Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG you'd like to see made?

Üstad

Arcane
It would be so amazing it would humiliate all the mainstream companies and they would all commit harikari from the shame.
Jokes on you they are all spineless and have no shame.

Delterius

Arcane
something single player set in a secret world esque setting
nope sorry. we dont do single player anymore. its all batte royales and nfts now :)
listening to a brazilian play the vampire battle royale game on multiplayer was something else

'oh fuck man i just final death'd him in front of the humans i broke the masquerade and am being blood hunted now'

i had had several meetings with god by the end of that sentence

The ones I'm working on. Can't say what the gist is just yet, since everything is subject to change and I'm still here gitting gud all at the same time code, music, and art, but-

I'd like to play an rpg where you play as a spy, trying to find another spy in your travels. You'd start off completely indoctrinated into the thinking of your employers, perhaps some kind of argument is made about you doing the right thing and an all access pass to be as immoral as you want because everything you're doing is for the greater good. Of course, this part's predictable in that once you're let loose to fully embrace the worlds you're traveling through, you'd start doing quests and running into many different kinds of moral dilemmas. Some will sound easy and simple and make you roll your eyes in the beginning, because of all the things you already know about how to handle them. Then at a certain point the game subverts your expectations in assuming how simple and straightforward the game can be, by spiking these moral choices with something that ironically makes you see how stupid your original position on seeing things through the lens of your own character was. You're forced to work with people you once killed by the dozens, mainly just as a way to team up against the greater threats at large, and this is all while you're given a sidequest to actually base build not only a base, but a family from the ground up. A small community who've shrugged off their previous affiliations and very few of them will have been people who started off like you. I had this idea that it'd be one thing to have a certain people give up their old ways, but if their old ways were the only things keeping them alive in a physical sense, and you're trying to sever that lifeline?

And then in the ending(s) whatever that may be, they're all different but they all lead to a sequence where one way or another your PC dies and there's a heavy implication that whoever succeeds you will begin their line of thinking in the world you were sent to, but in reverse, so that they end up at their employer more or less understanding the greater context at large but is also killed at risk of knowing too much, leaving another person to succeed them, making a philosophical statement on how the more things change, the more things stay the same.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would be interested to see a spiritual successor to Darklands (you know, a fairly realistic depiction of the Middle Ages somewhere in Europe). It even could do without the fantasy elements. Failing that - pretty much the same thing, but set in the Gallic Wars period or a similar theme.
I was actually thinking that I would love a game like Kenshi (with a mix of exploration, combat, and settlement building), but in a medieval settings like Darklands.

rojay

Scholar
Something in space, maybe. But one without a Chose One this time like Kotor or Mass Effect. Maybe something akin to Wastelad?

I just would like to see more good non-medieval fantasy RPGs like VtM:B and Arcanum, I always thought it would be neat to see a western with tolkien-esque races and creatures, or how would a setting like The Witcher's develop with continental exploration and colonialism.

Out of curiosity, have you played the Shadowrun games?I'm playing Retuns right now and they could be the Tolkien-esque games you're looking for. There's also Greedfall for the colonialism bit.
I'd buy a crpg version of Traveller if it was any good, but I think most people interested in "space" want to play action games. I mean, I don't know if turn-based, isometric Mass Effect would have sold well, but I doubt it.

tky

Literate
[...] better writing or explorarion.
Sadly those are hard to come by. And with the ever increasing focus in over-monetization in the market, it's probably gonna get worse. RPGs already have to contend with graphics and voice-acting.

I'd buy a crpg version of Traveller if it was any good, but I think most people interested in "space" want to play action games. I mean, I don't know if turn-based, isometric Mass Effect would have sold well, but I doubt it.
Traveller might not be viable because it's really not that well known for advertisement purposes; I myself only know it very superficially. Starfinder would have a better shot, maybe, but I'm not much of a fan. Still I was thinking more in terms of XCom still being popular. It could work if they put something resonably decent and not too high expectations.

That said, yes trying to compete with action games would be fighting a lost battle before it starts. People will still drool over the next Call of Duty even if you played one you played them all.

agris

Arcane
Patron
A game like Duskers, except rather than playing the commander of a ship controlling robots via CLI to scavenge space wrecks, you are the admin of a Popular RPG Games Website and you command your janitors via memes.

Your only communications pathway to the janitors is through a rapid-scrolling blob of shit called YELLBOX, and you have to rapidly give the correct instructions through a series of correctly patterned meme images. Do the wrong thing and your notifications start piling up with people complaining. Notifications and inbox alerts open up an alternate form of gameplay that is similar to Papers, Please wherein you are presented with a person or persons who have some sad-sack bullshit story. They want you to do something to/for/against them/others/jannies, and it's up to you to determine what it is. Will you sentence them to 100 days of Star Stable, or just have them write your website's 7th review of Pillars of Eternity? spoiler alert: you'll probably ban them.

Either way, you'll be making someone miserable in...

RPG FORUM ADMIN-SIM: DOWN-UNDER EDITION.

tky

Literate
something single player set in a secret world esque setting
Like some kind of Beta Protocol?

listening to a brazilian play the vampire battle royale game on multiplayer was something else

'oh fuck man i just final death'd him in front of the humans i broke the masquerade and am being blood hunted now'

i had had several meetings with god by the end of that sentence
There's your mistake...

Also, Vampire the Masquerade is Battle Royale now!? WTF is Paradox doing!?

[...] better writing or explorarion.
Sadly those are hard to come by. And with the ever increasing focus in over-monetization in the market, it's probably gonna get worse. RPGs already have to contend with graphics and voice-acting.
Well it wouldn't need to be something big with fancy graphics trying to compete with the big releases, a shorter 2D game made by only a couple of people, if done well, would already be fine for me, but yeah they are hard to come by.

rojay

Scholar
Traveller might not be viable because it's really not that well known for advertisement purposes; I myself only know it very superficially. Starfinder would have a better shot, maybe, but I'm not much of a fan. Still I was thinking more in terms of XCom still being popular. It could work if they put something resonably decent and not too high expectations.

That said, yes trying to compete with action games would be fighting a lost battle before it starts. People will still drool over the next Call of Duty even if you played one you played them all.

I think there are a lot of nerds my age who remember Traveller fondly, and it's a pretty easy sell as a concept. Either way I'd prefer an adaptation of something like Traveller over a stripped down action-rpg with a franchise attached to sell more widgets..

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A game with at least two big cities where you can actually enter every building (some of the with a great number of floors even) and every room in every building. I'd explore the shit out of that, no matter the quality of the rest of the game.

Theme: Anything but steampunk

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
X3 universe combined with Mechwarrior Battletech universe. Then create a Mercenaries campaign with an RPG system for your pilots in space and on planets.

:bounce: *drifts off like a retard*

Darth Canoli

Arcane
A game with at least two big cities where you can actually enter every building (some of the with a great number of floors even) and every room in every building. I'd explore the shit out of that, no matter the quality of the rest of the game.

Theme: Anything but steampunk

ATOM RPG?

Well, arguably, there's just one big city but a lot of smaller settlements as well and dead city, if you like exploration.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
A first person rpg with improved combat mechanics based on Dark Messiah, stealth from Thief, character, inventory system similar to Deus Ex. It should also be mission based like Thief/Deus Ex with a decent story, with a few more choices and optional side missions. The setting should be similar to Thief's world. No open world bloat, no number bloat, no third person shit when you approach a ladder or cover or talk to someone.

Smerlus

Educated
Would love to see an Earthdawn videogame. An RPG with a bunch of horror elements also with more organic quest giving/adventuring. Games generally just have a main story and then have a bunch of NPCs that vomit quests your way. Very few games, if any just let you listen to people talk in a bar and then go explore to see if that conversation has any truth to it, read a book in the game and then go on an adventure to see if what was written was true, find a well-designed weapon/armor/amulet and do research/quests to unlock its magical abilities.

i've seen games do a couple of these things to middling effect. you walk by NPCs in a bar and all of a sudden a banner pops up saying you have a quest, or you read a book and a banner pops up. You find a magical item and have to kill 200 sewer rats to unlock a +5. I just want something less in your face and not so gamey.

I want enemies that are quests in themselves. touch an item and the screen does a weird effect. your character feels off but nothing noticeable is wrong. over the next few hours of game time/rests you think you're starting to see weird shit on your screen. it might be eyes on objects but it doesn't happen enough to actually be able to be confirmed. Eventually it starts to happen more and you realize that you've probably been cursed by something. So you go off to research what is going on with your character and how to stop it. This isn't the main quest and it may be something that not every player runs into but it turns into an adventure by itself as you figure out what is going on and how to stop it.

I want party members that can betray you. A horror-touched person in your group that seems alright, maybe even likeable but may have signs that something isn't quite right. Instead of them leading you on some quests to pick up flowers for the same-sex blacksmith for some dumb date they want to have, they're slowly luring you back into their master's lair. Or maybe you see the signs before hand and get rid of this member or try to find a way to cure them.

A town where an NPC gives you an item as soon as you enter the village. Then there are rumors of burglaries, robberies and murder. Next thing you know you're being attacked by a villager that wants what you were given and is willing to kill you for it. This starts a quest to find out what is going around in the town and how to stop it.

Or maybe a party member is cursed with an item where they're constantly getting stronger and more useful but acting stranger and stranger so you weigh the benefits of having a more effective team member vs what might happen to them in the long run.

Oh and then to be able to explore Parlainth would be great by itself.

Zenithsan

Educated
I think it would be nice to have any new rpg when the writers are actually cultured people, that were nurtured with the greats; Shakespeare, Homer, Bergman, Tarkovsky, etc. And not just a bunch of fucking idiots.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
A Don Quixote RPG where you go around crippling monks and robbing peasants while larping as a great hero. Bonus points if you get to accuse random NPCs of being Turks. Get the Knight of the Mirrors and the gentleman thief guy from the second book as party members.

There actually was a Don Quixote JRPG (for some bizarre fucking reason) and it's as strange as you'd expect:

But this one isn't good because you don't get to actually roleplay as a crazy man.

A Don Quixote RPG where you go around crippling monks and robbing peasants while larping as a great hero. Bonus points if you get to accuse random NPCs of being Turks. Get the Knight of the Mirrors and the gentleman thief guy from the second book as party members.

There actually was a Don Quixote JRPG (for some bizarre fucking reason) and it's as strange as you'd expect:

But this one isn't good because you don't get to actually roleplay as a crazy man.

Well, half of that stuff you can do in most RPGs already, so we aren't that far off.

Sotomonte

Educated
Well, it's not really something very original, but I would like to see some day an RPG based on the Hyborian age with party management and turn-based combat.

A game un which using magic would be dangerous, exploring ancient ruins where Lovecraftian horrors await, fighting against dark Stygian sorcerers, traveling from cold and wild Cimmeria to Zamora with its dark and evil towers or even the thick jungles of the Black Kingdoms, etc.

A simple man with simple tastes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom