Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dune: Spice Wars - 4X/RTS from Wartales developers

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The spice is PURPLE?

WTF is this shit?

Harthwain

Magister
The spice is PURPLE?

WTF is this shit?
In Children of Dune melange is described as violet or indigo:

A soft sharpness of melange came to his nostrils, the signal of a rich vein. They passed the leprous blotches of violet sand where a spiceblow had erupted and he held the worm firmly until they were well past the vein. The breeze, redolent with the gingery odor of cinnamon, pursued them for a time.

It was a gruel redolent with melange. Her hands moved quickly with the ladle and liquid indigo stained the sides of his bowl.
I have also seen it described as orange, dark reddish brown and blue.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The spice is PURPLE?

WTF is this shit?

A soft sharpness of melange came to his nostrils, the signal of a rich vein. They passed the leprous blotches of violet sand where a spiceblow had erupted and he held the worm firmly until they were well past the vein. The breeze, redolent with the gingery odor of cinnamon, pursued them for a time.

It was a gruel redolent with melange. Her hands moved quickly with the ladle and liquid indigo stained the sides of his bowl.

I also seem to recall some sort of greenish hue mentioned somewhere. But in the first novel it is definitely orange.

Harthwain

Magister
I also seem to recall some sort of greenish hue mentioned somewhere. But in the first novel it is definitely orange.
Do you mean green foam perhaps? Paul combined water with the paracompass and spice, which resulted in green foam.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The spice is PURPLE?

WTF is this shit?

It's orange.

And the eyes of Ibad are blue.

Anyway I actually find this game, early access as it is, to be truer to the source than the latest movie. Which isn't saying much.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
upload_2022-4-27_22-37-50.png

Some micro-issues remain with the naming of villages :lol:

Attachments

• upload_2022-4-27_22-36-3.png
    upload_2022-4-27_22-36-3.png
    453 KB · Views: 67
  • upload_2022-4-27_22-36-13.png
    upload_2022-4-27_22-36-13.png
    453 KB · Views: 62

Irata

Scholar
The Fremen, and Liet, wanted to create a paradise on Arrakis for religious reasons, and because fuck deserts. Not because they believed in neoliberal community movements and climate change. Their entire goal is climate change on a planetary scale.

I know nothing about the latest movie's interpretation of "Dune", but if they went with an ecology focus then my guess would be that humans turned Arrakis into a wasteland by harvesting the spice. So they're trying to turn the planet back to what it was. That would fit with the current climate change message. Assuming the writers even thought about it at all.

Having things like the Fremen and pirates be factions in the game isn't very encouraging as they don't really fit. They could have just created new houses if need be. Still, Dune 2 wasn't totally faithful to the books and it created a genre. Not that I expect this thing to even be close to that level of quality. I'm surprised when a game is simply fun nowadays.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The Fremen, and Liet, wanted to create a paradise on Arrakis for religious reasons, and because fuck deserts. Not because they believed in neoliberal community movements and climate change. Their entire goal is climate change on a planetary scale.

I know nothing about the latest movie's interpretation of "Dune", but if they went with an ecology focus then my guess would be that humans turned Arrakis into a wasteland by harvesting the spice. So they're trying to turn the planet back to what it was. That would fit with the current climate change message. Assuming the writers even thought about it at all.

Having things like the Fremen and pirates be factions in the game isn't very encouraging as they don't really fit. They could have just created new houses if need be. Still, Dune 2 wasn't totally faithful to the books and it created a genre. Not that I expect this thing to even be close to that level of quality. I'm surprised when a game is simply fun nowadays.

Ackshully the sandworms turned the planet into a desert. But yea in the latest movie Kynes is a chick :lol: Gotta get dem stronk wymyn characters in there.

Yeah the Fremen faction is annoying as fuck. Should have had house Ordos like Dune 2. Or at least Sardaukar or something.

Readher

Savant
So, I did some data mining, and the fifth faction (the one that will be introduced during EA for free to all owners) is House Corrino.

Faction name: Corrino
Faction reference name: Imperial

Leader: Shaddam IV
Advisors:
  • Irulan
  • Fenring
  • Wensicia
  • Aramsham
Units:
  • Imperial Troopers (I_Trooper)
  • Shock Troops (I_Soldier)
  • Armored Guards (I_Special)
  • Artillery Drone (I_Drone)
  • Sardaukar (I_Elite)
Do note that Sardaukar are already present in the game as a Landsraad mechanic - they will raid a faction if they don't pay spice tax 3 times. Those Sardaukar are a different unit to the Corrino one and use id Raider_Sardaukar, though they share the model and trait.

so the emperor will attack himself if he doesn't pay to himself what he asks to himself. intreadasting.

"81ST"?

Readher

Savant
so the emperor will attack himself if he doesn't pay to himself what he asks to himself. intreadasting.

"81ST"?
I imagine he's going to be exempt from spice tax and have some other mechanic instead.

And yes, he's the 81st Padishah Emperor. Here's his full description in the game's files:
Shaddam IV is the 81st Emperor of the Known Universe. Head of the famed House Corrino, he is also Leto Atreides' adoptive cousin, for whom he harbors fond feelings. Unfortunately, the current balance of power demands that he fights him as fiercely as any other foe.

Some more interesting stuff:
  1. Paul Atreides and Thufir Hawat are present in the files as Atreides advisors.
  2. "Minor" factions with no leader, advisors, units listed include:
  • Spacing Guild
  • Bene Gesserit
  • Minor Houses
  • Landsraad
  • Imperium
EDIT: I'm a moron and forgot that Hawat is already in the game, so it's just Paul that's hidden.

Last edited:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's funny because the whole expectation that an RTS will have three factions to choose from comes from Dune 2 inventing the Ordos. The book is very shy about describing combat to the point that everyone sleeps through the big battle. Dune 2 was way more about Desert Storm than the book but we're in this weird position now where people want gameplay like Dune 2 but authentic to the book even though these things are not compatible.

Naraya

Arcane
It's funny because the whole expectation that an RTS will have three factions to choose from comes from Dune 2 inventing the Ordos. The book is very shy about describing combat to the point that everyone sleeps through the big battle. Dune 2 was way more about Desert Storm than the book but we're in this weird position now where people want gameplay like Dune 2 but authentic to the book even though these things are not compatible.
I don't think this is targeted at Dune 2 crowd - the gameplay is nothing like Dune 2 anyway so they can do combat however the hell they like. What I really think should be implemented though is victory through diplomacy.

Readher

Savant
I don't think this is targeted at Dune 2 crowd - the gameplay is nothing like Dune 2 anyway so they can do combat however the hell they like. What I really think should be implemented though is victory through diplomacy.
You can win by dominating the Landsraad, which can be achieved without fighting (economy, influence, etc.).

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Yeah it's nothing like Dune 2. Closest thing I can think of is a very simplified version of Endless Legend. But in real time instead of turn-based.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Closest thing I can think of is a very simplified version of Endless Legend.
Can you elaborate on this? Which aspects you find simplified?

Only 4 or 5 types of military units per faction.

Towns can only have like 6 or so buildings each, out of a very limited selection and 4 military units (militia as they're called). These units can only defend and you can't control them directly. You can only build proper armies at your capital.

Tech tree has about 30 technologies (if that). And they only give minor bonuses.

Resources instead of the civ/endless model where they are per hex, in this game are only generated by the town center and buildings around it, placement of the buildings don't matter. Each region has only 1 special resource and it's just a modifier, eg. +50% to plasticrete production in the region etc. One of the resources is spice. It's not in every region and in fact is quite rare. Maybe every 5th or 6th region will have spice.

Etc. Very similar gameplay-wise but less of everything.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Of course, it's early access, they might add a lot of content later but I don't think so

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom