Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

Star Wars Galaxies is basically the only videogame that treated Jedi like how they should be in that era. Incredibly rare, and if you became a jedi, you always died eventually.
Of course people's power fantasies caused them to revise this so that anyone could be a jedi and there was no downside to doing such.
It makes me genuinely angry that WoW was successful and Star Wars Galaxies wasn't. The MMO crowd chose mindless repetition over dynamic and personal experiences and I have still not gotten over that.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Still playing Fallen Order. Does EA not understand that the Empire are fascists who would never employ other races in their uniforms or do they just not care?
EU is where this idea that the Empire was human-supremacist came from initially IIRC, nothing in the OT really hints at it, and the PT directly contradict the idea that Palpatine is racist (specist?). Subsequent trash like Rebels shows the Empire employing plenty of non-humans among inquisitors, so if anything the devs are being faithful to the source material.

Wasn't there an Imperial angry black woman with afro (of course!) as a pilot in the recent Squadrons game?
The whole cast was ugly and diverse. Funny thing is that in MP you had whole lobbies of people playing as the one white dude, nobody picked the diversity mystery meat.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Star Wars Galaxies is basically the only videogame that treated Jedi like how they should be in that era. Incredibly rare, and if you became a jedi, you always died eventually.
Of course people's power fantasies caused them to revise this so that anyone could be a jedi and there was no downside to doing such.
It makes me genuinely angry that WoW was successful and Star Wars Galaxies wasn't. The MMO crowd chose mindless repetition over dynamic and personal experiences and I have still not gotten over that.
Why be mad when both were shit?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Still playing Fallen Order. Does EA not understand that the Empire are fascists who would never employ other races in their uniforms or do they just not care?
EU is where this idea that the Empire was human-supremacist came from initially IIRC, nothing in the OT really hints at it, and the PT directly contradict the idea that Palpatine is racist (specist?). Subsequent trash like Rebels shows the Empire employing plenty of non-humans among inquisitors, so if anything the devs are being faithful to the source material.

It originated in WEG Star Wars then was applied to canon. Disknee's fan fiction has it as well as part of their "canon".

Ezekiel

Arcane

So it's just a coincidence that any time the Imperials were shown in the original trilogy it was all white men while the Rebels looked like this:

Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-1983-4-K83-v1-3-35mm-TN1-mkv-snapshot-00-48-24-276.jpg

Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-1983-4-K83-v1-3-35mm-TN1-mkv-snapshot-00-48-59-812.jpg

I see six different species and two or three (human) races there. (One of the yellow-dressed pilots on the left may be East Asian.)

J1M

Arcane
Star Wars Galaxies was always going to succeed or fail based on how it treated Jedi. They fucked that up. Either by not understanding how important it was or by having no idea how to solve it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I feel like a Sith just forcing my way through that orange planet of Darth Mauls who don't want me there and murdering all of them.

That ogre above became a boss with a dual bladed lightsaber. I guess the game wanted me to use my own dual blades. I didn't. It looks cool on someone like Darth Maul but is kind of boring to use. Or maybe it's just the game.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Another thing I hate about these cinematic games is that you often don't know if proceeding somewhere will prevent you from taking another path until much later. I chose the story path without thinking it would block me off from the other, had my lightsaber broken in a cutscene and then tried the other path but couldn't open the gold chest containing a health stem at the end of it because everybody was agroed and I didn't have a weapon to fight them with. Oh, and then right after I had to go through this tediously long Jedi snow planet without any checkpoints. I got bored and just quit out of my game, but went back into it to see where I'd have to continue from the next time, and it's back at the goddamn ship, about fifteen minutes back. I'd thought MAYBE they'd give me an auto-checkpoint somewhere, since they didn't even space the Dark Souls-like checkpoints out properly. Speaking of chests, that's another thing this game is so much shittier at than Dark Souls and where the soullessness of EA really shows itself. A lot of the items you find in Dark Souls you'd never use, but at least the chests and loot have a reason for being there. Here they all contain cosmetic skins for your lightsaber, ship and droid companion.

I might be able to go back to that golden chest with the stem after this snow level. Annoying that I couldn't just get it then because the game decided I shouldn't get the interact button on the chest while I was unarmed.

wahrk

Learned
So it's just a coincidence that any time the Imperials were shown in the original trilogy it was all white men while the Rebels looked like this:

Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-1983-4-K83-v1-3-35mm-TN1-mkv-snapshot-00-48-24-276.jpg

Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-1983-4-K83-v1-3-35mm-TN1-mkv-snapshot-00-48-59-812.jpg

I see six different species and two or three (human) races there. (One of the yellow-dressed pilots on the left may be East Asian.)

In the first two movies the rebel alliance looks like this:

Yavin_base_briefing_room.jpg

symmetry.png

13427947_2.jpg

Also Palpatine is constantly shown with multiple alien bureaucrats/aides/lackeys throughout the prequels. I have no problem with Fallen Order ignoring the “speciest” (?) concept of the Empire, it was an EU invention and it never made much sense anyways.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The rebel faction went through a period of strict CRT restructuring. If you think about it, it explains a lot of the state of things in the latest trilogy.

wahrk

Learned
it was an EU invention and it never made much sense anyways.
It made sense given that entire alien species threw their lot with the rebels. Dunno how much of that is actually implied (or outright stated) in the original trilogy though.

It’s only implied in the sense that several aliens (and alien ships) fight with the rebels, and that’s only really portrayed in RotJ. In the first two films both the Empire and Rebels are uniformly human. There’s never any explicit example of “speciesism” shown anywhere in the films.

I say it doesn’t make sense because aliens still occupy higher bureaucratic positions even after the Emperor comes to power in RotS. Plus the Empire is shown hiring aliens at least twice in the OT. The concept feels awkwardly shoehorned into a setting where it really doesn’t fit, IMO.

Vatnik Wumao
I say it doesn’t make sense because aliens still occupy higher bureaucratic positions even after the Emperor comes to power in RotS. Plus the Empire is shown hiring aliens at least twice in the OT. The concept feels awkwardly shoehorned into a setting where it really doesn’t fit, IMO.
Eh, I think that it makes sense as a xenophobic outgrowth of gepolitics. And while the Empire might be prejudiced, it's enlightened enough as to make use of aliens when it's in their interests. Treating them warily can be explained either as a matter of preexisting prejudice spread across all layers of imperial society and/or just as a matter of pragmatism on the part of the high level human bureaucrats since a humanocentric attitude could have benefits for brass morale (which they'd presumably consider as outweighing the negative consequences of alienating some members of its non-human communities). Perhaps it doesn't fit the film canon, but it certainly worked well for the EU (thinking of things like the Chiss Ascendancy and their nuanced relations with the Empire, Imperial prejudices adding extra depth particularly in the EU's portrayal of Chiss characters that were in the service of the Empire such as the iconic Grand Admiral Thrawn).

wahrk

Learned
Eh, I think that it makes sense as a xenophobic outgrowth of gepolitics. And while the Empire might be prejudiced, it's enlightened enough as to make use of aliens when it's in their interests. Treating them warily can be explained either as a matter of preexisting prejudice spread across all layers of imperial society and/or just as a matter of pragmatism on the part of the high level human bureaucrats since a humanocentric attitude could have benefits for brass morale (which they'd presumably consider as outweighing the negative consequences of alienating some members of its non-human communities). Perhaps it doesn't fit the film canon, but it certainly worked well for the EU (thinking of things like the Chiss Ascendancy and their nuanced relations with the Empire, Imperial prejudices adding extra depth particularly in the EU's portrayal of Chiss characters that were in the service of the Empire such as the iconic Grand Admiral Thrawn).

Sure, I mean you could definitely explain it this way (and I think this is basically how the EU treated it). It’s just not something that’s explicitly part of the films, like you said. You have to extrapolate pretty heavily from minor details in the OT to build up this whole concept. Which is fine, I just don’t agree with the idea that this concept of species prejudice was always a core part of the Empire in the films, as opposed to being an idea that grew out of the EU after the fact.

It worked for Thrawn (and the Chiss at large) because Zahn invented the whole paradigm specifically to give Thrawn more robust characterization.

I generally give Zahn credit for taking what was a budget concern (lack of aliens in the Empire) and turning it into a semi-cohesive bit of world-building, but the problem is it all falls apart once you leave the Zahn trilogy; even in the hey-day of the EU there were too many cooks in the kitchen to retain even that most basic level of consistency.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

It worked for Thrawn (and the Chiss at large) because Zahn invented the whole paradigm specifically to give Thrawn more robust characterization.

I generally give Zahn credit for taking what was a budget concern (lack of aliens in the Empire) and turning it into a semi-cohesive bit of world-building, but the problem is it all falls apart once you leave the Zahn trilogy; even in the hey-day of the EU there were too many cooks in the kitchen to retain even that most basic level of consistency.

Zahn got the idea from West End Games Star Wars as it was prominent there.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished the game. I gotta say, that ending is one of the worst in recent memory.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Please don't let the new game's subtitle be "Rising Order," there's enough games with "Rising" as it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom