Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry .

Which is the best Wizardry game?

• Wizardry II: The Knight of Diamonds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wizardry III: Legacy of Llylgamyn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Generic-Giant-Spider

Not saying Wizardry 7 is cringe and gay.

jungl

Augur
My idea for wizardry 9

Game picks off from book ending. The player is phoonzang but in incorporeal form kind of like the force in starwars. The party that ascended forged the universe in what they believe was ideal. Complete with good and evil and host of gods for the races to worship. 3 parties come into play what you phoonzang sparks adventure unknowingly into their hearts setting events into motion. All the parties use swords maces ranged weapons etc but they come in different aesthetics.

Tech party- These guys follow the orders of the evil felpurr psion empress and her star fleet. Star trek/wars type gear, companions include felpurr samurai and unique variation of android specializing in psielectromancy.
Sword and sorcery party- These guys are most traditional party. Medieval style gear, companions are divine in nature or draconic
Agent party- These guys use commando styled gear flinstock pistols, ww1 piats, umpani and trang melee weapons which look modern military and aliens in design. Companions are squirrel people and trang or ump

None of the parties are entirely good or evil but up to the player. if the player wants to bring out the space themed nazi with his fairy in the tech party or the meddling secretive asshole with the agent party he can.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Funny the inclusion of tech & magic in the core CRPG games from Questron onwards. I'd love to see the ultimate crossover and you better include W&W elephants and Spelljammer hippomen to join forces with them Rhinomen. Need some Dopesmoking demonworshipping sax-playing donkeymen too.

i thought cleve was working on Wiz9.

BTW, I an severely disappointed he ditched Vault of Terror.

COME ON!!!! That game is TERROR and if you don't hate rats yet... play that game.

Similar if you don't hate spiders play the Magdarr series. 99 spiders dropping on you every square is a fucking bitch!!

Humbaba

Arcane
6 = best story

7 = best graphics

8 = best gameplay

So I guess 8 wins.

Oldfags, please don't bother trying to sell me 1-5, games that ancient have nothing to offer apart from historical and nostalgic value.

Humbaba

Arcane
I'm making popcorn already.
Way ahead of you

1bd.gif

Poseidon00

Arcane
Every one i've tried except 8 has been absolutely bullshit levels of difficulty and I can't do anything. But that makes me like them even more. Seriously though, fuck those games. But I can't get enough. Especially Heart of the Maelstrom for nostalgia reasons.

I really miss this level of challenge in the age of RPGs being a digital kiddie pool.

Ysaye

Arbiter
What this poll proves is that "Open World" game design of any form eats away at people's brains and as a consequence I fully expect that in 10 years Elden Ring will similarily be by far the most popular of the Soulsborne games (Sales figures almost certainly confirm that that will be the case).

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

COME ON!!!! That game is TERROR and if you don't hate rats yet... play that game.

I am scaling back Vault of Terror to a much smaller game, similar to Wizardry One. It is a 2D game but with very good graphics.

I am working on Stones of Arnhem which is the real Wizardry 9.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Uh... wasn't c64 vault of terror pretty scaled back?

well... it'll be way better than Unknown Realm that is fof certain.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I had more fun playing VI than VII because it wasnt so fuckin slow and as ugly as sin

Bane was utterly awesome. The Addams family graphic feel was one-of-a-kind unique. Felt like a true D&D board game translated to computer. D.W. Bradley was a fantastic designer. So much fun with nothing but same dungeon wall set and narrative.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected

I am scaling back Vault of Terror to a much smaller game, similar to Wizardry One. It is a 2D game but with very good graphics.

I am working on Stones of Arnhem which is the real Wizardry 9.
Grimoire II is supposed to be Wizardry 9.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Uh... wasn't c64 vault of terror pretty scaled back?

well... it'll be way better than Unknown Realm that is fof certain.

Vault of Terror is best finished as a game in a single multilevel dungeon, I got too ambitious and before I finished it had started work on Stones of Arnhem. I discovered how to do the encounters in true 3D and got so excited I left off on VOT.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The fact that Wizardry 8 is the most popular Wizardry title on this website, along with Borement being the #1 RPG here, further proves that rpgcodex has shit taste in RPGs.
Storyfaggotry is a poison

The fact you just wrote this nonsense proves your lack of knowledge in the RPG area.

Torment is well liked because of its settings, the quest deisgn, the itemization, the system allowing you to change classes, the companions design, the companion's interactions, all the things no other RPG ever did all at once.
The story is the icing on the cake and not the main reason, it's a better RPG than most games of that era and most RPG coming after.

Wizardry 8 combines the best UI of the series, one of its major issue, fixes many problems as well and takes a U turn from the series, arguably, Wizardry 9 in the same engine and a big budget would have been Sirtech's masterpiece.
Wizardry 8 isn't perfect but it's damn good and if you think it's a storyfag's game, you should write a BG blog, I've heard it's what "tactical RPG" fanatics do...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I like how you avoid the combat system which is the main thing you're doing in an RPG.

Compare it to the games available back then, no ToEE, no KotC, no KotC 2, no Prelude to Darkness, no Dungeon Rats...
You either like it for what it does or don't for what it doesn't, I'm not saying I'm going to replay it but I enjoyed it back then for what it does.

Most games coming after failed to do any single thing better and most were praised here and there (besides the ones mentioned above).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yes, let's compare torment with: entire goldbox series, wizardry 1-7, realms of arkania series , dark sun series just to name a few.
mondblut must be rolling in his grave bed when he sees combatfag praising torment as great crpg on codex

Oh yeah, let's compare it to blobbers, you're a genius, I should have thought about it! We should compare it to mario cart as well...

Did you even play any goldbox title?

And RoA combat is so good if someone released something with a similar UI and combat nowadays, it'd probably reach 5 or 10% positive review on steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom