Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline When did West begin to hate turn-based?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Can anyone with a straight face really tell me the combat of Fallout is better than Baldur's Gate merely because it's turn based? Baldur's Gate has much more interesting, strategic combat. And... It shouldn't. Strategic combat should be the feature of turn-based.

Baldur's Gate has full party control and a magic system, Fallout doesn't and shouldn't. Biggest problem with Fallout combat is the ~balance~ (both too easy and too difficult in unenjoyable ways) and the speed even with animations set to fastest.

I remember that at some point suddenly all the mainstream game journalists and gamers(who parroted their shit) suddenly began to hate turn-based combat. It became "outdated" and anything other than RTwP was deemed unacceptable for current year. What caused this change?
it happened around the time the 1st baldurs gate came out, I think it is partially due to a generation raised playing action video games all the time on their TV and losing patience combined with game companies thinking they could sell more copies if they combined action combat w/RPG's.... also Diablo probably helped this trend come along too..

in general though the more popular something becomes (video games in this case) the dumber the average participant becomes.. until today you have people who literally can't read a sentence without becoming enraged and offended they were made to read instead of having the sentence read and acted out for them by some Hollywood actor or something. They are likely to react to this by rage quitting the offensive text to go smash some awesome buttons....

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Thread is weirdly out of date. This was true for a decade or so, but now we're inundated with nu-XCOM clones and Hard West and that stupid game where you play as a boar and that other stupid game by the Grimrock devs and all sorts of other nu-XCOM ripoff crap. All of which is ignoring that nu-XCOM and its ilk are abominations that are regressions from what was being done 20 years ago in fucking DOS games. The reality is that turn-based games are improbably popular again, but in a hideously reduced form for YouTube streamer idiots, kinda like how 'Boomer Shooters' are improbably popular again due to the same.

The real question is why the 'West' hates actual turn-based wargames (X-Com) but loves thinly veiled Skinner's box / gambling machines (XCOM).
It doesn't. Because X-Com is not a wargame. More importantly no one hates it because no one plays a game of 30 years today. At least not in numbers that matter.
There isn't any "gambling machine", those games are the exact same genre. One might be better, or even much better, than the other but that's it. So many people on the Codex who mindlessly jumps onto nuXCOM's system haters bandwagon. Yes the game wasn't very good, certainly much worse than the original X-com. It doesn't mean that you can't make a good game without granular movement/a lot of action point system. It only means that Firaxis couldn't pull it off. Even basing on nuxcom flawed system itself you can make something way better - even as a modder - namely Long War. Even nuXCOM system can result in great tactical play. Thinking that dozens of action points is absolutely necessary to have a good TB game is nonsense. It is needed if you have a (semi-)realistic game in mind. If you want a game that is more abstract and game-y other system might work too. However to have a good system you need talented people who can create one and then build around it.

As to turn-based games being reduced now compared to 30 years ago. I played them then and now. There was some great ones back then - like for example X-Com and there are some great ones now, like for example Battle Brothers*. Reasons why it looks like decline today? First one is that we don't remember the bad games from 30 years ago, only the good ones, which is natural. Another and more important is the fact that in 2010s-2020s every moron can make AND distribute any abomination of a game thanks to Steam. It results in the market being flooded with bad clones of successful games. It was the case even before digital distribution but not nearly to the same extent. In other words, today we are flooded by shit while in 1990s-2000s we just walked in it. But there are diamonds in the shit to be found still.

*A system with 9 action points where movement costs 2~3 and attack 4~6, do the math yourselves.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There should always be dance move ap abilities so you can dance and good taunt moves. I wanted my Kender to tell Soth to go fuck himself with a mace of disruption up his skele-hole. Eat it Soth! EAT IT!!!

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
For crpgs, the genre was considered dead and the game that was considered to have saved it was BG. The entire thing then shifted to focus on "playing a role", funneh companions with relationship systems, romances and whatnot. I don't think combat was given that much consideration in general, let alone making some interesting tb system with lots of options. The fact that biggish classic crpg releases that happened post-BG were failures for many different reasons sealed the deal.

For strategy games, there were definitely people who genuinely though RT is the way forward. I remember a well-known local strategy expert (who propagated prestigious shit like Steel Panthers etc) wrote a yuge article in the most popular mag about tv being unrealistic poo poo and rt bringing immense incline. The game that triggered it was SM's Gettysburg afair. Contrary to crpgs, though, for strategies rts players and tb players were two largely separate audiences, which saved it despite the latter not being particularly big. Also, rts fad quickly collapsed under its own weight.

Blaming any of it on consoles is weird, typical console rpg is tb and has remained so. What you can blame on consoles is infecting western tb games with jrpg-like, not particulary gr8, systems. But that's another discussion.

Trippy

Novice
Thread is weirdly out of date. This was true for a decade or so, but now we're inundated with nu-XCOM clones and Hard West and that stupid game where you play as a boar and that other stupid game by the Grimrock devs and all sorts of other nu-XCOM ripoff crap. All of which is ignoring that nu-XCOM and its ilk are abominations that are regressions from what was being done 20 years ago in fucking DOS games. The reality is that turn-based games are improbably popular again, but in a hideously reduced form for YouTube streamer idiots, kinda like how 'Boomer Shooters' are improbably popular again due to the same.

The real question is why the 'West' hates actual turn-based wargames (X-Com) but loves thinly veiled Skinner's box / gambling machines (XCOM).
It doesn't. Because X-Com is not a wargame. More importantly no one hates it because no one plays a game of 30 years today. At least not in numbers that matter.
There isn't any "gambling machine", those games are the exact same genre. One might be better, or even much better, than the other but that's it. So many people on the Codex who mindlessly jumps onto nuXCOM's system haters bandwagon. Yes the game wasn't very good, certainly much worse than the original X-com. It doesn't mean that you can't make a good game without granular movement/a lot of action point system. It only means that Firaxis couldn't pull it off. Even basing on nuxcom flawed system itself you can make something way better - even as a modder - namely Long War. Even nuXCOM system can result in great tactical play. Thinking that dozens of action points is absolutely necessary to have a good TB game is nonsense. It is needed if you have a (semi-)realistic game in mind. If you want a game that is more abstract and game-y other system might work too. However to have a good system you need talented people who can create one and then build around it.

As to turn-based games being reduced now compared to 30 years ago. I played them then and now. There was some great ones back then - like for example X-Com and there are some great ones now, like for example Battle Brothers*. Reasons why it looks like decline today? First one is that we don't remember the bad games from 30 years ago, only the good ones, which is natural. Another and more important is the fact that in 2010s-2020s every moron can make AND distribute any abomination of a game thanks to Steam. It results in the market being flooded with bad clones of successful games. It was the case even before digital distribution but not nearly to the same extent. In other words, today we are flooded by shit while in 1990s-2000s we just walked in it. But there are diamonds in the shit to be found still.

*A system with 9 action points where movement costs 2~3 and attack 4~6, do the math yourselves.

I agree with a lot of your points, but this isn't strictly nostalgia glasses. I would offer this as a counterpoint: If I had a child, I would have no problem with them playing X-Com. However, I would be reticent to have them playing XCOM. X-Com has a layer of complexity that requires abstract thinking to 'git gud.' XCOM largely just requires a gambling mentality to 'git gud.'

In order to beat X-Com at a high difficulty setting, you have to understand several layers of strategic complexity and adapt to dynamic situations on a tactical level. XCOM reifies all this to 50/25% cover mechanics. It's a gambling machine. You learn how to 'hedge your bets' with various percentages. X-com is ironically, despite being decades older, a much more complex ballistic simulation that requires you to think similar to a wargame -- in that you devise the roles of each of your soldiers based on your resources and their skills, etc, and take shots based on situational awareness and not just purely on some simplified cover mechanic. XCOM simplifies all this out in the favor of just having a perpetual yes/no/yolo gambling machine. At the risk of getting really deep into the weeds here, X-Com actually simulates where your shots go and what unexpected effects that will cause, whereas XCOM only cares about whether your shots 'hit or not.' It's literally only a did it hit, yes or no? It's a gambling game. The original X-Com is more a wargame in the sense that your missed shot might end up setting that wheat field aflame which will enormously, tactically alter the way you play the rest of the mission and your preparation for further such unforseen circumstances. XCOM doesn't give a shit. You either hit the enemy or you didn't. There's really no comparison.

I agree that a lot of the rose-tinted glasses here are nonsense. I just recently played Ambermoon for the first time and found it to be tedious, simplistic pablum. I get the accusation that actually a lot of older games were more crap (or, more politely, 'of your precious childhood') than people acknowledge. But I know X-Com in my bones, and honestly have a lot of problems with its overworld design especially, and yet can still acknowledge that XCOM is a tedious cocaine-mentality addiction-based bullshit version of it.

I get that crap games were also released 20 years ago. But can you answer why a DOS X-Com game released 30 years ago is so much more mechanically complex than an XCOM game released a decade ago? The correct answer, I suspect, is an increasing societal preferance for raw gambling mechanics and a disinterest in actual wargaming mechanics. This would also answer why XCOM is a much, much bigger seller than X-Com ever was, even including inflation. And if this isn't enough, please explain to me how XCOM: Chimera Squad is not the ultimate example of this decline?

Trippy

Novice

Is it "the West" though?

As much as I would like to credit Larian for making TB RPGs popular again, the asians have kept TB alive when it was dead here. And so it is their design and style that is the biggest influence on current players, and why TB had an audience when it made its comeback in western RPGs.

And that is why TB nowadays is shallow or a "gambling machine". jRPGs are like that. Moves are a combo of over-the-top shiny and flashy shit, updating numbers everywhere measuring the size of your... successes, every roll a chance for a screen-shattering crit.

I totally agree. That's why I put 'West' in ironic sinular quotes.

I mean, I love Japan. I speak Japanese. It's also where pachinko machines were invented, and where the shocking majority of people spend their evenings playing stupid fucking pachinko machines. JRPGs are basically 50% pachinko machines, 50% recycled Wizardry mechanics.

The vast majority of western gaming just hates turn-based mechanics and won't buy it at all, but every now and then there's a trend towards gambling mechanics that tend to masquerade as DND gameplay, like right now (or at least for the past few years; I think the new From Software-derived Elden Ring-obsessed 'git 'gud' mentality is overtaking the casual space currently).

Saduj

Arcane
There are many examples that prove that something isn't necessarily true just because the people who claim it is are the loudest. The idea that turn based was so hated as to make a game commercially unviable was always asinine and it was inevitable that this falsehood would be recognized as such. People give too much credit to loud morons so it just took longer than it should have.

FriendlyMerchant

When a "turn-based" "game" is just another cutscene simulator whose gameplay is just an extremely simplified version of the gameplay from a game from 1986, then it's pretty bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom