Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova Edition

Brad is a piece of shit CK3 fanboy. He deserves for his company to go bankrupt.

I hate to break it to you, but Brad Wardell is so terribad that he is already financially set for life and has so much "fuck you" money that he can ignore the SJW cancel mobs.
Fiscal success doesn't make great developer. The best developer can be simultaneously both best and extremely poor.
sirtech
:despair:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Brad is a piece of shit CK3 fanboy. He deserves for his company to go bankrupt.

I hate to break it to you, but Brad Wardell is so terribad that he is already financially set for life and has so much "fuck you" money that he can ignore the SJW cancel mobs.
Fiscal success doesn't make great developer. The best developer can be simultaneously both best and extremely poor.
sirtech
:despair:

Also Brad is rich from Impulse and the software side of Stardock, not from the games.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I mean it is pretty easy and mostly performative. Takes no time or effort really. Are you sure you want to support my claim about your lack of imagination so well? Also no shit? Like are you retarded?

Dude, all I did was point out Brad Wardell is financially set and you literally responded with, in order:

* Brad Wardell is a loser because he likes CK3

* George W Bush is a war criminal

* Ray F (me) has no imagination because I chose to remake my favorite game from the 90s AS A HOBBY

Your response was stupid, so I ignored your last two points because I assumed you were having some kind of seizure and temporarily lost the ability to think coherently

When you call me (or anyone else) "retarded" it's pretty obvious that you are projecting.

Everyone who likes CK3 is a worthless garbage person. Of course you can ignore that in the case of random video games players because they don't matter. But a game developer who looks at CK2, CK3, and the state of the genre and thinks CK3 is great? 100% deserve their company to go bankrupt. You may or may not be aware that companies and personal wealth are separate. As you are a retarded person I can't be sure if you know that. It isn't like Brad's life would be ruined. He'd still be filthy rich, although from Impulse and Windows UI software, their games were profitable but not exactly flying off the shelves.

CK3 is garbage. Aside from secrets all they added was trash. Lol what if the whole world was gay. What if people were nude orgy bros? What if we had 3d models that add nothing to the game? They could have added all kinds of cool gameplay and instead they added garbage. That wasn't a limitation of technical capability. That is what they want for their games more than gameplay. Brad spending 100s of hours on CK3 makes him trash. Especially as a dev.

And you riding his dick? Even worse?

Suppose I am bitter, jealous, and retarded as you say? What motivates you to simp for Brad so hard then? He won't see my posts, if he did he wouldn't care. If he did care he could defend himself just fine in the world where he is awesome and great. So why are you riding his dick? Your posts are far more petty and pointless than mine if we assume you are right about me. If I am sad and pathetic you are much more so based on your own logic.

If I was Brad while I was wiping away the tears over mean RPG Codex posters I'd wonder why I couldn't get better simps.

Last edited:

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
What motivates you to simp for Brad so hard then? He won't see my posts, if he did he wouldn't care. If he did care he could defend himself just fine in the world where he is awesome and great. So why are you riding his dick? Your posts are far more petty and pointless than mine if we assume you are right about me. If I am sad and pathetic you are much more so based on your own logic.

lol.... when you said you hope he goes bankrupt, I literally just pointed out that he is already financially set. That's it. That's what triggered all of your rage.

It's hilarious how easily you became unhinged over something so simple

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
What motivates you to simp for Brad so hard then? He won't see my posts, if he did he wouldn't care. If he did care he could defend himself just fine in the world where he is awesome and great. So why are you riding his dick? Your posts are far more petty and pointless than mine if we assume you are right about me. If I am sad and pathetic you are much more so based on your own logic.

lol.... when you said you hope he goes bankrupt, I literally just pointed out that he is already financially set. That's it. That's what triggered all of your rage.

It's hilarious how easily you became unhinged over something so simple

That's quite obviously not true. Like people can see your post.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
How come you guys aren't talking about this?

The Terran Alliance is the human civilization. The humans created hyper-drive based on the old stargate designs, given to them by the Arceans

https://galciv.fandom.com/wiki/Campaign

GalCiv 4 is in EA and I am really looking hopeful to a new campaign.

Earlier entries in the series included a single campaign story and then a separate sandbox mode. In Galactic Civilizations IV, the campaign is gone. In its place is a vastly larger epic that could never be contained in a hundred playthroughs, let alone a single one. These stories, now called missions, originate from the characters and events occurring through a given playthrough. The result being that each game is designed to feel like an epic story.

https://www.galciv4.com/article/504742/galciv-iv-info-guide

It looks like they will be doing the same thing as Endless Space 2?

I loved the campaigns in the older GalCiv games and I love the space opera vibes it brought and it is better than ever. I really hope they don't fuck up the campaign. It does have potential, but the issue is will it be realised?

Norfleet

Most space games seem to have taken the MOO route of point to point. It’s not hard to understand why. Every tile, even in space, uses RAM. Think how small Civ maps were back in the 90s. Since GalCiv was on OS/2, we had entire MEGA-bytes of memory to work with. Even in GalCiv III, those huge maps consume a lot of RAM.
This argument is basically bullshit, because that's not why. Space games are typically point-to-point because of the very nature of space terrain: Vast swathes of featureless empty void with specific points of interest. There is absolutely no reason at all why there has to be a "tile" of emptiness, though: See "Stars!", a game which lets you go anywhere arbitrarily in the featureless void of empty space, without tiles, and with the RAM restrictions of the the Win16 era.

Temaperacl

Erudite
This argument is basically bullshit, because that's not why. Space games are typically point-to-point because of the very nature of space terrain: Vast swathes of featureless empty void with specific points of interest. There is absolutely no reason at all why there has to be a "tile" of emptiness, though: See "Stars!", a game which lets you go anywhere arbitrarily in the featureless void of empty space, without tiles, and with the RAM restrictions of the the Win16 era.
Quite. Even with tiles, there is no reason they have to use memory to store them unless they are actually being used at a given time Efficient storages of sparse matrices has been a thing since very early on. Not saying bag programmers don't store them as naive arrays, but there is no reason for them to.

Civ maps, used as an example earlier are different in that they are not empty. Each tile has a terrain type. Depending on how things if distributed, the best data structure for it could be an array (or equivalent) since that lacks the overhead of other storage schemes and brings other advantages. In any case, the relevant part of the comparison is that the content of the maps is not equivalent.

Executr

Cipher
Stardock Announces April 26th Release Date for Galactic Civilizations IV

Get in the beta now

Stardock announced an April 26th release date for Galactic Civilizations IV today. The newest installment of the award-winning space 4X strategy sandbox game series takes the best of what its predecessors had to offer and adds new features like multi-sector maps, the ability to customize your civilization mid-game via policies, internal factions, a unique mission/quest system, and so much more.

As the all-powerful leader of a spacefaring civilization, players will seek out new star systems and discover the exciting potential of the subspace realm. With over a dozen starting civilizations to choose from – plus the ability to create unique custom civilizations from scratch - the possibilities for each playthrough are endless, leaving players with a truly unique experience every time they start up a new game.

Galactic Civilizations IV is the result of years of thinking about the exciting innovations that have been occurring in strategy games,” said Brad Wardell, Stardock CEO. “We want to give players the ultimate turn-based strategy experience, and we’ve accomplished this by adding in tons of new features that add to the depth and scope of the game while incorporating feedback over several alpha and beta testing phases.”

For nearly 30 years, the Galactic Civilizations series has focused on four main pillars: a simulated universe, strong AI opponents, rich lore, and multiple paths to victory. Galactic Civilizations IV supports this approach through several new features.

Multi-sector maps add a new depth to the scope of Galactic Civilizations IV. While players will still be able to play a smaller map, the ability to span an adventure across an enormous map with multiple sectors gives a true feeling of galactic conquest and exploration. Each sector is connected by subspace streams that will allow the player to travel between them.

While the idea of citizens was introduced in Galactic Civilizations III, their role was not as distinct as it is now. Citizens have individual approval ratings and keeping them happy is important – a disloyal and unhappy governor might just take their planet and corresponding colonies with them and start a new empire if the player isn’t careful. The story of the game changes depending on which characters are recruited and how their various backstories manifest throughout.

Galactic Achievements solve the age-old problem of a player seeing a clear trajectory to victory that is locked behind another couple hours of gameplay. Historically, many players quit at this point and don’t bother finishing their game because they “know they are going to win,” but it’s hardly a satisfactory victory. With this new feature, players can take on a challenge to earn “prestige points” that will go toward a total necessary for them to win the game. This cuts down on the “grind” of late game and allows a story to come to a much more interesting conclusion.

The concept of the Core Worlds system was introduced to reduce micromanagement. Previously, players would have to manage each world they conquered individually. When a player colonizes a subpar world, it will feed into a core world that the player has already established. With this system, players will directly oversee a lower number of worlds, but still receive the benefits of colonizing and conquering as many as possible.

To further support a unique experience for every game of Galactic Civilizations IV, players will now be able to set and update policies and issue executive orders during gameplay. Policies allow a player to shift priorities as they play by choosing between different buffs and focuses, while executive orders allow the player to spend a new resource called control to do things like print money or draft colonies.

There are many other features that comprise the Galactic Civilizations IV experience, including several new additions for helping newer players. An in-game tutorial and advisors that offer strategic and tactical advice make getting started easier than ever before. Many old and beloved features from previous games – including the ship designer and civilization creator – are also included.

Galactic Civilizations IV will be available on
April 26th, 2022 at www.galciv4.com

Design your own ships and civilizations!

Take on big Galactic Challenges for prestige points and seal your victory.

Trade with other alien civilizations. Make friends - or enemies, that's up to you.

Enjoy your ship battles in full cinematic glory!

https://www.galciv4.com/article/511536/galactic-civilizations-iv-releasing-on-april-26th

since when is ign reliable? but well, if for once they got it right, i'm not surprised at all. after all, which good games have actually came out as an epic exclusive? none that i know of.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I didn't even realize this was being made until they sent me the newsletter. Epic exclusive? Nah.

Alpharius

Scholar
So i decided to play this for a bit since i almost immediately dropped galciv 2 when it came out and didn't touch 3 and thought: well maybe i was wrong and the new one wouldn't be bad at all. Cause nobody would make the same shit 3 times right? Such a thing has never happened before right?

The laser 1 -> laser 2 -> laser 3 thing improved somewhat, now a new level ocassionaly gives a new weapon in addition to improving existing weapons.

Economy system is best described by this picture: :what:

So at the start of the game i have Earth that has 4 minerals. Production is minerals multiplied by approval and then modified by workers, improvements, etc.
Worker with 6 dilligence adds +6%, one planetary improvement district may add more or less the same (usually more) depending on upgrade level, tech, adjacency bonuses, terrain etc/
Modified Earth industrial production is 4.4.

Nearby is Mars with 2 minerals (+1 if i pick a relevant option during colonization event).
If i colonize Mars (can be done on 2nd turn) and leave it as colony - Earth magically get a +2.84 minerals and now its production is 7.5. Mars if its a colony can't be controlled directly and i don't even hav to pay any upkeep for it.
All the rest of the Mars resources is also transferred to Earth (research, income, influence, food, control) and modified by Earth's population and and buildings same as production.

Now if i make Mars a core world i get a second planet with 3 minerals and industrial production of 1.15 (snce it has 1 worker, no improvements, low approval etc). Also it has 3 tiles for imporvements and nonexistent population capacity so it'll likely never be close to Earth's output. Earth stays at production of 4.4 in this case, and i also need to hire a governor and pay upkeep for colony center building on Mars.

So its like for core worlds the economy system kinda tries to be realistic, but for colonies the extraction and transportion of resources is abstracted away.

I found that usually a planet is either obviously intended to be a colony like Mars (1-3 tiles and population capacity) or a core world (lots of tiles and special resources).

Also since all production is multiplied by approval, an additional entertainer colonist usually increases production much more than an additional worker colonist. (They can switch jobs instantly with no cost). Though that also depends on the colonist since they use different stats for production and entertainment.

Another "interesting" mechanic is anomalies, particlulary "ship graveyard" one. Humans get one exploration ship at the beginning that can investigate them, with a possibility of getting another straight away by assigning a commander to a special prototype ship (is built instantly for no cost, cant be rebilt if destroyed (?), gets special bonuses depending on commander, so like a "hero" ship).

So by exploring these ship graveyards one gets a random free ship in three turns, colonizer, star base consturctor, probe, another explorer ship, or a combat ship. There are lots of these graveyards and the new ones spawn once in a while. Beacuse of them by turn 115 i've built almost no ships in Earth shipyards, have about 6 explorers, built all the starbases that i needed (4 spare constructors relax near Earth) and have so much combat ships orbiting each planet that AI is concerned by my military buildup. And the graveyards keep respawning. :hahano:

Other than that seems similar to galciv 2. Culture borders expanding through space and "flipping" planet ownership, shitty auto combat with 3 weapon types and 3 defence types, strategic resources like in Stellaris i guess (they are quantifiable so you get +0.3 awesomium per turn from 3 mines and a new ship may require 1, instead of a swordsman requiring one iron mine in regular civ).

This is on version 1.01.343914b that i've got on the high seas, so perhaps something is different in the latest version but i doubt it.

:2/5:
Perhaps worth one playthrough until the novelty wears off.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So i decided to play this for a bit since i almost immediately dropped galciv 2 when it came out and didn't touch 3 and thought: well maybe i was wrong and the new one wouldn't be bad at all. Cause nobody would make the same shit 3 times right? Such a thing has never happened before right?

The laser 1 -> laser 2 -> laser 3 thing improved somewhat, now a new level ocassionaly gives a new weapon in addition to improving existing weapons.

Economy system is best described by this picture: :what:

So at the start of the game i have Earth that has 4 minerals. Production is minerals multiplied by approval and then modified by workers, improvements, etc.
Worker with 6 dilligence adds +6%, one planetary improvement district may add more or less the same (usually more) depending on upgrade level, tech, adjacency bonuses, terrain etc/
Modified Earth industrial production is 4.4.

Nearby is Mars with 2 minerals (+1 if i pick a relevant option during colonization event).
If i colonize Mars (can be done on 2nd turn) and leave it as colony - Earth magically get a +2.84 minerals and now its production is 7.5. Mars if its a colony can't be controlled directly and i don't even hav to pay any upkeep for it.
All the rest of the Mars resources is also transferred to Earth (research, income, influence, food, control) and modified by Earth's population and and buildings same as production.

Now if i make Mars a core world i get a second planet with 3 minerals and industrial production of 1.15 (snce it has 1 worker, no improvements, low approval etc). Also it has 3 tiles for imporvements and nonexistent population capacity so it'll likely never be close to Earth's output. Earth stays at production of 4.4 in this case, and i also need to hire a governor and pay upkeep for colony center building on Mars.

So its like for core worlds the economy system kinda tries to be realistic, but for colonies the extraction and transportion of resources is abstracted away.

I found that usually a planet is either obviously intended to be a colony like Mars (1-3 tiles and population capacity) or a core world (lots of tiles and special resources).

Also since all production is multiplied by approval, an additional entertainer colonist usually increases production much more than an additional worker colonist. (They can switch jobs instantly with no cost). Though that also depends on the colonist since they use different stats for production and entertainment.

Another "interesting" mechanic is anomalies, particlulary "ship graveyard" one. Humans get one exploration ship at the beginning that can investigate them, with a possibility of getting another straight away by assigning a commander to a special prototype ship (is built instantly for no cost, cant be rebilt if destroyed (?), gets special bonuses depending on commander, so like a "hero" ship).

So by exploring these ship graveyards one gets a random free ship in three turns, colonizer, star base consturctor, probe, another explorer ship, or a combat ship. There are lots of these graveyards and the new ones spawn once in a while. Beacuse of them by turn 115 i've built almost no ships in Earth shipyards, have about 6 explorers, built all the starbases that i needed (4 spare constructors relax near Earth) and have so much combat ships orbiting each planet that AI is concerned by my military buildup. And the graveyards keep respawning. :hahano:

Other than that seems similar to galciv 2. Culture borders expanding through space and "flipping" planet ownership, shitty auto combat with 3 weapon types and 3 defence types, strategic resources like in Stellaris i guess (they are quantifiable so you get +0.3 awesomium per turn from 3 mines and a new ship may require 1, instead of a swordsman requiring one iron mine in regular civ).

This is on version 1.01.343914b that i've got on the high seas, so perhaps something is different in the latest version but i doubt it.

:2/5:
Perhaps worth one playthrough until the novelty wears off.

Well that don't call it Galactic "Civilization" for nothing.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
1iMm9Cw.png

Space Pirate tits. Gonna check what GalCiv is up to, but I don't have particularly high expectations. The previous game was worth a single playthrough but was otherwise pretty meh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom