honestly I'm a bit tired of post-apocalyptic settings so I'm not looking forward to it.

I just would like to see more good non-medieval fantasy RPGs like VtM:B and Arcanum, I always thought it would be neat to see a western with tolkien-esque races and creatures, or how would a setting like The Witcher's develop with continental exploration and colonialism.

Out of curiosity, have you played the Shadowrun games?I'm playing Retuns right now and they could be the Tolkien-esque games you're looking for. There's also Greedfall for the colonialism bit.
Yeah, I've played all of the Shadowrun Trilogy games, they are good but on different levels, and I'm waiting for Greedfall to become absurdly cheap before I buy it, like I did with all the other previous Spiders games I own, but honestly I am looking for something with better writing or explorarion.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I had this crazy idea for a VTMB/Deus Ex like RPG where you play a half-demon:

- human skill tree is about self-defence and solving things with peacefully with logic/diplomacy and stealth

‐Demon skills are about killing, traversal(jumping higher/moving heavy objects even flying and turning invisible on higher leves etc) and threatening or charming

‐Demon levels only up by killing and eating / human level increases by solving quests.

‐your Demon level affects your char's appearence and how people react to you. Demons\Witches don't talk with weak humans/The church won't help you when your Demon level is too high, good people even friends might turn on you.

‐Demon level is not simply about being good or evil
virtuous characters with no or low demon levels will not be be fast enough to prevent an ambush or threatening enough to get a killer to drop his weapon.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'd like to see more DSA / The Black Eye stuff. Even though it's German I don't know a lot about it other than RoA which I love.

I couldn't get into Drakensang.

You obviously played Blackguards, didn't you?
I find the ruleset alright but the magic really sucks.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You've all listed different settings, but:
- 1, it's a matter of taste
- 2, almost any setting can be made interesting. Just look at what Yudkowsky squeezed out of the Harry Potter setting.

I'm replaying KOTOR right now and there's one thing I find that BG, Fallout, KOTOR and VTMB have in common: silky smooth controls and perfect graphics.

I don't think isometric games work in 3d. Colony Ship always makes me want to zoom in to see more details, because 3d inherently invites you to. With 2d, you're all good.

Walking around and the camera controls are perfect the older games. But then take POE, you have feet sliding on the ground, or Pathfinder, you can turn the camera, constantly trying to find a good angle.

Not to mention, modern RPGs fail to be simple and effective at writing.

And yet I will admit that "simple" writing like in KOTOR would be underwhelming in a game today. You land on a planet, every named NPC wants to give you a quest. That quest is solvable by talking to an NPC standing 2 meters way. It's too simple. I don't have a solution for you.

But then I think movies, music and games in all other genres have evolved in directions they shouldn't have. And now we have OSR (old school revival) in tabletop, the music is trying to recreate 80s vibes, and now even movies like the latest Batman are going for the 80s aesthetics. Somewhere we took a wrong turn. I don't know how RPGs should've evolved from their simple dialogues, but I hope someone goes back to the drawing board and plans a new course.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
You've all listed different settings, but:
- 1, it's a matter of taste
- 2, almost any setting can be made interesting. Just look at what Yudkowsky squeezed out of the Harry Potter setting.

I'm replaying KOTOR right now and there's one thing I find that BG, Fallout, KOTOR and VTMB have in common: silky smooth controls and perfect graphics.

I don't think isometric games work in 3d. Colony Ship always makes me want to zoom in to see more details, because 3d inherently invites you to. With 2d, you're all good.

Walking around and the camera controls are perfect the older games. But then take POE, you have feet sliding on the ground, or Pathfinder, you can turn the camera, constantly trying to find a good angle.

Not to mention, modern RPGs fail to be simple and effective at writing.

And yet I will admit that "simple" writing like in KOTOR would be underwhelming in a game today. You land on a planet, every named NPC wants to give you a quest. That quest is solvable by talking to an NPC standing 2 meters way. It's too simple. I don't have a solution for you.

But then I think movies, music and games in all other genres have evolved in directions they shouldn't have. And now we have OSR (old school revival) in tabletop, the music is trying to recreate 80s vibes, and now even movies like the latest Batman are going for the 80s aesthetics. Somewhere we took a wrong turn. I don't know how RPGs should've evolved from their simple dialogues, but I hope someone goes back to the drawing board and plans a new course.

I'd be content with just a return to form (a simpler form) but I understand that I'm likely in the minority.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom