Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Star Citizen

Learned
So what's the consensus for the game so far? Any better than 1st one overall?
I feel that it's weaker than the first in errything that mattered as well as with the writing n mood, which took a massive dive from the first game's (writing wasn't great in ELEX but it had a sort of charm to it) but the world is still a joy to explore and very much worth playing if you enjoyed the first game.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's better overall, but combat is still bad. But at least Elex 2 isn't as bland as the original and has *some* *somewhat* memorable characters. The story is crap though and full of idiocies. The exploration is fun and quests vary a lot, but are mostly enjoyable. Factions (even boring ones) are more interesting and less one-dimensional as before.

At least I can see myself replaying Elex 2 one day when I'm bored, which I can't say about Elex.

Gothic > NotR > Archolos > G2 vanilla > Risen 2 > Risen > Elex 2 >>>>> Elex >>>>> Risen 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gothic 3/Arcanias/FG

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
AMD-GPUs got shafted. Their driver doesn't support deferred_renderer and can't run the game properly at all.
That's not true.
Of course AMD GPUs support deferred rendering. I have an AMD GPU and play plenty of games that use deferred rendering.
That's a rendering technique that is decades old by now and has always been supported across the board because it doesn't require anything specific to a GPU. You can do it on mobile, too.
Interesting. I read that the current drivers don't support it, though. On another note, downloading DX12 public beta.

EDIT: Quick test shows around 20-30% performance gain. Also you can change gfx settings now without the game going nuts. Now it begs the question why they didn't release it that way in the first place.

Last edited:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I take it at least waiting for that DX12 patch is the way to go? I've been meaning to jump in at release, but the posts of the first few brave souls who did swayed me to wait.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I take it at least waiting for that DX12 patch is the way to go? I've been meaning to jump in at release, but the posts of the first few brave souls who did swayed me to wait.
You can jump in right now. The public beta looks promising, it's also more stable.

soulburner

Cipher
Well then, it appears the DX12 beta patch solves all my performance issues. Areas with 40 and less fps are now a solid 60 with vsync.
It does look like the AA is broken, though, all available methods produce a very jagged picture, barely better than without AA. Will test 1440p with DLDSR tomorrow.
I'm excited to return to Elex 2 then.

JDR13

Arcane
I feel that it's weaker than the first in errything that mattered as well as with the writing n mood, which took a massive dive from the first game's (writing wasn't great in ELEX but it had a sort of charm to it) but the world is still a joy to explore and very much worth playing if you enjoyed the first game.

I don't agree that it's weaker than Elex 1. I think it's slightly better in some aspects and slightly worse in others. The jetpack is pretty fun once you get it fully upgraded, and there's more vertical exploration. There's also an even greater variety of enemies, and that aspect was already strong in the first game.

The only thing that really disappoints me is the skill system. Especially the faction skills. They're mostly generic and uninspired. The system feels like it wasn't finished.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
And dropped. No matter how much they fix performance, the core game is bad.
I was sent to stop the advance of hostiles.
Go kill flies and boars near the Crater.
Go kill purple dinosaurs near the world heart.
This is where I draw the line, this is where I quit.
All of the game's problems hit me with a crescendo.
Dark places are pitch black, companion's ai is ludicrous, nauseating camera and unresponsive controls.
Huge input lag, it's like I'm streaming the game and not playing it from my hard drive.
Even my boredom is not strong enough to alleviate the mishaps of this turd.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Does anyone know why should Hero's Call be one of the most powerful weapons in the game? The damage number doesn't suggest, nor does the weapon seem to have any special effects beyond the fire build-up (quite a few other melee weapons do that too). I've seen the mentioned statement somewhere a while ago, I can't google it up anymore...

vota DC

Augur
So except Jetpack Elex 1 Is better? Main quest was more various?

I don't agree that it's weaker than Elex 1. I think it's slightly better in some aspects and slightly worse in others. The jetpack is pretty fun once you get it fully upgraded, and there's more vertical exploration. There's also an even greater variety of enemies, and that aspect was already strong in the first game.

The only thing that really disappoints me is the skill system. Especially the faction skills. They're mostly generic and uninspired. The system feels like it wasn't finished.

Also Cleric skills are unexplained....why they have resistance to the alien elemental attack?
Melee has just +10 and backstab while ranged has generic +10 and some skills with +20....no idea why they didn't give knockback or other thing in skills.

Star Citizen

Learned
So except Jetpack Elex 1 Is better? Main quest was more various?

Also Cleric skills are unexplained....why they have resistance to the alien elemental attack?
Melee has just +10 and backstab while ranged has generic +10 and some skills with +20....no idea why they didn't give knockback or other thing in skills.

If you liked ELEX 1 you'll like ELEX 2. I find the dialogue to be a bit more cringe and the world with slightly less character than the first game's but by all means you'll get the enjoyment you want out of it if you liked the first.

JDR13

Arcane
Does anyone know why should Hero's Call be one of the most powerful weapons in the game? The damage number doesn't suggest, nor does the weapon seem to have any special effects beyond the fire build-up (quite a few other melee weapons do that too). I've seen the mentioned statement somewhere a while ago, I can't google it up anymore...

It's not. You'll find weapons that are much stronger than Hero's Call.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Enemy placement is ridiculous.
Sometimes the game will spawn you near some companion quest and you're about to kill mutants.
But since the game is packed with enemies, the moment you approach they will start fighting some other monster and kill each other.
This happens all the time.
I don't know why should we even form a resistance when the wildlife of Magalan is strong enough to repel the invasion.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wow, I must say, the game is poorly optimized.

I might be playing it on an aged potato,but last year it managed to run Kingdom Come: Deliverance on max settings and only chopped during night combats with numerous enemies and light sources. And Elex is certainly not a prettier game than KCD.

It's not so jarring in the wilderness (while certain lag is there, noticeable especially when I try to precisely measure my jumps with jetpack) but becomes a slideshow in the settlements. Ridiculous for a game with such visuals.

In order to check if my rig did not get old & senile I installed Horizon: Zero Dawn and ran it on max settings. And surprise, surprise, it plays buttery smooth with more more detailed and beautiful presentation. Actually, I might play that instead.

Piranha Bytes, you were the chosen one! You were supposed to bring incline to RPGs, not make me enjoy Playstation ports!

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Could it be that Björn Pankratz isn't the visionary mastermind we all thought he was? Could it be time for him to step aside to make room for younger upstarts like Chris Avellone?

:stunned:

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
I just can't get into this. Not sure if it's because Archolos & Elden Ring spoiled me, or if it's just bad. Maybe I can request a username change.

Damn, I didn't count on this happening. Now I've got no filler before my 3rd Elden Ring playthrough. Maybe I must read a book. :argh:

I just can't get into this. Not sure if it's because Archolos & Elden Ring spoiled me, or if it's just bad. Maybe I can request a username change.

Damn, I didn't count on this happening. Now I've got no filler before my 3rd Elden Ring playthrough. Maybe I must read a book. :argh:
Outward: Definitive Edition coming out this month or the next!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbkgIDI5KXg&ab_channel=KochMediaUK&Ireland

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom