Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Holomento Early Access on GOG and Steam

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Holomento; Sean Weech

Holomento has entered Early Access on Steamhttps://steampowered.com and also GOG. Dubbing itself an action RPG, which the trailer confirms, it appears to have a few interesting mechanics like world rebuilding. I'm guessing there's 7 classes to choose from judging by a painting on a wall. It's currently on sale for $16.99, which is 15% off. Anyway, stuff:

Holomento is an Indie Permadeath Action-RPG focusing on the dangerous quest of passing through the mysterious Eventide Hollow – and rebuilding it step by step. A horrible curse was laid upon the land and Eventide Hollow fell into despair. The source of the curse was also its only protection from it… the Holomento.

The Holomento traps the souls of all who possess it, the mysterious book affixes itself to those who seek passage through the Hollow. If the Traveler dies, their soul is also added to the Holomento before it returns to its resting place awaiting the next Traveler.

Seems like a neat idea for a game, though I'm not entirely sure I'd care much for the combat. I'm especially not sure I'd care for that combat and perma-death at the same time.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I find that art style repugnant. I have been playing Gedonia here and there. I think one game with that shit is quite enough.

Skdursh

Savant
I think this game is doing itself a huge disservice with that god-awful art-style. I'm not even a graphics whore, I've played some of the ugliest games known to mankind and loved them, but this looks like the videogame equivalent of the "inclusive", "current-year", designed-by-a-black-gay-trans-jewish-crippled-frighteningly-obese-health-at-all-sizes kind of corporate dystopia art-style that's been all the rage with all the "big tech" companies the past few years.

Basically this shit.
31c.jpg

Hard pass.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I think this game is doing itself a huge disservice with that god-awful art-style. I'm not even a graphics whore, I've played some of the ugliest games known to mankind and loved them, but this looks like the videogame equivalent of the "inclusive", "current-year", designed-by-a-black-gay-trans-jewish-crippled-frighteningly-obese-health-at-all-sizes kind of corporate dystopia art-style that's been all the rage with all the "big tech" companies the past few years.

It pretty much is becoming the Hitler's Mustache of art styles. There's a reason why that style of mustache, which was fairly popular up until Hitler, went to the way side from the 1940s to even 80 years later. You're right that this style tends to appear typically on left wing, large corporate materials such as when Google decides to recognize a holiday or when they put someone else on their highlights as opposed to a larger event which involves white people such as the day of the Wright Brothers' first flight. At some point, people start associating that thing with a negative context. Of course, this game might have been being developed before large corporations started using type of style in their propaganda, which is unfortunate for the creator of the game.

thesecret1

Arcane
I like the idea of "rebuilding" things – makes you have a tangible impact on the game world an gives you a feeling of progress. Art style sucks but I can stomach it. I think the displayed combat is the real weakness – from what I can see in the trailer, it's sponges plus a lot of LMB mashing.

I might still give it a whirl eventually (probably after it leaves Early Access), but I don't really expect anything spectacular from it.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
RPG reviews? We don't have space for that on the front page! Some random action trash announcement? OH YES, LET'S POST MORE

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So I should grab it eh?

Oh? Bleh! You know, in this case the PD should be an option not forced. Just drains my enthusiasm this time. Soooooo..... maybe if desparate.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
RPG reviews?

If you're talking about the majority of gaming sites out there, I stopped paying attention to RPG reviews a long time ago. In fact, I'm surprised "gamer gate" took as long as it did. It was pretty obvious what was going on in the very early 2000s.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
s-l300.jpg

s-l400.jpg

super rare holo...
29271_Product.jpg

holomental
c598f0eaf472d77161383928f1fe5b6d.jpg

the_elementals_cave_by_trukket-d49lbb0.png
Does base rebuilding work well for a pd arpg game?

Isn't the game rando-algo-gen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom