Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOOD RPG's made by a single guy

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Faery Tale Adventure for the Commodore Amiga, with design, programming, graphics, and sound entirely by David Joiner:

vOilbtL.jpg
kjzBMpr.jpg
8utYSx5.jpg
JQUnOUH.jpg
GcJPCQp.jpg
UXhuhpW.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

My previous nick was Meredoth.

Can't picture anyone else with such a fetish for bizarre classes.

Cryomancer, Necromancer and other mage specialization = bizarre class... Anyway, this thread is not about classes, is about single guy made RPG's.

Original Mount and Blade started as a single guy (and a single girl he was married to). Not sure when the team became larger.

I believe that M&B was made by a single Turkish couple.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Cruelty Squad? I don't see such bizzare piece of work being made by more than single person, unless they have some hivemind- like connection

But is it RPG? And more importantly, is it good? I heard this game mentioned more as a meme than anything else.
From what I've seen, its a very competently made game that's intended to be as weird and insane as humanly possible. This is a good summary of it. I can't really say if its a RPG or not, but it is an immersion sim, as nebulous as that genre is.
Good game that is definitely not an rpg by any stretch of the imagination

Zanzoken

Arcane
You're missing Vogel's other big series, the Exile/Avernum series.

Vogel said in his GDC talk that his wife works on his games too, going all the way back to the first Exile. So even though he does the majority of the work he's never been a solo dev.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You're missing Vogel's other big series, the Exile/Avernum series.

Vogel said in his GDC talk that his wife works on his games too, going all the way back to the first Exile. So even though he does the majority of the work he's never been a solo dev.

True. I believe she did the art for his early games. I think it's common for "single guy" developers to outsource music and art, and I'm not sure if that disqualifies them from what this thread is looking for.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Undertale was a solo effort.

The Codex's list of best RPGs claims it gives some people here apoplexy, but hey - it is on the list.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I liked a game called Gods Lands of Infinity, pretty sure that was mostly 1 guy. There's also one called The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians which I think was 1 guy, that was pretty good. Never finished it though.

Trippy

Novice
brigand: oaxaca is great for a largely one man project. low rent mexican deus ex with ton of personality

Hell yes. Deranged, Deus Ex inspired psychopathy made by a drug-fueled expat living in Mexico. It's misunderstood as a 'nostalgia' game. No, boys, this is a work of madness coded in Dark Basic by a fucking madman. It's not retro; it's just insane. And it's an actual RPG, to boot. By the end I ended up in a party with a trusty canine and a bazooka-wielding prostitute. It is literally one of the greatest games I've ever played. Not really, but also kinda really.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was playing bloodlust 2 : Nemesis and loved that game. IS VtMB + Diablo 1 in a game. My unique critique is the lack of spells in the game, I have 48 hours on it, reached extremely deep in the dungeon and was only using poison rain, summon crow and freeze. Would be cool if you had tier based progression and more spells to learn.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I'm not sure how it is in regards to the Geister games, I think the games as they are are mostly done by one guy but he has help in other areas around the game, can't remember (zwanzig_zwoelf)
Each game had an artist on board (Vic on DGS, Thea on DGT/DGJ) to handle character portraits, and Greedwalker (the cofounder) helped with marketing / project management / testing / public stuff / additional game design.

Ryzer

Arcane

Similarly, the Bradley Wizardrys are almost entirely his work, however other people are credited for art/music/sound. This is more or less on par with the modern indie dev who uses asset packs and does everything else solo.

Reviews say "Mixed"...

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Similarly, the Bradley Wizardrys are almost entirely his work, however other people are credited for art/music/sound. This is more or less on par with the modern indie dev who uses asset packs and does everything else solo.

Reviews say "Mixed"...

90% of negative reviews are people not bothering to read the manual and then saying they don't know what's going on. The lesson is to filter out knuckleheads before they buy the game. Pierre knows what's up.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
90% of negative reviews are people not bothering to read the manual and then saying they don't know what's going on. The lesson is to filter out knuckleheads before they buy the game. Pierre knows what's up.

TBH Grimoire should have a clear combat log. I mean, when my giant fails to penetrate an rat's armor, I wanna know what he rolled against what. NOt saying that the game is bad, I loved that game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom