Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

cruel

Cipher
There was tons of unique and neat stuff to find in BotW,

Porky, can you please provide some examples here? I mean 'objective facts', not 'I think so'? I'm really curious what is this tons of unique stuff you mentioned, if it's not Korok Seeds, another stick that will break in few hits or new meat to mix with apples for a stew. Elden Ring is clearly not a perfect game, but complaining about exploration and citing BoTW as a good example is definitely 'interesting'.

I must say I'm really happy that From doesn't follow Codex to get ideas for their next game. If they did, we would get Elden Ring 2 with 3x larger and empty map (BoTW), anything of interest hidden underground (BoTW), breakable weapons after few hits (BoTW), no character leveling (BoTW), combat system replaced with KCD combat (imagine fun boss fights or fighting duos / triples), etc.

dacencora

It ain’t worth it man. He’s not arguing from any reasonable place. He just loves to make a ridiculous statement and then argue into the ground with anyone who calls bullshit. I’m sure he’ll rate my post as either butthurt or FAKE NEWS which is fine, but he’s not really worth the effort because he just wants to argue.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
As annoying as weapon durability was in BotW, it did make weapons sustain their value as rewards for most of the game. Compared to ER where you find one unique weapon every 15 minutes only to stash it and never look at it again, because you:
- don't have the upgrade materials to get it to the same level as your current weapon
- already have a very op weapon equipped
- are building around a specific weapon art and can't use a unique weapon
- don't scale the stats the weapon is using
or simply because many weapons in this game suck major balls compared to the top choices.

Consumables in BotW were also better. I was actually stoked to find specific enemy types, because killing those yielded me the necessary ingredients. The only enemy type in ER that you might say that about is the turtle and if you're attacking those, you already lost.

dacencora

Having a multitude of weapon options is bad? You’re mad that having a build limits your weapon choices? I…I am just not sure what to say…

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Consider the possibility that the weapons you don't like in ER might become even less likeable with BotW's durability system.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Didn't one of the Dark Souls have weapon durability as well? I'm not arguing for weapon durability in ER anyway. With all the hp bloat the enemies have and the limited weapon swap capability it would be pure aids.

What I'm saying is that while on its own it was annoying in BotW, it had a positive effect on other systems of the game like loot and combat variety.

Having a multitude of weapon options is bad? You’re mad that having a build limits your weapon choices? I…I am just not sure what to say…
No, you retard. I'm saying that most of the weapon loot has no value in ER for any particular playthrough. I am glad the people who like trying out different builds have many toys to play with, but I bet those are a tiny minority of the player base. I bet most people will play through this game once, upgrading their weapons once or twice until they find the overpowered combo. On subsequent playthroughs the exploration magic is gone anyway.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Didn't one of the Dark Souls have weapon durability as well? I'm not arguing for weapon durability in ER anyway. With all the hp bloat the enemies have and the limited weapon swap capability it would be pure aids.
Weapon durability in earlier souls was replenished by either resting or spending a negligible amount of runes echoes souls. Putting aside very unusual challenge runs and weapons that expended it as "mana" to use their special power, it was a mechanic that would never come up during regular gameplay. Sure, there was the occasional "oh shit, I forgot to repair my sword... time to walk back to the bonfire", but it was nothing more than a very minor nuisance.

dacencora

No, you retard. I'm saying that most of the weapon loot has no value in ER for any particular playthrough. I am glad the people who like trying out different builds have many toys to play with, but I bet those are a tiny minority of the player base. I bet most people will play through this game once, upgrading their weapons once or twice until they find the overpowered combo. On subsequent playthroughs the exploration magic is gone anyway.

So having lots of different weapon options is bad? I still just don’t understand your complaint. You’re saying that the loot is bad because a lot of it doesn’t apply to your specific build? What’s the solution to that, besides simplifying the character building? If you’re going for a STR build, a dagger probably will never be a good find. Should the game dynamically only let you find weapons that apply to your build?

I just don’t understand the nature of your complaint tbh.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here

So having lots of different weapon options is bad? I still just don’t understand your complaint. You’re saying that the loot is bad because a lot of it doesn’t apply to your specific build? What’s the solution to that, besides simplifying the character building? If you’re going for a STR build, a dagger probably will never be a good find. Should the game dynamically only let you find weapons that apply to your build?

You seem retarded. I'll do a last effort:

MORE OPTIONS = NOT BAD = GOOD
WORTHLESS LOOT = NOT GOOD FOR EXPLORATION = BAD

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

You seem retarded. I'll do a last effort:

MORE OPTIONS = NOT BAD = GOOD
WORTHLESS LOOT = NOT GOOD FOR EXPLORATION = BAD
he is only pretending to be retarded

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Weapon durability in earlier souls was replenished by either resting or spending a negligible amount of runes echoes souls. Putting aside very unusual challenge runs and weapons that expended it as "mana" to use their special power, it was a mechanic that would never come up during regular gameplay. Sure, there was the occasional "oh shit, I forgot to repair my sword... time to walk back to the bonfire", but it was nothing more than a very minor nuisance.

With the exception of Dark Souls 2 on PC where the higher frame rate doubled durability loss and you got weird things like hitting corpses taking durability for every frame the weapon was passing through the corpse. That combined with dex weapons like katanas having a lower durability meant that depending on your loadout, you might want to roll around with multiple weapons equipped and be prepared to swap them out. Hitting hard targets like armoured knights and mastodons sucked balls.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
He may not be the most fearsome opponent, but he has class.

w59bks8hmbn81.gif

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I don't recall Pinwheel being a memorable encounter, but then again I only fought him once each Dark Souls playthrough so don't have as much familiarity with him as a certain other poster. :martini:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I gotta hurry and finish this thing i'm curious to see this thot in action but i'm purposedly avoiding watching anything so i can face her completely in the dark.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Banished knight Engvall is a freaking chad. I can't believe I was fighting bosses with just the jellyfish when I could have had that on my side. This game is way more fun with some light guide usage. I'm looking at the map on the wiki when I think I'm done exploring an area to see if I missed any dungeons. I almost always have missed a few. I resisted doing that last time because I didn't want to ruin the adventure but I just missed all the best stuff and ended up having to grind levels to compensate.

Glintstone pebble + summons is a pretty broken combo. Straight swords are actually better than greatswords because they're much easier to hit with and their stat prereqs are just what my wretch had to start with! Playing like this almost feels like cheating, but if I'm not supposed to use broken OP shit then why are the enemies such bastards? Those giant bears deserve to get 50 glintstone pebbles to their fucking faces.

I'm demolishing enemies that were extremely difficult for me last time. Last time I was level 31 when I killed Margit the Fell Omen. This time I was level 12.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Saing that a boss is "unfair" because it doesn't "play by the rules" has to be one of the cringiest takes I've ever heard. The video is still very informative, though. Something that might be useful to add is that there are other bosses that are immune to stance-breaks during specific moves: I know for a fact that Margit, Morgott, Godrick, and Mohg cannot be stance-broken during their "phase-transitioning" attacks (you still deal posture damage, but when you empty their poise bar nothing happens and it simply refills). I also suspect that Godrick might be immune to stance-breaks during certain long animations, but I still haven't confirmed this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom