Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As I've posted here before

Chair-kicking moment is additional evidence that my ancient source who told me that Mitsoda was an egotistical primadonna who was difficult to work with was on the level. :M

Those quotes provide less than zero useful information.

Dangerhairs have no setting between zero and excommunication. They'd say the same thing whether he murdered someone at a company picnic or accidentally misgendered someone's cat.

For the sake of sharing everything I've been told from people who worked on the game directly, I feel it necessary to include it even if it is less than useful. Neither of the two were willing to share more than that. Cara Ellison and Rik Schaeffer spoke highly of him but the impression I got was that many others thought his exit was long overdue. Sure, maybe Mitsoda didn't stick to a script written in LGBTQWERTY and that bothered some people. It could have been that. Considering Mitsoda and Ellison were both cackling about including "depressed bisexual himbos" and other Seattle sterotypes in Bloodlines 2, I could see how those two could have annoyed the fuck out of everyone. I have no idea.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
Considering Mitsoda and Ellison were both cackling about including "depressed bisexual himbos" and other Seattle sterotypes in Bloodlines 2, I could see how those two could have annoyed the fuck out of everyone.

Have you a source for the statement above? Because we still don't know if Mitsoda was fired because he was too woke or not woke enough. I would guess the latter, judging from his writing in Bloodlines 1 and some things in V5 like infamous Rudi.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
sgS7Haz.jpg

:lol:

Looks like I still have to keep mentioning that Brian wasn't in a coma for the past 15 years and is completely on board with the Current Thing. Extremely confident "politics" were not the reason he was fired.
MCA3Inx.png

Anyway the himbo crap is from https://www.rebind.io/the-rebind-po...on-vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-ii-4799/

Extremely confident "politics" were not the reason he was fired.
What! Roguey anon! Good strong friend anon! Mitsoda anon is not extremely confident anon any metric anon! Is not! He did marriage screeching harpy anon and he does need emotional support glove anon and he did lose game anon to American Seattle millenial shyster developer anon and he is American California cuckold nonsense KNEELER anon so he is not extremely confident anon! Is not! You are a good strong friend anon!
EdvseVo.png

Wesp5

Arcane

So you mean "politics" were not involved at all or do you mean Mitsoda was not woke enough and this could have been a reason? Because the only other thing I can imagine is him persisting that things are done the way he writes them while the rest of the team disagrees. And I don't really believe that because his friend Kai was fired at the same time who should have been on his side. I also know that the producer Florian left on his own even before the firings and he never said anything about a connection with Mitsoda being too difficult.

Uh, a 3h podcast, I don't know if I can stomach that ;)!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Mitsoda was fired from Obsidian once (by Chris Avellone, no less!). Before anything else, the most likely theory is that he was fired from Hardsuit for similar reasons.

So you mean "politics" were not involved at all or do you mean Mitsoda was not woke enough and this could have been a reason? Because the only other thing I can imagine is him persisting that things are done the way he writes them while the rest of the team disagrees. And I don't really believe that because his friend Kai was fired at the same time who should have been on his side. I also know that the producer Florian left on his own even before the firings and he never said anything about a connection with Mitsoda being too difficult.

How can wokeness play a contributing factor to his firing? By his own account, he stayed on the game long enough to say "the story is pretty much done." If Mitsoda's politics were not in line with what Paradox wanted in the game they were pitched on and then approved, why did they not boot him much earlier? That would mean Paradox were misled into what game Hardsuit Labs were making for several years, finding out how and why, and then deciding to proceed with the development without his and Cluney's involvement (and the rest of HSL for that matter) over what gets released eventually.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
If Mitsoda's politics were not in line with what Paradox wanted in the game they were pitched on and then approved, why did they not have boot him much earlier?

This might have been exactly what has happened. Florian once told me that in the end Paradox wanted a different game compared to what they wanted when development started! I don't know if this is about politics or gameplay or whatever, but I think during the BL2 development time the CEO of Paradox changed and has now changed back.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What! Roguey !! Good strong friend !! Mitsoda ! is not extremely confident ! any metric !! Is not! He did marriage screeching harpy ! and he does need emotional support glove ! and he did lose game ! to American Seattle millenial shyster developer ! and he is American California cuckold nonsense KNEELER ! so he is not extremely confident !! Is not! You are a good strong friend !!

I meant I was confident. It's true that Brian's level of confidence varies with the situation. He convinced a coworker to leave her husband for him and then very likely cheated on her years later leading to their own divorce, so he seems to be quite confident with the ladies (pretty easy when you're a 6'4/193 cm silver fox)

The writing team loved him.
As I've mentioned before, he was the one who got Ellison hired. Everyone there was on the same page re: politics, just not other production-related matters.

If Mitsoda's politics were not in line with what Paradox wanted in the game they were pitched on and then approved, why did they not have boot him much earlier?

This might have been exactly what has happened. Florian once told me that in the end Paradox wanted a different game compared to what they wanted when development started! I don't know if this is about politics or gameplay or whatever, but I think during the BL2 development time the CEO of Paradox changed and has now changed back.

Paradox ordered a game, they were okay with where it was going and then changed their minds when they saw what they got? Even with the CEO change, Fredrik Wester was still on the board of directors at Paradox. There couldn't have been surprises unless some people who acted as communication channels were misleading upper Paradox leadership about what was going in and what was going on with the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Paradox ordered a game, they were okay with where it was going and then changed their minds? Even with the CEO change, Fredrik Wester was still on the board of directors at Paradox. It's not like he dipped out completely.
He may have had a seat on the board, but the calls were no longer his to make (hence why he had to step back in as a CEO after Ebba's decisions ran Paradox into the ground).

Avellone alluded to a change in scope in 2018 https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...adox-interactive.126124/page-540#post-7554651

And a glassdoor review likely from Christian Schlüter as Wesp noted: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...adox-interactive.126124/page-531#post-7443925

Wesp5

Arcane
Paradox ordered a game, they were okay with where it was going and then changed their minds when they saw what they got?

Maybe. Didn't Paradox shut down WW USA because of political background in a PnP book? I have the "Berlin by Night" source book at home and some real world Nazis are described as being vampires there. How could that have been released today?

Paradox ordered a game, they were okay with where it was going and then changed their minds when they saw what they got?

Maybe. Didn't Paradox shut down WW USA because of political background in a PnP book? I have the "Berlin by Night" source book at home and some real world Nazis are described as being vampires there. How could that have been released today?

Yeah, Paradox took away White Wolf's autonomy after controversy that came from a Camarilla sourcebook which linked recent LGBT hate crimes in Chechnya to the lore.

The section is as follows:

The recurring international controversy over the persecution of homosexuals is a clever media manipulation designed to keep the focus on Sharia law, away from the true inner workings of the republic. While homosexuals are indeed held in detention facilities for days, and humiliated, starved, tortured, and eventually fed upon and killed, this is not the point. The point is to distract from the truth of what Chechnya has become. That said, even among the Kindred [vampires of the Camarilla] any kind of “homosexual behavior” is punished harshly. ... There is unfortunately nothing we can do for our brothers and sisters in Chechnya who suffer under this — interference is ill-advised at this point, but should any Kindred (or even kine [mortals]) seek asylum within regnums under our control, granting it may win allies to our side who are not just well-trained in combat and thankful to us, but also knowledgeable in the ways of a people who might already be preparing to attack us.

Paradox ordered a game, they were okay with where it was going and then changed their minds? Even with the CEO change, Fredrik Wester was still on the board of directors at Paradox. It's not like he dipped out completely.
He may have had a seat on the board, but the calls were no longer his to make (hence why he had to step back in as a CEO after Ebba's decisions ran Paradox into the ground).

Avellone alluded to a change in scope in 2018 https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/vampire-the-masquerade-–-bloodlines-2-vaporware-vtmb-sequel-from-paradox-interactive.126124/page-540#post-7554651

And a glassdoor review likely from Christian Schlüter as Wesp noted: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/vampire-the-masquerade-–-bloodlines-2-vaporware-vtmb-sequel-from-paradox-interactive.126124/page-531#post-7443925

I'll be sure to keep this in mind if I even think about giving Paradox the benefit of doubt ever again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom