Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, i bumped my toon to SL70 and +15 (+6) weapon upgrade and i still get no connections in the Root area. Fucking overleveled n00bs.

Andnjord

Arcane
Lmao, i bumped my toon to SL70 and +15 (+6) weapon upgrade and i still get no connections in the Root area. Fucking overleveled n00bs.
For reference, in my last run I had a +15 weapon and SL 75 when fighting Radahn, didn't do any farming or vaccuming up content and was getting non-stop connections for coop after beating him so that seems to be a normal level for that point in the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Hey, i got a connection!

But it was for that stupid Erdree boss in the beginning i mean come on i wanna fight the Fia's simps so i can put my knewl weapon art to use and wow the host with muh fashion.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
For reference, in my last run I had a +15 weapon and SL 75 when fighting Radahn, didn't do any farming or vaccuming up content and was getting non-stop connections for coop after beating him so that seems to be a normal level for that point in the game.

According to this and the summoning range calculator i should be within range, though barely:

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Recommended+Level+by+Location

SL70 is how i actually wanted to finish the game lmao (and finish NG+ at 150 giving me a neat place to park my character. It's what i did in DS1 except i finished NG+ at 125 there) for now i'll just stay like this as i think the underground areas are just fucked for summons anyway no matter the level and i want to get to the capital first before considering whether i want to level more just to enjoy co-op in the later areas.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I got to deeproot depths at level 60 on my first playthrough. Must be something wrong with me!

If i didn't dump all my runes on vendor stuff, weapon upgrades etc i'd probably be well past SL120 by now. I got over 350000 runes clearing the entirety of Deeproot and i haven't died once, just sweeped the whole place clean in one go, except for Fia's champions which i still have to do. That's a shit ton of runes and i'm not even near end game yet.

I can see any completist who uses every rune to level would probably get to SL200 with ease by the end of the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I got summoned for Fia's orbiters!

Double slash is fancy as shit, too bad it actually impossible to use in PvP lmao. I tried but the wind up is way too slow.

Bosses too forget about it. Unless you can catch them from the back, like in co-op.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Double slash is fancy as shit, too bad it actually impossible to use in PvP lmao. I tried but the wind up is way too slow.

Bosses too forget about it.
Maybe not the entire triple combo, but getting the first two part is definitely possible. If I can fit a fully charged r2 with Guts greatsword into boss fights then anything is possible ;)
Hell, I even managed to use the full Eleanore's twinblade weapon art against Radahn, no reason for you not to use the Double Slash.

Andnjord

Arcane
Lmao i got 250 rune arcs do you guys think i'm overdoing it with the co-op?
Maybe a little excessive, but think of all the poor hapless hosts you helped along the way. Have you been using Shabriri's Woe by the way?
Lyric Suite, Elden Ring's Sword Saint :love:

Although if that's how many succesful coops you've done, I shudder imagining how many were with mages who never learned to dodge or to raise vitality :cry:

Caim

Arcane

A challenge run that turned out to have some pretty interesting info. If you skip talking to Melina you can't enter Leyndell after beating the Draconic Tree Sentinel because the golden barrier that requires two Great Runes will be up, even if you have the runes. You can pass this barrier by taking the trapped chest from the Weeping Peninsula to the approach to the divine tower, then have someone invade you from the bottom of the elevator shaft and send the elevator up to unlock it (timestamp at 9:20 for this). You can then to the entire area as normal, but after beating Mohg the catacombs that lead to the Three Fingers will be blocked by the golden barrier that is up as long as Morgott is alive will be there, even if you've already beaten Morgott. And since you need to talk to Melina to get to use the Grand Lift of Rold, it ends there.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Have you been using Shabriri's Woe by the way?

I do, especially when i see a mage.

If the guy has a big shield and armor i play as the caster though, using rotten breath and shit like that.

Depends on the boss too. I got summoned more than a dozen times on the Godskin Apostole in Altus and i got into the habit of charging the boss first thing as 99% of the times the host has no idea how to dodge his attacks and gets killed like an idiot.

Doesn't change the fact that Bloodborne, DS3, Sekiro and Elden ring bosses are harder though. They are deliberately faster, aggressive and have more moves than older bosses. And in the case of Elden ring, the have more bullshit than ever.

Bloodborne, not particularly. Sure it was the "fast and aggressive" game(it feels like Dear Esther compared to Sekiro tho), but throughout the game the bosses stayed relatively simple, 99% of the time doing one attack or 2-3 at most. You could further cripple their limbs, stun or parry most of them for visceral attacks to further level the playing field. Obviously the challenge was ramped up with DLC, but I think people remember Ludwig and:prosper: mostly due to "unpredictability" i.e. hard readability of fast attacks. Particularly the latter was doing mostly single heavy hits, and had one easy to avoid combo (or maybe gaining second in the flying phase iirc).

It was with DS3 and Pontiff Sulyvahn etc. where bosses started doing that, but with up to 6-7 hit combos depending on their mood, delaying attacks to bait and punish early dodges, combined with speed as fast as Bloodborne's or faster, despite the games archetypes and weapon choices like zweihanders etc. being very ill-suited for that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, i wonder if part of the reason i'm not as disgusted by this game as some seem to be here is that i haven't played all the other Souls that much.

I finished DS1 up to NG++, and then i had a SL1 run that was cut short in the middle of it because my sister dragged my ass in Sweden and it's pretty much abandoned now and i'll start from scratch if i ever get back to it.

Then i finished DS2 twice and DS3 once. Never played Demon Souls, Bloodborne or Sekiro.

So i don't feel burned out by the formula yet.

Also, maybe I didn't git gud there, but attack such as Godskin fatass rolling around for up 10 seconds. How do you even avoid something like that? Or is it just designed to trade estus charges from the player?

Never played Demon Souls, Bloodborne or Sekiro.

I just played DeS on the emulator, it's great, I wholly recommend it. There's an issue where rolling through boxes, tables etc. lags the game, but it's fully fixed by setting "Preferred SPU threads" to 4.

Bloodborne is their magnum opus though. Sadly it's either Sony's hardware or shovelware if you have great internet.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, Fia's Champions presented a good opportunity to show case Double Slash:

Of course, you are not gonna fool a real player like you can fool the AI here.

Andnjord

Arcane
Ok, Fia's Champions presented a good opportunity to show case Double Slash:

Of course, you are not gonna fool a real player like you can fool the AI here.

Ok, I'll admit that Double Slash on the Flamberge looks really slow, I had only been using it on the Uchigatana.

Then i finished DS2 twice and DS3 once. Never played Demon Souls, Bloodborne or Sekiro.

Sekiro is different enough that I'm barely feeling it as part of 'The From Formula'. Sure, level design follows similar principles, but that's one part where From can consistently excel at and the combat fundamentals and movement mechanics are so different that it's a breath of fresh air in comparison to 'The From Formula'.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think i found my most hated boss in the game: that fucking electro dragon.

Finding an opening to damage it it's like finding a unicorn. And the fucking camera oh God.

At least no rolling sheeps this time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom